PDA

View Full Version : No Shooting This Week, Oh Well

versifier
09-30-2014, 10:20 PM
Everybody is at the Fryeburg Fair this week (Google it, you'll be impressed), including my shooting buddy who is running the midway. I hate crowds though the food is worth the trip at least once every few years, and the livestock makes me miss farming. His wife can't stand me or I'd be at their farm shooting anyway. I'm private range spoiled, I admit it, but I am sick of public ranges, especially this time of year. Too many dangerous idiots to be watching out for all there at once. Maybe I should just go and set up with my tool kit and charge them for mounting scopes and teaching them how to sight in their deer rifles. Then again, maybe not. I'm not as patient as I used to be, and I was never all that patient with adults to begin with. I have never suffered a fool easily, and armed fools just complicates things. ;-)

Tell me some stories, boys, I need some vicarious trigger time.

j1
10-01-2014, 12:05 AM
O K you got it. I bought a 17 HMR about five years ago. It is a C Z and a really nice accurate varmint killer. When Dan came over I knew that it was shooting off last fall. Well I used all of the windage and elevation adjustment and cannot get it shooting where it is looking. It is a new task and I do not even know why it went off. Gotta center both adjusting screws take the scope off, check all moUnts and rings for tightness and start over. Pain in the butt job but it has got to be done. Hey v do you feel any better now?[smilie=b:

Mike in tx
10-01-2014, 12:52 AM
I shoot with a newbie who, up until today, had a hard time getting it on the target. I took it and had it shooting right on with 4 shots. Again he had a hard time getting any accuracy. An Airborne vet came over, talked to him and bingo he is making 2 inch groups with the AR at 100 yard. Trigger control is what he talked to him about.

versifier
10-01-2014, 01:40 AM
Thanks John. I feel better. Maybe you have a dead scope?

Mike, I have a link that is food for thought. Trigger control, proper grip with the off hand, correct sling tension, much has been written about heavy target rifles, not so much about battle or hunting rifles. The link is for handguns, but there has to be something similar out there that applies to rifles too.
http://www.degrata.com/pdf/commonshootingerrors.pdf

Mike in tx
10-01-2014, 09:26 AM
It is amazing what happens when you take one newbie out and then another. These are all RN's and the third newbie who has never shot a pistol, rifle or shotgun, not even a pellet or airsoft, wants to go to the range. A couple, both RN's, wanted to learn to shoot and I directed them to another person as I am not the best teacher. Of course this is TX and not shooting is considered a SIN

j1
10-03-2014, 01:59 PM
Can you be 74 and still be a nooby? I guess so. Glad I am not though. I like guns shooting and reloading. :grin:

SkyKid
10-05-2014, 10:53 PM
Wanted to do some shooting today
But life got in the way again:(

BBerguson
10-05-2014, 11:25 PM
My son has been doing all the shooting... 12 years old, new to a sporting clays team. Absolutely kicking my butt! The kid got good quick and I get to do lots of reloading! Life is good!

BB

versifier
10-06-2014, 01:40 AM
And you pat yourself on the back and say, "Good genes." :mrgreen:

Clayt
10-06-2014, 11:44 PM
And you pat yourself on the back and say, "Good genes." :mrgreen:

Yeah BB, thank the milkman when you see him! :razz:

BBerguson
10-08-2014, 01:11 AM
You're right Versi, good genes! I'm the milkman Clayt! :-)

I can't wait to see how good he gets. I'm trying to talk him into an over under so he change chokes for different targets but he loves his automatic. I'll not mess with success!

BB

Hellrazor
10-08-2014, 04:14 PM
Have him shoot rabbits over and over to really challenge him. If the range is setup right they are a bitch and each throw is completely random on how they bounce.

j1
11-08-2014, 02:12 PM
Bonjour mon ami.