PDA

View Full Version : Copper Plated Load Data??

gaston_r
12-13-2007, 10:50 PM
I posted this yesterday, but omitted that this info is for a 357 mag load out of a Ruger Gp-100 with a 4" barrel.
I am new to reloading and am about to purchase my first batch of bullets. I can get lasercast 158gr or west coast x-treme 125gr - 158gr for the same price. I am having trouble finding load data for the west coast x-treme copper plated bullets. In my Lee manual(copper plated 125gr), it has a listing of 4 loads: accur #9-11.8 gr, accur#7-10.1 gr, accur #5-8.0 gr, and accur#2-6.2 gr. accur #9 being the load that fills the case most. I thumbed through the reload guides at Sportsman's Warehouse and couldn't find copper plated bullets listed. I have searched through this site and found interesting that some people say to load them as you would lead. I called their 800 number and a nice lady told me x-treme bullets recommends the Speer Manual loads for any of their jacketed bullets. Does anyone have any good loads for these copper plated bullets. If so could you share with me? I also need to know what primers (mag or reg) and min oal if you have it. I have already bought some unique and trail boss. Thanks in advance.

versifier
12-13-2007, 11:18 PM
The copper plating is only about .002" thick, if that. They behave the same as any other lead alloy bullets. Just use the jacketed data, you will get higher velocity and lower pressure than with a jacketed bullet. Stick to the milder loads, they will still lead things up if you push them too hard. Most commercial cast handgun bullets, plated or not, are made from fairly soft alloys, and many come through undersized (.356-.357 instead of the optimal .358-.360), adding to the problem. That is why many cast their own, as they can custom size them to their barrels and vart the alloy for best results. Try both kinds of primers and see which gives you best accuracy. Every brand of primers can give you different results, too. It's Max OAL you need to be paying attention to, not Min. Decreasing the OAL increases pressure, sometimes dramatically. You want them as long as possible while still functioning reliably.