PDA

View Full Version : #4 Mke 1 Longbranch 1950

Canuck44
01-05-2007, 01:23 PM
Well I just scored on a Longbranch with about 150 rds through it. I have been on the look out for one for over a year. Trading a .38S&W Webley and a Webley MKe VI .455 Colt for it. Will have to pick up dies, shellplate and look for a mold for it. Any thoughts on a boolit for this old seamstress. Loads to would help using lead or J Bullets. Will post pictures later

Bob

versifier
01-05-2007, 07:20 PM
Bob,
I would start with some Sierra 150's and a can of 3031, and look at loads in the 2500fps range. 4064 and RE7 are also great with this case, and it may prefer even heavier 180gr bullets. With the incredible variations in chamber dimensions that exist in Brit mil rifles, starting with someone else's pet load probably isn't going to help you much. Just get yourself a set of Lee deluxe collet dies (includes a regular fl sizer) and a Factory Crimp for it and treat it as if it were a wildcat with fireformed cases. This is one chambering that can take a lot of patience sometimes, but usually is well worth the effort.

It sounds like your new toy has a pretty much virgin chamber, so I'm thinking positive and keeping fingers crossed that it won't require the careful care and feeding so often necessary with .303's. If you want to go cast, slugging the bore is even more important than with any other milsurp as there is quite a wide variation in bore diameters, too. I have loaded for dozens of these old girls over the years, and I have written quite a lot recently on our three fora about their care and feeding, so I won't go into a lot of detail. You can search for it easily enough if you haven't followed it. About the only one I have not been able to get a decent working load for, you could drop a jacketed bullet through the barrel without it hanging up. And if I had known then what I know now about cast boolits, it might not have defeated me. :-D

Canuck44
01-05-2007, 11:14 PM
Friend who had it has shot 2" groups with it so it should be a shooter with cast boolits. I will take your advice and see how the old girl does. The Canadian Gals that put her together did it with a lot of love so I suspect the chamber should be tight enough (I Hope). From what I have read the Longbranch rifles were as good as the Mke 4's got so she should be a shooter.

Everything is matching and original and not a factory refurbish so we shall see. I will post how she shoots.

Take Care

Bob

versifier
01-06-2007, 02:18 AM
With any milsurp, I like to use decent mil ammo as a baseline to compare results against before I start loading. Aside from filing the preliminary targets, pay attention to the diameters at different points of the case unfired vs. fired. Measure neck, shoulder, and web (up1/4" from head). That will tell you what you need to know without the hassle of a chamber cast. Remember that a fat neck isn't necessarily a bad thing, it just means you'll be better with cast of larger diameter. If there is a good shot at a pristine one with decent tolerances, you have it. IME, the worst ones came out of India. Let us know what happens along the way to MOA. :-D

d-o-k
01-06-2007, 05:47 AM
Due to Jealousy I refuse to make any coment !!!!!!!!!!:mrgreen:

Oh bugger it ! Now I've started I might as well finnish !

Their a great rifle & having matching Numbers is a big Plus ! The 150 gn Sierra is a great projectile ! I also use a Lee C312 -185

so far as loads go try 44.0gns of H414 for the 150 gn And a starting Load of H4895) with the 185 cast of 24.gns

Remember a well if using milsurp ammo in the .303 wash the bore out with Boiling water as soon as possible after shooting to remove the residure of the corrosive primers & then clean normally

Dave

Canuck44
01-06-2007, 02:19 PM
Here are the pictures. Must say I feel like a kid in a candy shop. Will do some casting today and tomorrow armed with some new IVI .303 British from my Ranger friends I'll do some testing and measuring. I have to order a shell plate from Dillon. The minor dings in the stock are from storage, other than that she appears pretty much mint.

Take Care

Bob

Canuck44
01-06-2007, 04:23 PM
Here is where the rifle was made and by whom. With a population of 10 million at the time and a million men in arms the ladies had to step up to the plate.

Take Care

Bob

Baldy
01-16-2007, 01:15 AM
Great pictures there Bob. Good luck with your new rifle. Versifier and Dave will have cooking on a high burner in no time.

versifier
01-16-2007, 05:40 AM
It's a good thing you're on the other side of the continent Bob. I can't get any drool on her from here. Have you had a chance to shoot her yet?

Canuck44
01-16-2007, 03:08 PM
I am off to the range today if the rain holds off. I have some FMJ and soft points to run through her. I plan on using the targets as a bench mark to compare results with my cast Lee boolits. Just waiting for a conversion kit from Dillon for my 550. I'll post pics of targets.

I also will be doing some measuring of cases to determine chamber size. Will cast chamber later with cerra safe. I have ordered some from Brownells.

Take Care

Bob

Canuck44
01-19-2007, 12:06 AM
Well I had my little lady out today. It was snowing with the temp just below freezing. Due to a number of reasons tests were shot at 50 yards rather than 100 yards. Using IVI 174 gr FMJ Ball managed a group of four @1.26". Using 180 gr IVI Soft Point managed a group of four @ .969". All groups were 2" low using the sight set at the bottom of the stack. This gun has the "S" rear stock which will be replaced with a "L" next week. I have long arms.

As to the cases measuring first approx 3/8" in from the rim, then the shoulder then the neck at the center here are the measurements.

New: .446 .398 .336
Fired: ..454 .406 .344

Exp .008 .008 .008

I am in new in new territory here so what all this means in terms of relative chamber size etc is an area I look to those on the board with far more knowledge then I for comments.

I will changing out the front sight to get my gun shooting closer to POA at 100 yards when the sight is set at the bottom. For ranges closer than that I can use the battle sight.

I look forward in developing CB for the gun using my Lee produced boolits and hopefully a Lyman 314299 boolit.

Dave as soon as my dies arrive I will try your load for the Lee boolit.

Take Care

Bob

Canuck44
02-10-2007, 11:36 PM
Just a quick up date I replaced the front sight with one 60/1000 shorter. You sight the #4 rifle in at 25 yards with a six o'clock hold. Aiming point is a 1" x 1 1/2" Black rectangle. Gun was shooting 2" low. Each 15/1000 of less front site reduces aim point at 25 yards 1/2".

Weather turned cold again so I am going to have to wait a week before giving it another test. May have some horizontal changes to make. Still waiting for the longer stock. More next week. Still waiting for my order from Graf & Sons. A couple of things I ordered are on BO. Hopefully I will hear they are shipped next week.

Take Care

Bob

C1PNR
02-18-2007, 12:12 AM
THAT is pretty neat!! Having a brand new, 54 year old rifle to work with! Hope you get it shooting really sweet!:-D

Canuck44
02-18-2007, 02:07 AM
Quick update, I reported I replaced the front sight with a shorter one. Gun placed three shots center right on the 25 yrd 1"x11/2" black zone. To wet and slushy to walkout a 100 yd target. Which is on the money. May have to drift the front sight a bit but to early to tell.
If rain holds on snow should be gone by Tuesday and I'll test it out at 100 yds.

Graff have shipped my order so I am a little like a kid on the 24th of Dec. I want to get some 314299 boolits cast and loaded up. Local store is out of 2400 but has some 4227 so I am going with it at 16 gr under those 200 gr boolits. Should work OK.

Re-installed the S buttstock until I can get a L. The one I was going to swap with was the in between length. Better than I have but still a tad shorter than I want.

Take Care

Bob

Baldy
02-18-2007, 04:22 AM
Sounds like Mother nature is working against you Bob. I have faith in you that you will get it running right along. You just need a little help with the weather. Good luck and good shooting.