PDA

View Full Version : Barnes Bullets

ancestor
08-26-2016, 01:00 AM
I am thinking about extending the bullet range to my 8x57 Mauser. The range of available bullets is fairly abysmal for the poor old 8x57 which is in the 30-06 bracket power wise. I tried to locate Highland 175 grain 0.323 dia and though highland cartridges are on sale here I cannot get anywhere with actual components even though the list them. I removed and measured one up, calculated barrel twist and all looked good however this is where it has stayed. I am now looking at a 160 grain Barnes triple shock boat tail X bullets. are still close enough for barrel twist and are available. I have no experience with Barnes but their principle seems appealing. Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Ancestor

Kirbydoc
08-26-2016, 01:06 AM
Barnes makes nice bullets. They are careful about quality but I have limited experience with them ancestor. I have only shot targets with the .224 version.

ancestor
08-26-2016, 05:13 AM
Thanks Kirbydoc. I have located the bullets and am in the process of arranging to buy. i will work up loads on this and may take the old girl up to meet a tahr all going well.

versifier
08-26-2016, 12:29 PM
I have to say that the 8x57 is one of my all time favorite cartridges. That said, all I shoot from mine is cast bullets (great for target work and medium sized game out to 150yds or so). Not much use for the longer shots you'd be making, but if you want some cast bullet data I'm happy to provide some. :mrgreen:

As to Barnes bullets, their hunting bullets are top performers for longer range hunting. Not every barrel likes them though. Solid copper, they are less dense and have a greater length/bearing surface than a lead core bullet of the same weight. Some barrels have the twist rate that can handle that, some do not. I have loaded their lighter 6.5's and some heavy .30's. No game taken yet with any of them, but my bud's -06 loves them on paper.

How did your last tahr hunt go? Did the long range loads you were trying work out?

And too, there is the seemingly irreconcilable fact that no rifle can read and some seem to defy conventional wisdom as to what twist will properly stabilize a given length bullet at a chosen speed. I know a 1/7" .556 that's sub-MOA with 45 & 50gr bullets and makes shotgun patterns with anything heavier, a .54 m/l with a 1/72" rb barrel that keeps 400gr slugs and 230gr sabots under MOA, and a 1/12" -06 that only likes 220gr bullets.

ancestor
08-28-2016, 11:01 PM
Thanks Versifier. I did not go on the last Tahr hunt sent my grand daughter instead, well it rained sleet and heavy snow/ visibility down to a yard or two for most of the trip. On the last day a bit of sun came out and they saw tahr about 1000 feet above them and no way or time to get up there. She had my crampons and Ice axe but no real experience so probably lucky the time ran out. and with Helicopters taking them in and bringing them down again one has to be ready and on stand by as the window for the chopper in and out can be very small indeed at this time of the year. Spring is just around the corner now so things could be different from next month. The 30-06 is still in the north Island all wrapped up. I expect to be up there in Nov thru Jan . Son and Grandson are up on the Volcanic Plateau but it is foggy and bits of flurries up there too. The river ford into the Kaimanawa Range is running too high to ford at the moment, should be down by the time we get up there. I have ordered a box of 160grain boat tail triple shock Barnes for the 8mm from over your way,all being well I should be able to start working up a load before I go north.
I shall keep in touch re the Banes and the 30-06 as what happens shared is always helpful.
Best Regards Ancestor.