PDA

View Full Version : Redfield scope

Mike in tx
08-19-2014, 09:40 AM
I just bought a Redfield Revolution scope. I am impressed with the clarity of the glass edge to edge. I will be trying it out today. I am wondering if anyone else has tried this scope and your impressions.

versifier
08-19-2014, 02:39 PM
I have had a 2-7 Revenge for about a year now. I bought it after seeing and shooting with one a friend bought a year earlier and mounted first on his Bushmaster and then on a customized 10/22 target rifle. While it can't quite match the Leupolds and Nikons that cost twice as much for clarity of image, I have no complaints whatever with it and I think it's a good match for any medium range hunting rifle. We gave both of them the "box test" side by side, 16clicks right, then down, then left, then up @100yds and fired two shots at each corner and both passed with flying colors. Right now I have mine on my 6.5TCU Contender carbine barrel and plan to remount it when I rechamber the barrel to 6.5x54M/S where I'm thinking it will have a permanent home. I found out reading the box that they are made in China and was not very happy about that, but it's a political concern rather than a practical one because they have proven themselves to be good quality scopes and NOT cheap trash like most other Chinese imports.

Mike in tx
08-19-2014, 08:27 PM
I had no problems with the Redfield today. Adjusting for my old poor eyesight took some time and some fiddling with it should have it working fine. Lifetime quarantee is good for me.

j1
08-27-2014, 09:19 PM
Have a Redfield Tracker scope.l. Been pretty good for the last twenty years.

Mike in tx
08-27-2014, 10:00 PM
What a loaded question. Clayton comes down those 2 months and he has seen it so hot that the northern boy melted and one year he saw snow flurries 60 miles south of here. Usually it is in the high 30's to 70's. The best time to visit is the end of February and March. Mid April it starts to heat up.

Hellrazor
08-27-2014, 10:51 PM
j1 hibernates under 40F...

I haven't used a redfield yet. I was using Leupold until they started pissing me off when adjusting them and switched to Bushnell.

danptobin
08-28-2014, 01:39 AM
The one I had had trouble keeping zero. I used it at Skykids in NH and had to rezero then again at home just days later anf had to rezero again. When hunting season came around in nov it was off again. Switched to a VX3 and no more provlems

Mike in tx
08-28-2014, 09:00 AM
Dan
Did it seem that the turrets were loose? I put mine on a 270 but I do have a couple of hard kickers and perhaps I should try it on them. At this point I am impressed but your experience has me looking for problems. Have fun at the get together.

j1
10-25-2014, 01:22 PM
Mike my honey and I vacationed in San Antonio two years ago. Lovely interesting city. Good Mexican food and the riverwalk is something else. We stayed at the Mengher hotel right across the street from the Alamo and two or three blocks from the riverwalk. Nice little zoo also. Only thing I missed was bar b que. Strictly my own fault though.

Mike in tx
10-25-2014, 05:06 PM
J1
Did you see the ghost of the Menger Hotel. My sister swears that she saw it during the daylight hours.

j1
11-09-2014, 02:33 PM
Mike we saw no ghosts. Saw some bullet holes in the bar though from Teddies rough riders.

BBerguson
11-09-2014, 04:12 PM
Red field is made by Leupold now isn't it?

BB

versifier
11-09-2014, 04:36 PM
Sort of... not.

Redfield is owned by Leupold, but all products bearing the Redfield name are made in China.

As far as I know all of Leupold's products bearing their own name are still made in the USA. But given the super low prices I've been seeing lately on their 3-9 VX1's that put them in the same price range as the Redfields (even Sportsman's Guide has been advertising them, never a good sign), I have to wonder if they might be moving some of their own production overseas or just quietly eliminating that line and liquidating their inventory. I think there would have been some news of either in the industry and I have heard/read nothing about it. Time will tell.

Hellrazor
11-09-2014, 04:40 PM
I saw they were in the last SG too. When Harbor Freight picks them up too, its time to run...

I like my Leupold scopes but a few are a bastard to adjust. The adjustments doesn't take until after the first shot. I picked up a few Bushnell Elites and they are working out well.

danptobin
11-09-2014, 06:11 PM
it seems the redfiels are inline to replace the low end luepolds. the optics were ok but scope didnt hold 0 very well

versifier
11-09-2014, 09:34 PM
I have yet to find a Bushnell riflescope or spotting scope regardless of its price that I can adjust the eyepiece focus enough so I can get a clear picture, though I have one of their tiny red dots that is fantastic. But I often have the same focus issues with many other cheap scopes too, except, strangely enough, Tascos. I figure the problem is with my right eye as no one else seems bothered by them.

Hellrazor
11-09-2014, 09:47 PM
Had you looked at the Elite 3200 or 4200? I have one of each and like them. 3200 is a 3x9x50 and the 4200 is a 3.5x10x50.

danptobin
11-09-2014, 10:57 PM
the elite 4200 is a good scope i have a 6-24x40 mil dot. ive had it since 02 or 03 never loses its zero

versifier
11-10-2014, 03:55 AM
I have checked them out at the gun shop, no joy. Any time they have something new or used I haven't seen before I check them.

j1
01-18-2015, 07:32 PM
Mike I have never yet seen a ghost. Like it like that.

j1
02-03-2015, 01:18 PM
Sorry just saw your post. No Mike we saw no ghosts. However at least one good friend swears that he knows reputable people who have.