PDA

View Full Version : neck sizing vs full length

conorj
06-06-2007, 07:17 PM
i have just bought a set of dies i was wondering surely there is no need to fully resize my cases as they already have being fired thru my rifle"204 ruger remington lvsf" will it be a case of just having to neck size them

versifier
06-06-2007, 10:17 PM
Yes. Eventually, you will have to set the shoulders back with the full length sizer, when chambering becomes difficult. The milder the loads you shoot, the more firings before you'll need to.

kodiak1
06-07-2007, 03:05 AM
conorj like versifier stated eventually you will have to full length size, but why work all that brass everytime?

I have also read that the people that shoot in the BPCR comps most of them do full length size and trim and anneal everytime. They are going for as near to exact neck tension every shot every shell everytime.

Hell an ol ground hog ain't going to know the difference on the neck tension if you stick one in him with that 204 is he?

Ken.

Hunter
06-20-2007, 05:09 AM
I prefer to neck size for bolt action rifles. Neck sized reloads tend to be more accurate, the brass last longer, and it is easier to accomplish.
That said once the brass has stretched enough trimming is necessary and maybe a full length resize and fire forming will be my next step.

lovedogs
06-22-2007, 09:52 PM
Guess I've tried full and neck sizing and everything in between and maybe I've just been lucky in getting accuracy. I can't tell any difference in accuracy either way. You may get a few more shots per case by neck sizing but you may also have the misfortune of having some rounds that won't chamber if you don't run each round into the chamber before you put the powder and new bullet in. And, to me, that's no fun. Then you wind up pulling the bullet, dumping powder and resizing. I've finally settled on hitting a happy medium by sizing just to fit the chamber. This is easily accomplished with calibers for which you can buy a RCBS Precision Mic. Just use the Mic to set your die to size down to chamber size or just .001 in. sized down. For calibers for which no Precision Mic is made you may apply a VERY THIN amount of lube on the case shoulder, then apply a LIGHT dusting of powdered graphite, charcoal, or Prussian Blue on the shoulder. Adjust the die until it just flattens this material on the shoulder of a case that has been fired in your chamber and still chambers easily. Either of these methods will result in a case that is sized properly for your guns chamber without excessive sizing. The result should be good accuracy and good case life. That's how I see it!