PDA

View Full Version : Factory Crimp Die or Not???

Sigma 40 Blaster
06-18-2007, 12:45 AM
All,

I've been wondering about using a Factory Crimp die for my smaller pistol loads (9, .380 if I decide to load it again after this mess I'm in now). My seating/crimp die does a good job for .40 and .45 but I don't see any noticeable difference in my smaller loads other than my "flare" is now straight again.

Are these FCD's more geared towards rifle rounds or should I be using it on all of my pistol loads as well? I tried using it on my .40's and don't see any advantage....pro's or con's anyone???

klausg
06-18-2007, 04:53 PM
Sigma 40-

Lee's FCD's come in two varieties, rifle & handgun; both are very useful as long as you understand what's going on with each. The handgun versions have a carbide sizer ring built in which will size everything to include the bullet. This can be too much of a good thing, particularily if you are loading cast that is "oversize" to fit your throats. I find that the handgun versions are the cat's butt for the occasional bulged case, etc. I only have FCD's for my auto's, not the revolvers. The rifle versions come in very handy as the case length is not nearly as critical as it is when using your seating die to crimp. On the rifle side of the spectrum, I use the FCD's in anything that I am loading cast in, (of course those are the only ones that I crimp anyway :wink: ). Hope this helps.

-Klaus

kodiak1
06-19-2007, 12:34 AM
Sigma anything that I crimp I use the factory dies. so fat so good. Sorry not really a help Ken.

versifier
06-19-2007, 04:08 AM
The handgun FCD's are for loading jacketed bullets. The carbide ring sizes the entire round to insure good feeding and eliminate bulged cases. They don't work with cast boolits, but they do a great job with jacketed. I wish they made them like the rifle dies for crimping revolver loads. The rifle FCD's are one of the best dies made, superior to taper and far superior to roll crimps. I have them for just about every rifle cartridge I load. Jacketed or cast makes no difference with them and they are easily adjustable as to the degree of crimp you wish to apply.

Canuck44
06-20-2007, 03:13 AM
I have gone to the Lee FCD for my rifle cartridges for the reasons set out above. I load a number of pistol cartridges and all I want to do there is remove the belling with my taper crimp. Nothing more. Not sure why you would want to crush down a bullet to make the outside fo the case look nice but guys do use the FCD in pistol and some swear by them. When I ever find a need I guess I will go try them. Haven't yet.

Take Care

Bob

Sigma 40 Blaster
06-22-2007, 05:10 PM
Thanks guys, that's exactly the type of input I was looking for. I do have a FCD in .40 S&W and was trying to decide if it was worth the extra time (got it as part of a die set off of Ebay).