PDA

View Full Version : 2015 South Texas hunting with "Mike in tx"

Clayt
01-26-2015, 01:53 PM
I had the pleasure of hunting with "Mike in tx" in South Texas last week.
We hunted for hogs at night and they didn't show up. I even set the trap and no hogs came the 4 days/nights the trap was set.

We got rained out the night we were supposed to go to the "hot spot".

The soil turns EVIL in Texas when it rains. It becomes a combo slippery-sticky mess that collects on your boots and makes them weigh 20lbs each.
That explains the mud tires on many trucks!

Mike had to work, but I stayed behind with others from our hunting group.
We hunted ducks and doves. We did pretty well and I helped break the all time yearly record for number of ducks.
Being from New England, I'm accustomed to pass shooting, whereas S.TX hunting is over "tanks" (man made irrigation pond, to us northerners).
I did VERY well with the flying ducks, some of the best shooting I can remember. One new guy even asked if I ever miss!

I used a borrowed Winchester 1200 12ga w/modified choke, for duck Remington 2 3/4" non-magnum #4 steel, that patterned simply wonderful! I used 7 1/2 heavy handicap trap load AAs for dove. It was kinda like cheating being I'm "tuned" to that load from trap shooting.

I went from Texas sunburn to NH snowplow in 7 hours. Had a great time, but glad I'm home before the storm that's predicted.

Hellrazor
01-26-2015, 09:30 PM
May the snow gods love you...

versifier
01-26-2015, 09:42 PM
We're not supposed to get much more than a foot, Clayt shouldn't get over two where he is. Glad I don't live farther south. Boston, NY and Philly are down for the count though. :mrgreen:

Hellrazor
01-26-2015, 10:34 PM
My forecast has been up and down more than an interns undies during Clintons term....

1-3, 2-4, 3-6, 6-10, 8-14, 9-15, 8-12, 6-10, 4-8, some are sticking with 6-10 or 8-14, some are wimping out.

SkyKid
01-26-2015, 11:22 PM
No snow here:razz:

Mike in tx
01-27-2015, 03:06 PM
No snow here:razz:

None here either. I may hunt with Clayt this fall if he promises not to scare the game away. LOL He has had some lousy luck going for the hogs.

versifier
01-27-2015, 04:48 PM
Even the best day working falls far short of the worst day hunting.

SkyKid
01-27-2015, 09:26 PM
Even the best day working falls far short of the worst day hunting.

I whole heartily agree Versifier

Hellrazor
01-28-2015, 10:06 PM
None here either. I may hunt with Clayt this fall if he promises not to scare the game away. LOL He has had some lousy luck going for the hogs.

He was wearing his new french cologne "Oh de Obamasan". Even pigs won't get near it and skunks run away :)

Clayt
01-29-2015, 12:04 PM
I traded my cologne for "essence of corn", still no dice! :-?

Mike, I told you before, 5 gallons of diesel and the proper prevailing wind doesn't scare the game "away" if you are taking stand posted in the proper escape route!
We can't hunt where I did last year, the landowner is still pissed about the fire. The good news is he was able to rebuild. Geesh who knew the wind could be so unpredictable? :shock:

Hellrazor
01-29-2015, 09:23 PM
It must have been genetically modified corn... they didn't like it.