PDA

View Full Version : Trail Boss Powder and .44 Mag

NavahoJoe
01-16-2007, 01:45 AM
Hi Folks, :mrgreen:
New to this forum. Got a question about TrailBoss Powder.

I have cast some 255 gr. RNFP

boolits, and sized them to .431 for my .44 Mag Ruger Super Redhawk. I would like to use TrailBoss Powder to load these boolits. The reloading info from IMR goes no higher than 250 gr. the question is: Can I use the data for the 250 gr load and downsize my powder charge a little, as in 1/2 gr or so, and load the 255 gr boolit with TrailBoss Powder?
I emailed IMR about two weeks ago and havn't recieved a reply from them. Any answers out there?
NavahoJoe

Also have the same boolit cast in .45 colt and no load for it in trailboss!

kg42
01-16-2007, 05:41 PM
Hi Joe

Where did you get your TB data? Do you have starting and max loads?

5 grains of lead is really little (2%) difference, unless it is with that LEE SWC with most of the bullet hiding in the case; you would be reducing the size of the combustion chamber and raising pressures for sure then. Is yours a Lyman or RCBS cowboy?

All I've got is this data table: http://www.imrpowder.com/data/handgun/trailboss-feb2005.php
I would try 5.5 grains and see where it goes (probably boring in the Redhawk).

For the 45 I'm afraid it's hopeless, but we've got a trade/sale section here...... Oops, my mistake, it's listed :mrgreen:.

kg

lovedogs
01-17-2007, 02:32 PM
With only 5 gr. difference I don't think I'd worry about it. There are so many other variables involved that that's not anything to worry about. Other things probably make more difference than 5 more grains in weight. Like what alloy, bearing surface, bullet diameter vs. bore, differences in primers, seating depth, etc. And then there's the fact that lead is more forgiving than jacketed bullets, also.