PDA

View Full Version : The wood shop has heat!

BBerguson
11-23-2014, 01:58 AM
We've been in the new place for a year but never got the heat hooked up in the woodshop. Well, now it's done! It's a 40,000 btu on demand NG water heater (rated for hydronic heat too). It's done and putting heat into the floor as we speak. Water temp is 140 going in and was 82 coming back when I checked it 30 minutes ago. It's been running about 3 hours now. I have about 750 ft of 1/2 inch pex tubing in the floor, about 950 sq feet and a generous 5.5 to 6 inches of concrete with 2 inch foam below it. Superior walls with 2.5 inches of foam. The shop is full of equipment and wood so there is a huge amount of mass that needs to be heated. I'm expected it will take all night to bring it up to 55 or 60 degrees.

I may store some of my shooting supplies there so I don't have so much in my basement. I'm thinking maybe my extra primers and powder. My lead supply is already there (something else to heat up...).

Aside from that, I'm ready to get some wood projects done for my very patient wife!

I guess I need to get some pictures posted. Maybe tomorrow...

BB

SkyKid
11-23-2014, 12:20 PM
Pictures would be nice

Hellrazor
11-23-2014, 12:46 PM
In floor heat is nice. I had that installed in our storage building at work. They installed 4" foam and 8" of concrete in that building. It took 500gal of #2 to heat it last winter. We heat it to 55F and it looses about 4-5F a day if the system is down.

versifier
11-23-2014, 04:49 PM
BB was the concrete standard mix or the less durable gypsum/concrete mix that conducts heat better? And did you put anything over the poured floor? Just curious, one of my brothers is a GC and he put in several hydronic systems in the last building boom. We were very impressed with them.

BBerguson
11-23-2014, 10:31 PM

This is the heating system. The contro box is right center, it tells water temperature, outgoing temp, incoming temp and gpm. System is vented outside with the right pipe and the source air is on the left.

Versi, we used plain old concrete but I can't remember if it's 4000 or 5000. My concrete guy put a nice smooth finish on it, kept bringing the cream up. I wish we would had him build the house instead of our "close enough" contractors... Live and learn!

BB

Hellrazor
11-23-2014, 10:46 PM
BB, Nice setup. Wish i have NG at home to do something like that. I have a pellet stove in my shop.

Hard to see in the pic, do you have a thimble protecting the foam/sheathing from the exhaust pipe?

Glad to see you used regular concrete. Gypcrete sux. I hate when I run into that crap in commercial work. It is soft, you can have trouble with adhesives, etc. My floor installer at work will skim every gyp patch he finds.

BBerguson
11-23-2014, 11:49 PM
No, nothing protecting the insulation and I was expecting it to start melting. It show zero sign of heat and that was after the unit ran for over 8 hours straight. Maybe the unit, a Takagi, is efficient enough that the pipe won't get that hot. It has an energy factor of 81-83. Our unit that heats the house uses PVC for the intake and exhaust, it's over 90% efficient.

NG is nice! We ran a 50ft piece of flexible stainless from the meter at the house, underground through 2.5 PVC. My heating plumbing guy is awesome with this stuff. Not only does he know his stuff, he loves to hunt too! All around good guy!

BB