PDA

View Full Version : problum with44 grips

testhop
10-26-2007, 01:17 PM
i am getting beat up from the trigger guard of my 44mags the trigger hits me right in the kuncle of my middle finger i havetryed several differnt tricks
new grips,coustum grips and all that i was thinking about making te right side a little thicker than the left to see if that would do the trick all i have to do is to move the center of the joint off the guard
if you have any other ideas sing out please[smilie=w:

tom

Dale53
11-07-2007, 09:28 PM
The only thing that I have found to work well, is to simply use Pachmayr Decelerator grips. The problem is solved completely.

Dale53

Hammerdown
05-27-2008, 12:03 PM
Hello Testhop
You made no Mention of what revolver you were shooting here ? I suspect you are speaking of the S&W model 29 ? I actually Tore my right thumb wide open from the checkering of factory taregt grips once. I then learned that a set of Factory smooth target grips are very comfortable and take away the Knuckle Busting. Here is what the set Looks like taht came from the factory on my model 29-2. I hope this helps, Hammerdown

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/S_W_Model_29-2_.jpg

testhop
06-19-2008, 12:40 AM
i have 4 of the 44mags 2 rugers one is a reg super blackhawlk one is the new SBK hunter
it is my pick and the one that gave me the problum but i got a pare of grips off ebay that were hudge and thay fixed the nuckle problum i have a modle 29 stelth a hudge thing that i also put a big set of grips on it was what gave me the idea of big grips .the reg sbh i use as a 44specal gun light loads shoots great the other44 is a T.C contenderthat i dopnt shoot any more.
hammerdown that is a super looking 29 i wish i had knew about those before i went to the hand made set

Hammerdown
06-19-2008, 11:41 AM
i have 4 of the 44mags 2 rugers one is a reg super blackhawlk one is the new SBK hunter
it is my pick and the one that gave me the problum but i got a pare of grips off ebay that were hudge and thay fixed the nuckle problum i have a modle 29 stelth a hudge thing that i also put a big set of grips on it was what gave me the idea of big grips .the reg sbh i use as a 44specal gun light loads shoots great the other44 is a T.C contenderthat i dopnt shoot any more.
hammerdown that is a super looking 29 i wish i had knew about those before i went to the hand made set

Hello Testhop
I recently Picked up a pair of the Factory smooth targt grips for my model 57 in .41 Magnum as well. They tame the recoil Nicley.. Hammerdown

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/Model_57_Left_view_smooth_Targets.jpg
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/Model_57_right_View_smooth_Targets.jpg

Travis Morgan
12-13-2008, 08:04 AM
For the Rugers, I'd suggest the Dragoon style grips.

wildbill49
12-30-2008, 07:25 PM
Tom,

I've been shooting S&W 29 & 629 for years, starting with my first 29 in 1963. Those old guns came with what S&W called target grips. They were checkered and would eat the meat of the web of your hand when shooting heavy loads. I corrected the problem initially by installing the smooth grips as shown in the pictures, then later switched to the Pachmyars. I used the 29 as a duty weapon with two PD's for about 8 years. I was the range master and had to prove to my Chief that I could qualify with duty ammo ( then the Win ST in 44 Mag). After shooting 60 rounds with the checkered grips, I was bleeding, but still shot a 300/300 over the old PPC course.

If your pistol is a Ruger Super Blackhawk, which I suspect it might be, as the square trigger guard on that pistol can be hard on the fingers, I would get a set of Pachmayers. These grips fill in the space behind the trigger guard and save the wear and tear on the fingers.

Good shooting,

Wild Bill

nambu1
12-31-2008, 07:44 PM
I had the same problem from both my Smiths and Rugers. I put Pachmayr Grippers on them and it solved the problem.

Cap'n Caveman
01-18-2009, 06:02 PM
I too had the issue with the Super Blackhawk and full mag loads. It's almost like they expect you to have a death grip on it. I wouldn't have the frame any other way though, I like the looks of the squareback guard and the longer grip itself.

I started out with a bandaid or two layered up over the knuckle, then ended up creating a ring to slip over that finger. Made it out of the pad material used in those foam sports seat cusions. I used a sharpend piece of conduit to punch the OD and another to punch the ID.

Works for me anyway.

Good shoot'n to all,
Cap'n Caveman

redwing
02-06-2009, 05:32 AM
The S&W Target grips are terrible. I have been shooting 29s for 40 years. I prefer a smooth Roper Style grip.:-D

az6gun
02-16-2009, 03:51 AM
I found the SBH trick is to move my hand up the back strap until the hammer is touching my hand, in return the gun rolls like the standard plow handle frames. I think the smaller grip frame of the 4 5/8" & 5 1/2" guns are more pleasent the way they roll but then the little finger tucked under the grip frame pays the price. With the big boy loads I like the Ol Mighty Bisley.

Brother Jeeter
02-20-2009, 03:37 PM
Plus 1 on the Pachmayrs.