PDA

View Full Version : 8mm truck gun

Toney
11-07-2005, 03:37 AM
Dam touched the mouse and lost a long thread on my new project. :oops:
I'm still finding one letter at a time.

Toney
11-11-2005, 06:24 AM
sporterizing the 1903 turk wit the replacement stock. Stock"s very crudely finnished had to inlet for the bolt handle and it's not bent!

Found the reason for the big gap between the action and trigger gaurd mag. The recoil lug {crossbolt} in the stock was installed wrong. Could"nt get the nut off had to drill. Thinking about replacing bolt with bedding???

Have removed the hand guard flange of the front ring.

Have cut barrel off to 20"

Have been reshaping the stock Will post pic as soon as i get a cam. Think the stock will work ok it's not oil soaked.

Toney

Toney
12-05-2005, 08:03 AM
About time to hack the handle off. Still have to do something about the bolt in the stock. Had to do a lot of inleting

Toney
12-07-2005, 06:11 PM
Epoxed the recoil lug last night think it will work, gonna put a shim under the rear trigger gaurd screw to make up for the pillar not being there. When i tighten it now it locks the bolt up sticking up to far throught the tang.

After i inlet for the bolt release i'm going to shoot, Have'nt shot a 20" 8mm before

Wife just brought the new sog flyer in i'm off to read it

Toney
12-13-2005, 08:02 AM
Got the mounts today gonna drill and tap tomarrow. still have not did the bolt handle turned the bottles in last summer so i cannot weld myself. Thought about doing it weld less again and using antler for the ball. can do that here, and latter weld it

Have filled the rust pits on the barrel with epox, they were pretty deap in a couple of places thought about that bake on finish but will probably cammo the whole thing

mroliver77
12-13-2005, 07:58 PM
Since I got used to camo guns I paint quit a few of mine. Most of my guns are tools only and as long as they function well and dont rust I am happy. I am lucky that camo is my favorite color. I di like the cook on paints as they are tough as heck. Have you shot the 20" yet Toney? My Pal has a 20" Mosin and it is a fire breathing dragon of a gun. Your 8mm truck guh ought to be a dandy. Jay

Toney
12-13-2005, 08:38 PM
I have'nt shot it yet. Just got through drilling and tapping. Went real good, the action drilled easy got them linned up perfect. now will have to get them level the rear mount is higher than the front and tilted up just a tad. Will go to work on the rear bridge with a file

Think i will have it done {ready to shoot} by the week after xmas for the last special antlerless hunt!

Toney
12-15-2005, 03:09 AM
Got the scope on and bore sighted. It was pretty close just had to adjust the windage a little. Had the scope on an inline ML. Had shimed the front one and took a little off the rear one Gonna try to do the handle tomarrow

d-o-k
12-15-2005, 12:54 PM
Always a good sign if you get in close after a New mount fitting ! Toney don't worry about hitting the wrong keys on these damn "Puters" I'm the king of the two finger typists & cryer of .........Honey it's crashed again or something ! Come & fix the #$%&^ thing will ya[smilie=b:

Dave

Toney
12-15-2005, 11:13 PM
Shot it today, should have rembered plugs! Was cold out there that turk stuff was'nt going off untill the second hit. Think it's gonna work just got a temp handle rigged. drilled the root and drove in a allen wrench. Plan on drilling it bigger and tapping, Tryed sodering a couple but they won,t hold

Toney
12-16-2005, 12:48 AM
got it drilled out to a 1/4" got a bur stuck in it Will have to go over to my storage and get my taps. Bolt was crusty hard hard on the outside pretty soft on the inside

d-o-k
12-16-2005, 10:10 AM
got it drilled out to a 1/4" got a bur stuck in it Will have to go over to my storage and get my taps. Bolt was crusty hard hard on the outside pretty soft on the inside

This is a common heat treatment procidure on Bolts called "case hardening" It toughens the outer several thou of a inch to prevent wear & make to bolt strong without it becoming Brittle! It is a real Bitch drilling this sort of thing :cry: Trust me I speak with experiance:oops:

Dave

Toney
12-17-2005, 05:31 AM
Got it, think it will work

d-o-k
12-17-2005, 07:28 AM
Great Job! Looks great! I reckon I've seen that style of bolt handle somewhere else on a production rifle .Any suggestions as my mind is a blank on this one.

Dave

Toney
12-21-2005, 12:27 AM
Got it sighted in today was shooting good!!! groups were better than a 1 1/2 best one was 1.3" just a bullet with wider than one of the scope adjustment caps
i was shooting the hornady 170gr rn at around 2200fps {loaded for the m48 that shoots really high}

d-o-k
12-21-2005, 06:21 AM
Great news Toney [smilie=p: I don't think I'd like to be a deer in your neck of the woods anymore !Looks great as well .Happy hunting!

Dave

Toney
12-21-2005, 06:26 AM
Thanks Dave