PDA

View Full Version : Twist rates vs bullet length (weight?)?

klausg
02-28-2008, 12:24 AM
Hey gang-

I'm starting this because I know that somebody out there has to have a formula or rule of thumb to figure out what twist rate is needed to stabilize what bullet. This started because I just bought a new toy, (Ruger M77 in .350 Rem Mag), according to Ruger it has a 1:12" twist, (no I haven't checked yet) and I'm wondering if I can stabilize some of those 300+ grain bullets by Woodleigh and Kodiak? Thanks in advance for any assistance.

-Klaus

wiljen
02-28-2008, 12:50 AM
Using the modified Greenhill formula, a .358 with a 1 in 12 twist will stabilize bullets up to 1.6 inches in length.

klausg
02-28-2008, 01:56 AM
wiljen- Thanks brother, after a quick google of "Greenhill formula" I'm somewhat in business. The next question quite obviously becomes how can one tell how long a bullet will be? Since they are only advertised by weight, is there yet another formula like maybe:

(sectional density) /(bullet weight) X (some constant) = bullet length in inches ???

Thanks again.

-Klaus

wiljen
02-28-2008, 02:01 AM
my formula for that is I don't give the seller the #s on my credit card until they give me the #s on their product. Ask the seller - they'll tell ya.