PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on reloading .223 ammo

corporal
04-03-2007, 06:25 PM
I sed to reload alot of shotgun shells when I was younger so I have the idea of it. My ? is my neighbor has a reloader that he uses for reloading 300 mag shells for. Can I use his reloader to reload .223 ammo? And if so, what would I all need to get, and maybe some links to websites that offer affordable prices for reloading supplies for .223. The Govt. sure does'nt pay a whole lot for med. retired Marines so my budget is limited. I have never loareloaded rifle ammo before, but my guess it cant be to much different than shotgun shell reloading. I use my AR-15 for alot of target practice, also shot a nice big Doe with it last year gun season with 55 grain Powerpoint round. 1 shot right behind the shoulderblade at est. 65-70 yards broadside at dead run. Only ran 40 yards before it dropped and quick death. through and through holes. Any help is greatly appreciated. Cpl. martinez, Steven G. U.S.M.C. Semper-Fi! my fellow Marines

versifier
04-03-2007, 10:43 PM
Welcome corporal,
Yes, you can. If it will do .300mags, it will do .223's. You need sizing dies and a shell holder that fits the case head, cases, powder, primers, and bullets. Find out where your friend gets his powder and primers, if you can find them locally, it's cheaper than paying the extra hazmat shipping fee.
The .223 case takes small rifle primers, and your friend has a priming system - all that needs to be done is to change the seating punch, which he should have. He will also have a way to measure and dispense powder.
I assume you've been saving cases.
What bullets to buy depends on the twist rate of your barrel: if it's 1:10 or 1:9, you need something 60gr and up; if it's 1:12 or 1:14 you can shoot 50 or 55gr bullets.
Midway is one place to order stuff from, but there are lots of others - their website is really easy to navigate and order through. http://midwayusa.com Other black rifle shooters can advise you on which powders to start with, I shoot .223's in a Contender carbine so that won't help.
Lee dies are inexpensive and include a shell holder.
You will need either case lube and a lube pad, spray lube, or Universal Sizing Die Wax for sizing your cases. Ask your friend what he uses and try it before buying something.
I recommend that when you buy your own press, you start with a single stage to learn on. You only have to pay attention to one thing at a time and you can take your time learning each step in the process.
You will also need to buy at least two current loading manuals - most of them have sections on the loading process, which has some differences and some similarities to shotshells. Both use primers and powder, they are just handled differently. It's really good that you have someone handy who can demonstrate and talk you through the process. Get very familiar with his equipment first, then look at what else is available before you you invest.
Plenty of folks on any of these three forums will be happy to answer any and all of your questions. Remember, the only stupid questions are the ones we don't ask. :-D Never assume, mistakes can be fatal - always ask whenever anything is unclear. We've been there and remember what it was like starting out. None of the operations are difficult, but there are a lot of them and no one can learn everything all at once.

dale clawson
04-04-2007, 01:13 AM
I would recommend Lee dies with the factory crimp die included for use in a semi-auto. There are lots of sites by the powder and bullet companies you can access on your computer, plus lots of info available on rifle and loads, but you probably know this. Since pressures are higher, charge weights are more critical than shotgun. Use caution and don't be afraid to ask. There is a wealth of knowledge for the asking. Dale

corporal
04-04-2007, 01:13 AM
versifier, thanks for the quick responce. i will check with my buddy and see what he all has about the things you mentioned here. I have a plinker olympic arms ar15. stamped on barrell i can also fire 5.56. a 1x9 twist rate

