PDA

View Full Version : Case trimming die vs case trimming tool

pinne65
03-09-2008, 09:32 PM
Does anyone have any input on using a die to trim the cases to length vs using a lathe like case trimming tool?

jlb300
03-09-2008, 11:41 PM
I cant say that one is better but just which you prefer. I like the LEE caselength guage tools. They thread into a hand held cutter and the mandrel will let you trim to exact length every time. Look in the Lee website for an Idea

kodiak1
03-10-2008, 01:50 AM
pinne65 have both systems if you have the correct pilot the lathe style is probably the cleanest.
If you are doing real major brass alteration the file die is probably better.
Pick your poison and fly at her man one is as good as the other really.
Ken.

runfiverun
03-10-2008, 02:47 AM
it's speed vs exact
you can get really close or dead on with the lathe types but usually
more like in a tolerance range of 1or2 thou
with a power trimmer you can take a bit of brass off pretty quick.

versifier
03-10-2008, 04:29 AM
File trim dies are "older technology", but are very accurate. Their downside is that they get brass shavings from the file into the workings of your press that have to be cleaned out. Cranking a lathe type trimmer for a large lot of cases can raise a few blisters; the systems are much improved by adding a power drill, and they are also very accurate if set correctly. Power trimmers are accurate, too, and may be the fastest method. Again, proper setup is critical. Lee trimmers are fast and easy, but may not produce as square a case mouth as other methods, but for hunting and most target ammo, it is not enough to cause any appreciable accuracy problems. If you have a rifle with a match chamber capable of better than .5MOA accuracy, then it may begin to be an issue, but for 99% of loading, the trimming method is irrelevant as long as you have some way to reduce the case length from max to trim-to for safe functioning.

pinne65
03-14-2008, 01:07 AM
Ok,

I got the RCBS trimmer. Now I got blisters on my index finger. No J/K. The cases I trimmed are now within 0.0015" of each other. Is that what you would expect, better, worse?

runfiverun
03-14-2008, 01:51 AM
that will be good enough for most any thing even counting measuring errors
you are as good as it needs to be
like versifier said

versifier
03-14-2008, 06:05 PM
I wouldn't have any complaints there, either.

BTW, you can remove the crank handle and hook up an electric drill, a little rosin will help the chuck grip the round shaft better if necessary. I have done that for both my RCBS and my Lyman trimmers and saved a lot of wear and tear on my fingers.

pinne65
03-19-2008, 05:11 AM
Ok,

When I get more cases and a better feel for the process I'll get a drill.

Thanks!

drklynoon
03-31-2008, 01:11 AM
I'm not sure if the rcbs is like the lyman trimmer But I have found that the lyman is more accurate than that. If They are the same I would check and make sure that before you tighten the case holder mechanizm the case is firmly pushed all the way back. This way they are the same every time.