PDA

View Full Version : Natchez Does Something Really Cool

versifier
12-02-2014, 03:12 PM
As I have mentioned, my shooting buddy got himself a new AR for his farm. He decided that for smaller varmints he wanted some glass on it.

I had just got the new Natchez catalog so I passed it on to him to check out the optics. They always have several pages full of Nikon refurbished scopes of various kinds at substantial savings and as I have had good luck with them in the past I suggested he might want to check them out. The deal with the refurbished scopes is a one month replacement warranty, long enough to mount, shoot, and make sure there is nothing wrong with it. Their M223 scopes were designed with reticles that match the ballistics of the standard 55gr load @ 3200mv, and they are closing them out.

He decided on the 3-12x42 and gave them a call to order one. They were sold out. Natchez offered instead to send him a brand new scope with the full lifetime warranty at the refurb price. Needless to say he now has a new scope (and a new Factory Crimp Die) and he is a very happy shooter. As I am not shy about spreading the word something negative happens, I figure it is only fair to let everyone know when a company goes above and beyond, and this one sure has.

BBerguson
12-02-2014, 11:10 PM
That's good service! Hope he likes the scope! What did he get for an AR?

BB

versifier
12-03-2014, 12:12 AM
A S&W M&P, 18" barrel, 1/12" twist.

I almost had him talked into the Ruger with the push rod instead of the conventional vents-gas-into-the-action design, but someone offered him this one at wholesale when he had cash in his pocket and he went for it (1/4 the price of the Ruger, can't fault a man for that). It will do what he needs on the farm: coyotes, woodchucks, etc. The longest shot possible on the property is around 250yds. He got the .22lr trainer version last year and I have to admit it is very well made and fairly accurate, despite the hair across my ass for what S&W did to T/C. I suppose this one will be too, and there isn't a built-in lock on it, but it really doesn't have the accuracy potential to interest me (2-3MOA with factory stuff).

I am really not very enthusiastic about lubing and FL sizing every damned case for it. I don't plan on cranking out hundreds of rounds a week for it so he can shoot it like he does the rimfires, that's for sure. I am hoping to get an adequate load worked up for it for farm chores and 500 rounds or so for him to stash and leave it at that. I'm thinking he will lose interest when we finally get the 200yd range set up and safe and I start hitting eggs offhand with my varmint rifle. We shall see. Maybe if I can talk him into getting one of those Magpul angled forends it will be more comfortable to shoot offhand. If not I won't be shooting it much. I am more than a little impressed with the clarity of that scope though.

Clayt
12-03-2014, 01:37 AM
That is cool!!