PDA

View Full Version : 260 Remington Build

GaCop
03-16-2007, 12:11 PM
New to the forums. Just finished building a 260 Rem on a Savage long action using an EABCO barrel 26 inch varmint weight with 1:8 twist, match Timney trigger, factory over size bolt handle and SSS .200" recoil lug. Action is topped with a B Square one piece mount and Weaver 4 point rings. Scope is a Nikon Buckmaster 6x18x40 side focus. I'm waiting for a Choate Ultimate Varmint stock to come in so I can try this rig at the range. Anyone using the Choate? I'd like to hear pros/cons for this stock.

Tom

versifier
03-16-2007, 03:50 PM
I don't know a thing about Choate stocks except for checking out one on a customized 10/22, and it looked to be very well make but didn't fit me, though that is what customizing is all about. It fits the owner perfectly and he loves it.

I am however learning to appreciate the 6.5mm. I have an ancient Mannlicher-Schoenaur that did its time with the Greek army. The outside looks like it lost the war, but the bore is perfect and the rifle is an absolute tack driver. I have only been able to come up with 14 cases for it, so I don't shoot it as often as I would like to. The .260 has a bit more powder capacity, and the newer action can handle pressures high enough to get another 3-400fps more than the 6.5M/S which makes it more interesting and more capable. Most of the 6.5x55 Swedes I've seen have been very accurate and they are the cartridge of choice in northern Europe for moose and caribou, and the .260 will do everything the Swede will do in a shorter, lighter action. Time will tell if it catches on here - I would like to see it do well.

GaCop
03-16-2007, 05:45 PM
Let me check my hoarding box, I may have a few Norma 6.5 MS cases I've been carrying around for years, your welcome to them.

I currently have four 6.5 Mausers, either sporterized or original military. I love the 6.5 bore. I recently picked up an M94 carbine that's all matching but, sadly, it has been sporterized with no chance to restore it to original as the receiver has been drilled/tapped for the Lyman aperature sight it has. The stock is cut down and sanded so bad I don't think the pencil thin grip will hold up to recoil any more so will re-stock it. The bore is bright and shiny so should be a good shooter.

I thought about barreling my Savage LA receiver in 6.5 Swede but decided I wanted to play with the 260 instead. I have access to a 1000 yard range in south east Georgia and wanted a cartridge that would reach out to that range but still be easy on barrels (unlike the 6.5/284). The 260 with the SMK 140 grain BTHP is ballistically identical to the .308 using 190 grain SMK's.

Tom

versifier
03-17-2007, 12:48 AM
PM on the way. Need any Swede cases? I've got some brand new ones.

hhrgprez
03-22-2007, 12:48 AM
Check out these stocks I found. I'm going to buy their new model for my Savage 12.
They are cheaper and Nice looking to boot. Richards Microfit gunstocks they have a website, but I couldn't get the link in.