versifier
04-04-2007, 03:55 PM
5.56 is just the military designation of the .223 like 7.62Nato is for the .308. The outside dimensions of the cases are the same. Mil cases have crimped in primers and often the brass is thicker, lessening the actual capacity of the case. It means that they're harder to deprime, and the primer pocket has to be reamed or swaged to remove the crimp, no big deal, but an extra step in the process that only has to be done once. When pushing the upper pressure limits (which you will be unlikely to with a semi-auto gas-operated action) the smaller capacity can push pressure levels into the danger zone, but you will see this immediately if you are watching the primers of your fired cases, something you have to do anyway when you are working up loads.
With a 1:9 twist, you are going to be happier with heavier(longer) bullets. Sierra makes 60, 63, & 65gr varmint/hunting bullets and a 69-90gr match offerings. Nosler makes a 65gr Partition for deer and other match bullets from 69-80gr. Barnes makes 62 & 70gr TSX for deer, etc, but they are expensive. Other brands are: Berger, 15 different varmint bullets from 60-80gr. Hornady, 60-80gr varmint. Speer, 62 & 70gr match. Winchester 64gr varmint.
I would start with 65gr Sierras to work up your loads and go to 65gr Nosler PARs for deer. Winchester's 64gr are inexpensive and good for practice. Even though they are all roughly the same weight, all three will likely favor different charge weights of powder and possibly even different powders. I would also try some heavier bullets to see if your rifle likes them better. You never know - each rifle/barrel is different, and only yours can tell you what it likes best (even if someone else has the exact same model and barrel, they will shoot differently).

corporal
04-05-2007, 03:55 PM
Wow! I really do enjoy reading your guys replies for me. And here I thought this was going to be a peice of cake, kinda like reloading shotgun shells. I understand Versifier that buying those books to increase my knowledge about reloading these rifle shells, but I think you guys are going to find me asking many/many more ?'s because like I stated in the 1st of this post, the Govt. sure don't pay a heck of alot for medical retirement disability. But I do have to say this. For the 1st 3 years the Marines and V.A. just shunned me off I felt and let me go MIA in the billions of miles of red tape. But then after realizing myself that I really needed help, and then after begging and pleading and fighting them through the military and V.A. court system, they have taken very very good care of me medical and healthwise. I am a survivor of a traumatic brain injury resulting from car accident that I was a passenger in with 2 fellow Corporals 2 days prior to employment for OP. Desert shield. And Here in Wisconsin they don't have the facilities for TBI's, so I was set-up finally after the court stuff to get treatment in Minneapolis V.A. where they do have what I needed. A 4 hour 1 way drive from my house 1-way. I had to make that trip back and 4th 3X a week for 3 years. Lots of mileage built up on my POV. But now since they got my meds finally figured out and rehab progress as far as they could go, I report to the outpatient cV.A. Clinic hear in Appleton WI. to meet with my doc. there to go oveer meds and other details. So I understand that all these head injuries coming back from the war in Iraq, really is overwhelming the V.A. You would have to have a TBI to understand this. But I sincerely believe and understand the V.A.'s being overwhelmed by this and sincerely believe they are trying to do the best they can. I could'nt wish a brain injury on my worst enemy knowing alot of the process to recover and things that we all take for granted by our physical health of memory, tempers, motor function skills, etc. I just ask for you folks to try to understand that the Govt. isn't taking a backseat to these types of injuries. As hard as it is for me to say and feel, I would go through another head injury or offer up my life again for a chance to be in Iraq or Afganistan to watch a fellow marines back or try to make a difference. But since I am 100% service connected med. retired and brain injury, they won't take me back. I miss the Marines so bad. But trying to do my fellow Marines and this Country the best I can and Make the Marine Corps proud of me, please visit my dog "Corporals website and see how I'm trying to serve my Country yet (http://3531usmc.homestead.com/home3531.html) Semper-Fidelis !

lovedogs
04-13-2007, 01:38 AM
Just a quick suggestion, corporal. Powder burning rate was mentioned I believe. I think Hodgdon H335 and Accurate Arms 2230 were designed specifically for the "black gun"... military 5.56's. I've used both in bolt guns and Contenders and they've worked quite well. Used with mag primers they'll work all year 'round.

I'm both a vet and a retired federal employee who was forced into an early retirement because of disability so I understand your situation.

Best Regards, Mike

Placitas Slim
04-13-2007, 06:40 PM
Welcome to the forum Corporal. Also a vet and disabled. A load that has worked for a great number of rifles I have shot is 26gr of Varget behind a 50gr bullet and standard small rifle primers. It has given sub MOA in every rifle I have shot it in if I did my part.

Placitas Slim
04-15-2007, 10:09 PM
Made a mistake. It is 22gr of X-Terminator or 26gr of Varget. The Varget is the accurate load.