PDA

View Full Version : muzzle loader question

danptobin
12-08-2014, 12:06 AM
Just picked up a CVA and they tell me that sabot loads will foul the bore with plastic from the sabots but I can use powerbelts because thier plastic base wont foul the bore. Anyone here use sabots in a muzzle loader have that problem? I dont understand why the powerbelt wont foul the barrel and the sabots will they seem to use the same type of plastic no harder or softer then the other.

Hellrazor
12-08-2014, 12:58 AM
I use round ball in my 50cal flintlock and hornady 45cal 240gr XTP w/sabot in my 50cal inlines without issues.

versifier
12-08-2014, 01:19 AM
Dan, it's a load of manure. Clean it right after you shoot it, shoot whatever the rifle likes best. Try as many different slugs, sabots, prb's as you can find and try them all. It depends upon how well the bore was finished and how well the rifling was done as to if or how much it might foul with plastic or powder or whatever. Muzzle loaders build up fouling progressively no matter what you stuff them with, but that's an issue when you're at the range, not in the field. It's a hunting rifle. It shouldn't oughta be fouling up in three shots and you only got one if you're deer hunting.

Clayt
12-08-2014, 02:56 AM
Hand lap the bore before the 1st shot goes a l-o-n-g way in helping muzzle loader bores. Remember, you are firing the "proof" load the 1st time you pull the trigger.