PDA

View Full Version : Scope Question

single shot
08-28-2007, 04:52 AM
Just found out I need glasses.

Single vision lenses for distance.

My scope question is:

Does anyone shoot a scope while wearing corrective lenses?

If I refocus the eye piece to see the cross hairs clearly with my glasses, will this change the point of impact because of viewing through another lens.

I would hate to have to sight in all my scopes again.

Pepe Ray
08-31-2007, 02:54 PM
My use of scopes nearly coincided with my need for glasses(bifocals/trifocals)
This caused some confusion in my decision making. Mostly because I found my ability to nimbly navigate my way thru the woods was impaired with my bifocals on. To this day,@69YO, I'm much more able w/o glasses, both day and night. The acuity is only missing when I must identify something positively. I tried hunting w/o glasses but found my ability to spot movement was impaired.
To address your question more specifically. Even a very inexpensive scope should not change its POI with a lens adjustment. Quite often, even a high dollar variable will change its POI with a power change. This must be thoroughly investigated at the range before the hunt. The additional lens in your glasses will not affect these issues.
I have not verified it but it occurs to me that the presence of parallax may be multiplied by glasses. I have not found it to be so but can not say that a different prescription will be the same.
Practice, practice.
Pepe Ray

single shot
08-31-2007, 05:01 PM
Thanks,

My glasses are for distance vision and I take them off for reading and even eating because otherwise the book or plate is just a blur.

So I figured I would have to raise them up to use a scope, but did not what to do that because it made it hard to find the area I was looking at to point the scope to.

I asked the question because prior to getting the glasses, I had just taken the time to laser bore site all the rifles in prep for a trip to the range that I have still to do.

Neat thing is my adjustable power scopes all have an adjustable objective to remove
the parallax problem at different power settings. After changing power, I just rotate the objective until the view is a sharp as possible. Because the objective is marked from 25 to 1000 yds. it also becomes a range finder if I look at the setting.

THANKS FOR THE INFORMATIVE REPLY. In regards to practice, I just printed a bunch of squirrel head targets and I always practice with a one shot one kill attitude. I am not ready to hunt with a particular set up until there are no misses at the range in various conditions and shooting positions.

testhop
09-25-2007, 12:21 AM
[smilie=w:To Me The Way To Find Out Is To Try It Both Ways No Onecan Tell You Not Even The Eye Dr.you Dont Have To Go To The Range Juse Seat Down At The Kitchen Table
Put The Gun On A Pillow Or Something Steady And Put Up A Target (tiny ) And Try I T
It Should Show You That You Are Ok I FORGOT RUN THE WIFE AND KIDS OUT FOR PEACE AND QUIET

Testhop

single shot
09-26-2007, 04:31 PM
Turns out the glasses are so strong that all I can see is a partial view of the scope field.

As I move my head around, it changes the view of where the cross hairs are.

Just using a pair of safety glasses, the field of view and scope is normal.

So I will have to sight in using the safety glasses but when hunting, just raise my glasses to use the scope.

This allows a clear view of the target and surrounding area through the scope for safety.

C1PNR
10-07-2007, 01:28 AM
So I will have to sight in using the safety glasses but when hunting, just raise my glasses to use the scope.
This sounds to me like you're not going to have any eye protection when you pull the trigger.

Not a condition I would accept.

I raise my glasses when looking through binoculars, but otherwise, I've got eye protection, even when just walking around, much less when I unleash 60,000 psi a few inches from my face. Or even 11,000 in the shotgun.

single shot
10-08-2007, 03:35 AM
That is a good point.

My work safety glasses are a larger lens then my regular glasses.

I shot with my work safety glasses today and the scope was not a problem.

I can only guess that the smaller lens was too small to use the scope properly.