PDA

View Full Version : Warning from power company

Clayt
12-09-2014, 09:06 PM
The power company did a robo call to advise customers of possible power outage as a result of the looming storm.

Like the ol'farmer said when the horse died, "Ain't never done that before!"

Great start on winter, 3rd ice storm and possible 2nd outage and it isn't even "winter" yet! [smilie=p:

SkyKid
12-09-2014, 09:27 PM
So much for global warming[smilie=w:

Hellrazor
12-09-2014, 09:49 PM
I told you hell would freeze over when skykid moved south.... pay up! :)

I cursed the storm from hitting me. I topped off the diesel genset at work with a load of NRLM on Monday. No idea why they put a diesel genset in where I have full service NG.

I am on an electric company mailing list for business customers. I get all of the crazy updates and weather updates from them. Didn't hear anything yet but the 30-40mph winds are sure to get them paranoid.

versifier
12-10-2014, 12:27 AM
Ice storm here in higher elevations, cold enough to stay mostly snow in the valleys. Coming and going over Pinkham Notch this afternoon was... interesting. Dry pack snow in blizzard at noon high 20's to 4PM 29* mixed snow, sleet, rain, road snow packed or plowed, an area several hundred yards on a flat stretch of solid glare ice with hard freezing rain near the top to all rain like a downpour wipers on full to drive 30mph at about 37* at the top of the Notch between Deadman's Curve and Pinkham Camp (which washed 99.9% of the road salt off of the car), then back to snow below Wildcat and dry snow just below 30 in Gorham. I'd be surprised if we got 3" @ 7PM, but it's right in the messy range. Not everyone should be behind the wheel when conditions are like that and I did not do it by choice. I have a good front wheel drive and got it because of the way one just like it handled in a snow storm much like today's: messy, slippery, abundant opportunities for the laws of average and natural selection to collaborate on to the detriment of car, driver, passengers, including dog. They handle differently when the back is full of passengers, but they are still stabile enough to recover from a black ice skid onto packed snow. I bought mine the next fall. Dog and I had no problems today though they had a fleet of small towtrucks and larger wreckers heading up into the Notch when we were coming down so something nasty could have happened somewhere up behind us. They'd have had to deal with a 6mi cell-dead zone so someone had to drive out of it either north or south to be able to call anyone for help. And there was a downright dangerous wicked slippery stretch like a skating rink - I crossed it mostly on momentum trying for around 30 on the crown of the road so I didn't slide off to either side, then found myself with traction again as the road surface at slightly higher elevation rose above freezing and drove on up and through the Notch. I would call it "interesting" in as much as I have had to do it regularly as a matter of course in often nasty weather for many years. "Interesting" in the sense that nothing was coming the other way when I got up the slippery part, in which case it would have gone from interesting to expletive and probably not in a good direction from there. Cars and tires especially are much better of late for serious winter driving than they used to be, but they're not ice skates. From there north to home it was normal winter snowstorm driving. I hate driving, and I hate driving in nasty winter weather most of all.

Mike in tx
12-10-2014, 01:08 AM
Y'all be careful up there. It is cold here, high of 67 yesterday, now 83 in Edinburg, TX. What a difference. Keep the wood fires going.

versifier
12-10-2014, 01:57 AM
I am home and warm and happy. Plenty of gas for snow blower, plenty of wood for stove, gas range. If the power goes down I lose internet and phone and oil heat for no more than two hours ever. We almost never lose power right in town here next to the hydro station. The kids never get snow days here no matter how much snow falls, but they will delay for ice for two hours while they get sanders to lead the school busses. We live walking distance anyway.

Mike in tx
12-11-2014, 01:44 AM
Hope all are doing well up in northeast. Keep stoking those fires.

versifier
12-11-2014, 02:10 AM
Just hovering right around freezing. I refused to drive anywhere today. Good day to catch up on reading by the woodstove.

BBerguson
12-11-2014, 02:43 AM
We are getting it good right now! Snowing like Obama telling lies! I'll let you know how much we're supposed to get tomorrow...

BB

versifier
12-11-2014, 05:36 AM
They're saying we could get 5-6" more, but I don't think so. Still hovering right around freezing and a light mix of snow/sleet/rain/fog. Maybe an inch fallen since I cleaned up the last of what fell last night in the afternoon rain. I bet the higher elevations really got slammed though. Who knows what it will do overnight.

Clayt
12-11-2014, 11:44 AM
Not really much of an event in central and coastal NH so far. Changed to rain early and polished my driveway to a sparkling sheen. Bobsledding anyone??

versifier
12-11-2014, 02:49 PM
We got another couple inches of sleet/snow. Still above freezing mostly. Guess I should go out and blow it off the driveway and spread some sand.

Hellrazor
12-11-2014, 09:15 PM
We didn't get anything that was forecast.
Tuesday 1-3" of rain = .5"
yesterdays snow = nothing
todays snow showers coating - 1/2" is 3+" of snow and still snowing

SkyKid
12-12-2014, 01:11 AM
The best job in the world is a weather forecaster
You can be wrong all the time and never get fired:coffee:

BBerguson
12-12-2014, 02:14 AM
We got about 8 inches. Wish we'd get this Christmas Eve for the kids!

BB

Hellrazor
12-12-2014, 03:52 PM
Bizarre weather again this year. Their forecasting skills were good last night too. Forecast low 25F and it was 30F. The forecast high on Monday was 38F and it never was above 27F.

j1
01-01-2015, 02:33 PM
Obama, whats an Obama? Do you think I need one? :coffee:

Mike in tx
01-01-2015, 07:23 PM
j1 You need two or three Obamas.

versifier
01-01-2015, 08:03 PM
For what? Bear bait? Donuts work better, they don't play golf and they never take vacations.

Hellrazor
01-02-2015, 12:01 PM
j1 likes to play golf. They would be a great pair....

BBerguson
01-02-2015, 02:02 PM
I hope to have a good Obama every day. As long as I eat enough fiber in my diet I do.

BB

j1
01-03-2015, 08:58 PM
Sat 1/3/15 Two inches so far (4 p m). Not plowing till tomorrow. [smilie=s:

j1
01-03-2015, 09:04 PM
I do love to play golf but I play walking and hardly ever take A F 1 to get to the golf course. My wife, Mrs j1 also never took A F 2 because she couldn't wait for me with A F 1. What a first family.

j1
01-03-2015, 09:05 PM
Sat 1/3/15 Two inches so far (4 p m). Not plowing till tomorrow. [smilie=s:

Hellrazor
01-03-2015, 09:22 PM
Supposed to be 50 tomorrow. Don't bother plowing.....