PDA

View Full Version : What should I get

Mike in tx
07-27-2014, 01:17 PM
My grandson works at Ruger in NH and he can give a gun to whomever he wants at his discretion. I am his discretion. I am looking at a Guide Gun in 416 Ruger. Why? I will be the only one in my circle of shooters that has that caliber; however, reading in rifle magazine it is recommended that one has a 375 rather than a 416. It threw some doubts in my mind but the 416 still is preferred by me. Am I foolish for wanting the 416 over the 375? Yes it will be a Ruger d/t the grandson being my good fortune. No wish cracks Clayton.
Mike

Hellrazor
07-27-2014, 03:09 PM
You didn't say I couldn't give wise ass remarks -

Hunting elephants in TX?
Expecting them to clone dinosaurs?

:)

I refuse to buy anything where I need a loan to buy or reload a few boxes of ammo.

versifier
07-27-2014, 08:16 PM
I know you don't have issues with recoil, but an 8lb rifle in .416? That would be nothing short of masochism in my book. After paying half the cost of the rifle for dies, brass, and bullets, I'd fire one round and end up with two left arms after my right shoulder dislocated and rotated around my back to the other side. The local tailor shop would love me. Then it would live in my safe because no one I know around here would ever buy it from me, even if I put the thickest recoil pad I could find on it, ruining its collector value. I'd go for either the .300RCM or the .338RCM. I bet none of your buds have anything either chambering, and you wouldn't need a second mortgage to buy bullets to load for it. I personally would load it down a bit, but I would actually shoot it and keep it if it were accurate enough to approach MOA.

Here's my $.02:

http://ruger.com/products/sr762/models.html I would wait until it had been in production for at least a year to give them a chance to work all the bugs out.

http://ruger.com/products/gunsiteScoutRifle/models.html (20" bbl, RH) This one would be my first choice for a hunting rifle out of all this year's Ruger offerings. With a red dot or the Leupold Scout Scope like the one on my K31 it would make the perfect big game rifle out to 300yds or so.

My first choice would have been a #1, but the selection of them this year is laughable, except maybe the limited edition in .45-70 available from Lipskey's.

OTOH, it's not a rifle, but I think the SR9C http://ruger.com/products/sr9c/models.html is probably the best 9mm carry pistol Ruger has ever produced, and without a doubt the most accurate.

Mike in tx
07-28-2014, 04:16 PM
#1 Hellrazor, have you seen the jacks in TX. Big, tall and mean as all H311. Ask Clayton.
Versifier, I was going to load the 416 with hard cast. I figure that way I can shoot it. $70 or so for a box of ammo is out of my ball park. LOL Also on my list is to rebarrel the mauser action to a 6.5 x 55. One of my favorite guns. Then maybe the 30 223. You never know what will happen.
I hope all is going well for both of you.

versifier
07-28-2014, 04:57 PM
You will never regret a Mauser in 6.5x55. I built Peg one on an unfired Yugo a few years ago, we all love it.

As to the .416, I have many pounds of WC860 if you need some you are welcome to it, I'll never use most of it. (It makes some very accurate low vel cast loads in medium capacity cases, but leaves too much unburned powder in the barrel. It ought to be just the ticket in those huge .416 cases for everything from bunny fart cast loads to solid shoulder dislocating elephant stoppers.)

Clayt
07-29-2014, 01:41 AM
...... Am I foolish for wanting the 416 over the 375? ....... No wish cracks Clayton.....

No "wish cracks"???? Like I wish your grandson made me the same offer!!

Get what you really want, the 416

Hellrazor
08-01-2014, 11:52 PM
Don't listen to Clay..... He is just laughing to himself about what your shoulder will say about the 416 :D