PDA

View Full Version : Puma 480 Ruger

jim4065
04-10-2007, 06:31 AM
Just bought one of these on Auction Arms - haven't paid for it yet. :mrgreen: 20" barrel and comes with a dinosaur knife, box of shells and a soft case. Costs $519, which is probably too much, but what the heck, we don't want to talk about that now.

My question is "Will it kill a Roo?" NO - just kidding for God's sake!

What kind of velocity can I look for out of a 275 grain Hornady bullet? (I can hear DOK saying "FPS - you miserable ^%$#%") There's a bunch of 'em on ebay (bullets - not Roos) and I think I want to load 'em up kinda fast for deer. I'm buying a plain base 400 grain mold over on "Cast Boolits" which I hope to use on bear or elk someday. (Yes Virginia, we have some of both in Arkansas).

(But regretably few Roos). [smilie=w:

Where were we? Oh yea, my books are kinda out of date; Anybody got a good starting load for WC820 surp?

P.S. Actually, there may be a few Roos on ebay - never had the Hutzpah to search for 'em.

jim4065
04-10-2007, 06:47 AM
P.P.S. Holy Cow! At this moment there are 173 Roo listings on ebay.

lovedogs
04-13-2007, 01:45 AM
Never shot a .480 rifle before. Did try one in a Ruger Super Redhawk and loved it. I think it'll kill anything if'n you put one in the right spot. I have a .44 mag rifle and it doesn't kick bad, but I bet you'll wish for a Limbsaver pad shortly on that little Puma.