PDA

View Full Version : Surprise

j1
11-02-2014, 07:14 PM
I am honestly surprised that no one on this board wants to trade cast bullets for wheel weight ingots. Could anyone explain why? I have the ingots for many years now.

Kirbydoc
11-02-2014, 11:00 PM
I would if I had any cast .357's like you want but I don't have 'em! I suspect shipping would be kind of atrocious too. But I would if I could but I can't. Don't have any.

versifier
11-03-2014, 12:32 AM
Frankly I thought someone else would jump on the offer.

I have several tons of WW ingots plus several times that unsmelted and I didn't want to be greedy. I'm far from the only caster here, but then again I may be the only one with 6cav moulds in the styles and weights you shoot. The cost of a 6cav mould and handle (around $50 on sale) that will last well beyond 20,000 bullets in its working life is cheap enough for a stash of increasingly more difficult to find WW ingots. Mark or Mike or BB or anyone else?

Were you happy with the tumble lube style .35cal SWC bullets I sent you? They can get cast in large quantities with minimal labor as they do not normally need to be sized as conventionally designed bullets do, only lubed before loading them. I can't remember what else besides those and the .22's I put in there. Did I add some .30's too? If no one else would like them then I would be happy to cast you many hundreds of enough different handgun and rifle bullets over the winter to keep you shooting happily for a few large flat rate boxes of ingots.

Again though I have a huge stash of WW's and not everyone is lucky enough to say that, so I would rather see it go to someone who needs the WW's more than I do and can also help you out.

For handgun bullets it can be diluted considerably with pure lead - 4 or 5:1, pure:WW - to make it go much farther and last much longer. Plain base handgun bullets don't need to be any harder than that to work well if they are properly sized. I have a huge stash of pure lead too, it helps me stretch out a extremely limited stash of lino for the harder long range rifle target bullets, as well as not wasting any of an admittedly more comfortable reserve of WW's. I use the straight WW alloy only for GC'd .357mag handgun and 6.5/.30/.35 rifle hunting bullets where I need more strength but still need to get reliable expansion.

Hellrazor
11-03-2014, 01:01 AM
J1,

I don't cast. Hell with how hard it is to find some pistol powder, I am not doing a ton of loading atm. I have enough rifle powder to keep me happy for 10-20 years.

Mike in tx
11-03-2014, 05:14 PM
I have close to 300 pounds of unsmelted lead and 50 pounds of lino. I have enough at this time and at my age probably enough to last me.

j1
11-05-2014, 01:20 PM
V you have more lead than I can believe easily. I DO believe you but tons of lead is amazing, isn't it?