PDA

View Full Version : wax bullets

the dread wechlo
06-04-2007, 04:49 AM
Does anyone know of an outfit that makes perfect hard wax bullets? I can do lost wax casting and would like a few silver bullets in case I encounter werewolf problems.

kg42
06-04-2007, 07:39 PM
What percentage of shrinkage do you get? You might be able to do some lost lead castings by getting a few bullets from other shooters at the range.

What material do you use for the molds? How would you break it without damaging the bullets?

the dread wechlo
06-05-2007, 03:58 AM
I can make percision cast bullets out of silver, heck I can cast them from gold. I suppose gold would work as well as silver.

versifier
06-05-2007, 02:02 PM
Wouldn't a steel or aluminum boolit mould work?

klausg
06-05-2007, 04:33 PM
wechlo-
I'm not even going to wonder about the "why's" that are floating around in my head. I've done some lost wax casting in my younger days, (both centrifuge & vacuum), so I'm not entirely ignorant of the process. I think versifier's idea would work, with a few provisions. First you would need to cast a really hard wax, the stuff you carve not the modeling variety. Secondly, I'm not sure what the shrinkage is on the wax compared to lead alloys, this of course assumes that you are actually going to try to shoot them and are not making some sort of jewelry. As far as sizing/lubing goes, you're on your own; I would think that you're going to need a lot more "squish" than most lubrisizers are capable of. Something along the lines of a Lee "push-through" die in your press. Also I wouldn't even think of going over groove diameter for your bore. Some things to ponder...take care.

-Klaus

P.S.- If you are shooting them let me know where, so I can mine your backstop :-D

versifier
06-05-2007, 10:42 PM
I kind of assumed he wanted to make some novelty jewelry. I can think of several shootin' gals who would love it.

single shot
08-27-2007, 03:02 AM
Man I hope he is talking about making jewelry.

My Grand father was born in Dass Transylvania so I would hate to think he is gunning for me:twisted:

GP100man
09-15-2007, 04:42 AM
cuz just adds silver solder to his melt to alloy with :works on zombies & were wolves!!!!

a piece of jewelry would be nice though!!!!!

GP100man