PDA

View Full Version : Good News

versifier
06-24-2017, 01:14 PM
My back surgery went so well that this time I'm not going to have to learn a new way to shoot offhand! It will be a while before I can handle anything more than very light loads, but as I've been casting for my rifles for the last thirty-some-odd years I don't think that will be much of an issue. I still have to wait a couple of weeks before heading to the range, but I can handle that. After the last one (a full lumbar fusion) it took over two years before I was hitting consistently again and another year before I was satisfied with my accuracy. I had to go back to the very basics to find a workable position, which took several months of trial and error. I might even be able to bird hunt this fall........

SkyKid
06-24-2017, 06:24 PM
That's better than good news
it's Great news

Kirbydoc
06-24-2017, 07:49 PM
Versifier, I am absolutely delighted for you. Now of course you WILL listen to the Dr. and not do what he says "DON'T DO" right?

kodiak1
06-25-2017, 12:51 AM
Great to hear. Hopefully you heal up fast and can get doing things that you are wanting to do.

Mike in tx
06-27-2017, 03:53 PM
Great New. I will be up this summer. I am now in CT. I have a 6,5 barrel with me for a mauser.

versifier
06-28-2017, 11:58 AM
Excellent! I have four different 6.5's now - two Swedes (a milsurp, and a custom on a Yugo Mauser), a Greek 6.5M/S milsurp, and a type 38 Arisaka sporter. And two moulds, 140 & 175gr. I'm not sure if I'll be able to shoot any of them myself by then, but even if I can't, you sure can.

versifier
07-10-2017, 12:15 PM
I did finally make it to the range with my carry gun. I need a LOT of practice. Plenty of time for it though as I won't be able to shoot a real rifle for a while yet.

versifier
07-25-2017, 12:42 PM
My PT has agreed to help focus on those muscles that keep me steady shooting offhand while we work on the other issues. Two days of exercises and I can already notice myself getting steadier while standing and holding the sights on one point. Not OK'd for anything with any recoil yet, but I will shoot the pellet rifle to see my progress. When the groups tighten back up I'll know it's time for real rifles. I think I need to explain to him about cast rifle bullets and recoil. (He is or was a bird hunter when he actually had time to hunt. :neutral: I remember working 60hrs/week like he does. It sucked.)

versifier
08-02-2017, 01:00 PM
After one week of directed exercises I am now able to hold up the pellet rifle for one good (accurate) offhand shot. Not two, yet. I'll try it again after another week. Time to dig out the old Mauser and test some cast loads in her from the bench.

Mike in tx
08-02-2017, 01:15 PM
I will see you soon. Keep up the good work