PDA

View Full Version : New reloader seeking advice

NJhunter
01-07-2008, 05:15 PM
I would like to start reloading but I don't know where to start off. I just purchased Nosler Reloading Guide #6 as these are the bullets I hunt with. Is there any other literature that would be recommended as to what a beginning reloader would need? Recommendations for presses, powders, dies, etc... I mainly plan to reload in 300 win mag, but would love to have the ability to reload in multiple calibers. Any help is greatly appreciated.

wiljen
01-07-2008, 08:50 PM
The RCBS manual and the Hornady manuals have good information in them on the basics of reloading. I'd read what nosler has to say and either buy or borrow as many others as you can and read through them. You can never have too many manuals. The ABC's of reloading is also a good book for people just starting out (check amazon.com).

As for recommendations on equipment, its all a matter of budget. I'd get the RCBS Rockchucker press to start with. It is the only single stage press you'll ever need so why not start there. Loading for multiple calibers is a matter of changing dies and shell holders so that is easily accomplished. I'd start out with either Hornady or RCBS dies and again, they should last a lifetime if treated right.

Next is a good scale, I am going to again recommend the RCBS 505 Scale. Digital scales are temperamental, so I'd recommend starting with a beam scale.

For powder measures, I'm a big fan of Redding or Belding & Mull.

Now for the simple rules that will help keep you safe.

Never have more than 1 type of primer or 1 can of powder on the bench at one time. This prevents confusion when the phone rings and you get distracted.

Always label the hopper on your powder measure with what powder is in it. (masking tape works great)

Always weigh a charge and drop it in a case so you know what the charge should look like in the case. Now, check all other cases as you fill them. If the height of the powder in the case looks different from your reference, re-weigh it.

Never put a bullet in a case you haven't looked in. This prevents double charges and squib loads.

Reloading data should be taken exactly - any substitution of components can cause dramatic changes in the end product. If you want to experiment with components, buy a chronograph so you know what effect substitution of components has on your loads. Otherwise, follow the books exactly. No amount of eyeballing a case can tell you what you need to know.

Welcome to the fraternity as it were, good luck, and keep safe.

Wiljen

versifier
01-08-2008, 02:14 AM
Well said. You can never have too many manuals. Sierra, Lyman, and Lee too.
A single stage press is the best way to start out, and a good loading block for inspecting your cases is a big plus for safety. No food or drink or anything to smoke while you're loading, either, and keep your hands clean. Oils from your hands aren't good for primers, and particulate lead is only a problem if it is ingested, any you ingest it by putting contaminated things in your mouth: fingers, cigarettes, etc. Interruptions while you are loading are a real big NONO, so make sure those you live with understand clearly. Mistakes can be fatal if they interrupt you at the wrong time and you space and drop a double or triple charge in a case. You have an answering machine or voicemail for calls. Never load when you are tired or in a hurry. If you only have a few minutes, read a manual instead.

The most important thing is your attitude. There is no such thing as a foolish question. If you are unsure about anything, ASK. That's what this forum is all about. Loading is a great hobby and we want you to be still at it long enough to pass it on to kids and grandkids, just like shooting and hunting.

RCBS has about the best customer service in the industry, and the Rockchucker has been in production with only minor changes for around a half century. I think it is one of the best presses on the market today. The first time you call them with a problem and they have parts on the way to you at no charge, you will understand the wisdom of buying their products. That said, you really can't go wrong with dies or presses from any of the major manufacturers. Ask us specifics and we'll let you know what we swear by or swear at.

NJhunter
01-08-2008, 11:45 AM
Versifier and Wiljen, I greatly appreciate your advice and look forward to bouncing questions off you.

My first... Cabelas offers the RCBS Supreme kit for approx $270 which obviously comes with the Rockchucker, and the 505 scale that you recommended. However, it comes with a Uniflow powder measure, Speer No. 13 Reloading Manual,
Hand Priming Tool, Hex Key Set, Case Loading Block, Case Lube Kit, Powder Funnel, and Deburring Tool.

In your experience is purchasing a kit like this one advantageous, or is it better to purchase the items separately (in which case you can pick the components you want, rather than use the brands given to you)?

My last question of the day is about primers and powders. Are the primers specific to the particular casings you are reloading? I will start off reloading Federal casings (as they are the ones that I have the most off). And what powders would you recommend?

Thanks again for the previous advice.

versifier
01-09-2008, 01:52 AM
It is much cheaper to go with the kit, and it contains everything you need to get started. You may want to upgrade certain small tools as you learn more, but worry about that down the road. (In fact, the only things I would upgrade on that list are the hand primer - only because it does not fit my hand well, it works great - and the lube kit because I use Universal Sizing Die Wax - less mess and easier to use. Neither is an issue at this point.) I like my Uniflow, the RCBS/Speer manual is a good one, the case loading block is a must, and I have been using that model deburring tool (made for RCBS by Wilson) and the scale (made for RCBS by Ohaus) for 35 years.

