View Full Version : what book or manuals do you recomend

rinconjoe
01-01-2007, 10:28 PM
ok how about the ,The ABC's of Reloading
any others you all recomend.

Cynical
01-02-2007, 02:06 AM
Welcome rinconjoe,

Hornaday's Reloading Manual was all I needed to get going.
That and a Reloader Jr. press, some RCBS dies, brass, powder, primers, and bullets. I even used a Lee powder dipper when I started loading 30-30.

Al

kg42
01-02-2007, 02:30 AM
It depends on what you want, there's a bunch of them... (thus the question I guess :)). There's an article on gunloads' front page, with tips.

Are you talking about Grennell's ABC's of reloading? I've got it... very interesting (casting, swaging, wildcats, tips, etc), but low on data and sometimes just an appetizer.

Steindler and Matunas have written books which seemed complete, but I was mostly interested in their extensive cast bullet data for rifle (local library has them, as well as Nonte's, Whelen's, Geary's and Wootters').

Most powder, bullet and tool makers have step-by-step instructions on line and in their printed manuals; I would buy a powder-independent one like Speer's as it should cover several powder brands and is said to have a lot of cast data, courtesy of belonging to the same group as RCBS.

kg

versifier
01-02-2007, 03:37 AM
Sierra and Lee manuals have some good info on the loading process, plus all the data you will need. I would urge you to buy both. Manuals from most of the major bullet makers have good sections in their manuals on the ABC's. I like Grennel's book a lot, also have Matunas' book and think well of it.

Canuck44
01-03-2007, 05:06 AM
Lyman's two books,:

Lyman's Pistol & Revolver Reloading Handbook

Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook

Two of the best along with:Hornady Manual is a good start.

Don't forget most of the powder companies have manuals available on line for the asking.

Members on this and Cast Boolit Forum if you want loads with experience behind them.

Take Care

Bob

Hunter
01-08-2007, 05:32 AM
I will agree with Bob. I bought the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook when I started casting and there are some good tips there. I also have the ABCs of Reloading as well as a spiral book on reloading the NRA puts out, both quality books.
For reloading manuals I favor Hornady, Sierra, and Lyman. I don't think you can have too many reference manuals.

kodiak1
01-09-2007, 12:27 AM
Started with just an old Speer I had given to me.
Now I think I have at least one of everybodies, don't need them all but nice to cruise through and compare usually they are all very close to the same but once in a while you find something different.
Ken

Baldy
01-09-2007, 07:16 PM
Lymans, Sierra, and ABC's of loading.

Ranch Dog
01-10-2007, 01:44 PM
I'm a little different I guess. I've pretty much stopped purchasing reloading manuals as I now shoot cast boolits exclusively except for one or two firearms and they are just waiting on me to get to them.

The Lyman books have some great basics in casting with their equipment but their reloading data is inadequate unless you want to shoot big-game rifles at pistol velocities.

I now use Load From A Disk (http://www.loadammo.com/) software to generate my loads with my cast boolits and saved enough (over a few years) not buying the various manuals to buy my own pressure trace hard/software. I bought the RSI equipment. (http://www.shootingsoftware.com/index.htm)

lovedogs
01-10-2007, 05:17 PM
Reloading manuals/books cater to different types of reloading. Available are the regular ones: Speer, Hornady, Sierra, etc., plus the more selective ones such as the ones for cast bullet loading, or Contenders, etc. Most component companies put out ones that are basic guideline types. There's a ton of them out there. Guess I'm like most of you in that I've got most of them. They're all interesting. I don't know that there's one that covers it all. Lyman's 48th Reloading Handbook does a pretty good job of that though. My advice is to look them over, pick the ones you think pertain to what you're doing first, and then add others as your interests/needs grow. You'll only end up with a small library of a dozen or so!