PDA

View Full Version : New to reloading

echoside427
04-14-2008, 11:30 PM
I own a Glock model 22 and Model 19 as well as a Sig Sauer P229 (9mm) and I am planning on buying a Beretta 90-TWO (9mm) and as you can imagine, I am pretty sick of paying so much for ammunition so I am looking to reload....one problem, I am a babe in the woods when it comes to things like this.

I come to you all, asking for help as to what type of reloader would be the easiest to use and the simplest to use. If you could help me out, I would be much appreciative.

-Andy

klausg
04-15-2008, 01:22 AM
echo-
Start with a good manual, (or two or three) and read it; Hornady, Sierra, actually all of the major bullet manufacturers have really well-written manuals. Then there is the Lee, Lyman, or Hodgdon manuals; Lee spends a little too much time promoting their own products,(it is their manual), but it is all good information. Once you have a reasonable idea of what you're getting into then I would suggest starting with a single stage press. Remember they're your guns, not too mention your hands and eyes that you may be getting ready to destroy. This isn't a hobby you want to enter into lightly, and as I tell most people thinking about starting out, if you're getting into the hobby simply to save money, you're going into it for the wrong reason. Yes, I can reload a 9 X 19 mm cheaper than you can buy one, but you'll have to shoot a lot to recoup the cost of your press, dies, etc., not too mention the time involved. I don't want to put you off from getting into what I consider a rewarding hobby; I just think you need to do a little research so we have some common ground on which to exchange ideas.

-Klaus

runfiverun
04-15-2008, 02:21 AM
those two glocks may not be able to shoot lead bullets

welcome to the forum,
refer to above post for advice.

echoside427
04-15-2008, 11:31 AM
Thanks for the help, I put around 1000 to 1500 rounds out per every three so this is definitely something that must be done. Thanks for the tips, I was looking into the lee presses and I am willing to foot the extra cost so long as it gets the job done.

versifier
04-15-2008, 03:21 PM
Not a good idea to be loading for a .40Glock, unless you go for an aftermarket barrel with a fully supported chamber (and if you want to shoot lead bullets out of it). Brass is too stressed and often bulged after firing in Glock factory chambers, even with the newest models. If you are loading very mild loads and start with brand new brass (not once fired factory), you might get three firings out of a case. That isn't going to save you anything, and there is no guarantee of the safety of the loads after the brass has been "Glocked". For around $100, you can get a safe aftermarket barrel for your G22, then you won't have to worry about it.

I agree that you should learn on a single stage press. Move on up to something faster once you have mastered the basics and thoroughly understand each of the steps involved.
I am a big fan of Lee dies, and there is nothing wrong with their presses - they are inexpensive and certainly adequate to learn with - but I would opt for a single stage RCBS press (like a Rockchucker) or one from Hornady. Lee has NO customer service, if you have problems, it's generally your fault by their reckoning, and if you return the defective parts to them at your expense, they might or might not do anything about it. RCBS has the best CS in the industry (like Hornady and Dillon), and if you have any problems with any of their products, you call and it's: "We're sorry you had a problem. Your parts (or replacement products) are on their way to you. We apologise for any inconvenience it may have caused you." If at some point in the future you want to upgrade to a turret or a progressive press, a press from the big makers will have a resonable resale value - don't expect that with a Lee.

jlb300
04-15-2008, 05:32 PM
I must say that I have not had any problems with any Lee product that has been promtly addressed. Just me ???? I agree you will not get the resale on Lee used dies and I cant say that you will do any better with their presses. I would sugest that if you do buy a Lee press that you just plan on giving it a different spot on your bench when you upgrade. I never saw a bench that you couldnt find more than one press or more than one manufacturer of tools. Just remember this one thing I tell you " If you are not the kind of person that will read the instructions or think that you will know it all after only reading the first few chapters then you may not be the guy who should be reloading"The safety of you and OTHERS is your responsibility when you are reloading. I dont want to sound like a discourager I hope you find what you are looking for in this world of reloading. I will try to give you my $.02 worth when ever you want.
Oh, and WELCOME to the forum