PDA

View Full Version : new law

markk
11-12-2007, 02:14 PM
Indiana just opened up deer to pistol cart. in rifles. I bought a .44 marlin and have been a little dissapointed and may get rid of it.

Has anyone used 454 in a rifle? I am considering a single shot as I want accuracy!
I looked at the 480 ballistics at the Hornady site, but they were not impressive.

versifier
11-12-2007, 09:28 PM
No pistol cartridge is very impressive when compared to rifle cartridges. You have to know and accept the limits of the round in question. That doesn't necessarily mean restricting yourself to 50yds or so like when you are actually hunting with a handgun, (I'm not talking about single shots chambered for rifle cartridges here, nor about those who practice a lot with their .44's and can actually hit the kill zone of a deer at 100yds)) but it does mean that you are going to have to pass up marginal shots where you wouldn't hesitate with a real rifle cartridge. Considering that most deer are shot within 50 yards anyway, it really isn't a big deal most of the time in the field. The .44mag in a rifle will kill cleanly out to 150yards with no problem at all. That's impressive enough for me. A dead deer is a dead deer. As with any firearm, you have to be shooting a few hundred rounds to prepare for hunting season to begin to shoot up to the rifle's level of accuracy. It's a rare Marlin indeed that won't easily pass the pieplate test.