Other things: A dial caliper will be invaluable for measuring all sorts of things, so buy a good one as it will get a LOT of use. Later you will need a case trimmer for rifle cases.

Your rifle will choose the powder and bullets it likes best, but this I will say: Buy whatever brand of jacketed bullets you get a good price on, probably Rem or Win from one of the suppliers in either 150, 165, or 180gr. IMR 4350 and R19 are popular powders in the .300mag. Choose whatever brand of primers are readily available, no big deal which you choose at this point.

wiljen
01-09-2008, 03:49 PM
I'm gonna agree with versifier for the most part. I will second the buy a kit advice (saves a good deal).

I am going to suggest a different route on the bullets. What factory load has displayed the best accuracy in your rifle thus far? Find a load in one of the manuals using the same bullet that duplicates the factory performance and start from there. It may take you a few powders to find a load that dupes the factory one in accuracy, but you already have the best shooting bullet figured out.

For powders in the 300 Mag, I like IMR 7828, AA4350, H4831, and VV N165. Those have done the best work for me. (I will note that I use 180gr and heavier in my 300s and that lighter bullets may require faster powders.)

Good luck and Keep safe,

Wiljen

single shot
01-10-2008, 11:48 AM
NJHUNTER

Well since the other members gave you good reloading advice, I will have to give you the honest facts.

DON'T DO IT. NEVER START RELOADING. It is too addictive. The next thing you know, you will have a die set for every caliber you own. Then you get into trying every Manufactured Bullet, powder and primer combination you can think off.

All in the pursuit of the 1 MOA 5 shot group. You will even get into casting your own bullets and after trying the standard molds, then you get into group buys on our sister site, CAST BOOLITS where I spend most of my time, of the custom design molds.

And to top off the whole process, as your marksmanship reaches the best a particular weapon can do, you go and buy another one and start all over again.

[smilie=w:

And go here http://reloaders.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=591&highlight=reloading+program
and download the excellent software Wiljen created as free ware. It is an extensive data base that contains much information and the ability to add your own data. Read the whole post before downloading. It will answer some questions about the software and lead you to the latest updated version.

testhop
01-12-2008, 11:48 PM
there is another reason to reload it is you can load down make the 300 mag a 06 a 308
30-30 by just changing the powder charge and the powder it works fine

Bullshop Junior
01-14-2008, 04:16 AM
This is tony here (I am going to start posting in bullshop junior's name, and bs jr will start posting in bulshops name)

I have the old stile RCBS rock chucker, exelant press!
Most of my reloading equepment is RCBS (the best!)
exeped I do have a Lee outo prime, its alot faster than my RCBS ram prime, unless youve got a turret press an you can just Keep it set up.)
so I recommend for most of your reloading suplies to get RCBS for a few diferent resons
# 1 : they have a lifetime or foreve waranty (whatever comes first)
# 2 : they are very high quaity

and there is lots more but I dont to go through them all now,
Tony

bbauerdsm
02-04-2008, 07:19 PM
Hello NJ Hunter, you started out the right way by asking for help. It can seem complicated at first.

First of all, a little about the process, NEVER, NEVER attemp to make a load that is not published in a good manual, NEVER. Just leave that to the pros.

As for a manual, there are bunches of them. I personally use the Hornady manual, but that's just my choice, maybe there are better. The Powder makers all have load info for thier powders.

For a loader, a single stage will work just fine for all your loading, and these things will outlast you with just a littlt care. My personal choice would be the LEE Anniversay kit, it has everything you need it get started. I've been using Lee Equipment for over 25 years and have yet to have anything fail, there are higher priced loaders if you want to spend a bundle, but, they wont do anything that a Lee can't do. Check out lee's website.

I live by a few rules in my loading room,
1..No Distractions. I never listen to the game or play music while reloading.
2..Always keep your loading room and bench clean.
3..Leave your powder in it's original container, away from any source of heat.
4..Never try to remember a load recipe, I have mine on index cards on the wall behind my loader. Never use a load unless it has been published.
5..Make a record of which powder you have in the loader and put it on your wall.
6..Always keep the kids out unless your teaching them to load.

Reloading is fun and safe, just use your head and you'll have lots of fun.

Bill

runfiverun
02-05-2008, 04:44 AM
that rl-19 and h4831 are very good powders to start with they will cover from 308 up
to your 300 mag and not give up anything to other powders

the best wy to figure all this out is to read and ask questions
and you have found the best place to do that.

pick one component and figure it out [i would suggest cases,how long, etc]
and move to another component as you get comfortable with what you are doing
save bullits/boolits for last these are the most fun

runfiverun