PDA

View Full Version : Lee classic cast press

Bullshop Junior
11-20-2006, 05:22 AM
I am wondering about the lee classic cast series. I Have an rcbs reloader special #3 but I would like to get a turret press, and was wondering about any af the lees.
DANIEL/BS JR.

d-o-k
11-20-2006, 05:32 AM
I still use the old type 3 station Lee Turret ,for pistol,Hornet & .223 size rounds ! I heard from a mate the New Classic Turrets are a vast improvement ,but his cracked 3 die palates using Collet dies ! I'm not sure what cals he was loading for & his being very vauge in answering me ! Personaly I like em ! Though there is a lot over here who wont even consider Lee prefering Dillion ! I load a hell of a lot more ammo than these people & have no complaints !

Dave

Bullshop Junior
11-20-2006, 07:25 AM
I still use the old type 3 station Lee Turret ,for pistol,Hornet & .223 size rounds ! I heard from a mate the New Classic Turrets are a vast improvement ,but his cracked 3 die palates using Collet dies ! I'm not sure what cals he was loading for & his being very vauge in answering me ! Personaly I like em ! Though there is a lot over here who wont even consider Lee prefering Dillion ! I load a hell of a lot more ammo than these people & have no complaints !

Dave

Right now I use a RCBS single stage, but sometimes when I am working up a load using only 3 or 4 cases it is kind of hard because I do not want to take out the seater die because I have it set just right, and that is why I want the turret. The lee is the cheapest, and for that reason I wanted to know the quality of the press before I give money up.
DANIEL/BS JR.

d-o-k
11-20-2006, 07:39 AM
For that purpose I'd be tempted to buy another O type like the Lee classic or even just a lee o type ,as I find there is a little play in the die plate & there can be variation in the seating depth which whilst it dosent bother me , it can be bother some to some shooters & the fact I've found there is'nt enough clearence to load rounds the lenght of say 303 as the bullet snags the seating die !

Dave

versifier
11-20-2006, 05:13 PM
I just got an RCBS Turret a month ago & I love it. It is over 1000 rounds and going strong. I have heard lots of good things about the Lees, especially the new Classic unit and I almost went for one, but I really wanted six holes. (I avoided the slightly cheaper Lyman because of the much superior RCBS Customer Service.) I am not setting up the press's automatic priming option as I am really happy with my Lee Autoprime2 that sits on a small Lee Reloader press. Lee has an autopriming unit (Lee Safety Prime) that works on their Classic Turret Presses based on the same system and it looks to be a winner. I prefer the light touch and better feel of the AP2 over any other priming system I have tried, so that would be a definite advantage to Lee's Turret. I often have to load many rounds in several calibers at one sitting and the greater number of holes (and an extra turret head) save me a lot of time changing dies, plus the turret system eliminates handling each case for each operation. But the reatail price of the 4 hole Classic is $120 and the priming unit is another $40, so that puts you into the same price range as the Lyman & RCBS. If you could find a used Lyman, RCBS, Redding, or Hornady turret for a decent price that would be the better way to go, but they aren't easy to find (I looked for quite a while), and buying new and on a limited budget, the regular Lee Turret at around $70 might make more sense for you.

Now that I have you thoroughly confused :-D , I will go on to say that I am still firmly of the opinion that everyone should learn to reload on a single stage press (and you did), but after 35 years of single staging it, I am doing a higher volume now than I ever have, several thousand rounds some months. As I really don't do the volume I feel would justify the investment in a good progressive like a Dillon, the turret was an acceptable compromise for me. You need to ask yourself are you really loading enough to justify it, or are you attracted more to the convenience of it? For a few hundred rounds a month or less, I don't think anything more than a single stage is necessary, and the money is better spent on die sets and components.

d-o-k
11-21-2006, 06:24 AM
Now that I have you thoroughly confused , I will go on to say that I am still firmly of the opinion that everyone should learn to reload on a single stage press (and you did), but after 35 years of single staging it, I am doing a higher volume now than I ever have, several thousand rounds some months. As I really don't do the volume I feel would justify the investment in a good progressive like a Dillon, the turret was an acceptable compromise for me. You need to ask yourself are you really loading enough to justify it, or are you attracted more to the convenience of it? For a few hundred rounds a month or less, I don't think anything more than a single stage is necessary, and the money is better spent on die sets and components.

This is music to my ears as I have been a avticate of single stage presses for years ! Esp where beginners are concerned ! I use the Turret for loading my work ammo due to shere volume Vs time ! I think that once again the average shooter is a victiam of the Advertiseing sections of manufactures ! We as reloaders & shooters are shown all these wiz bang gadgets ! It gets to the point that the new chum & a hell of a lot of Old hands can't see the Trees for the Forrest ! KISS........ keep ..it ..simple ..stupid wins every time in my books

Dave

Canuck44
11-21-2006, 06:31 AM
The Dillon 550B is a great press if you reload lots of pistol. When I load rifle I kind of use it as a multi single stage as I like to weigh all my rifle loads. Guess it depends on the powder you are using.

I have heard lots of pros and cons about the Lee's. I can't imagine anything easier to use then a 550B except of course a single stage. I guess if I was loading only rifle in smaller quantities I would get myself another Rockchucker press.

For pistol like the 9MM and .45acp for reloads for shooting IDPA/IPSC you just can't beat it - unless you get one of the bigger Dillons.:mrgreen:

Take Care

Bob

versifier
11-21-2006, 02:00 PM
Daniel, it just occurred to me that the cheapest alternative might be to buy two or three little Lee Reloader presses and set them up in series on your bench. They only run $20 or so each, and they have a deal where you get one free with the Lee manual, if you don't have a copy already. You can also buy them direct from Lee and sometimes they have them with smeared paint or back from whining customers for much less. You would still want to FL size on your bigger press, but the little ones will do everything else easily with a different die in each.

dale clawson
11-25-2006, 09:11 PM
My advice would be to go with the Lee Classic Cast Turret. Strong enough for tough resizing, can be used in single or progressive mode, spent primers All go into a container, You can see into the case to check powder level when using a measure, the safety prime system is fantastic and quick to change,will handle the biggest cartridges, about $75 from discount dealers,what's not to love??? Dale[smilie=w:

Bullshop Junior
11-26-2006, 06:36 AM
I am trying to sell a remington 788 in 223 and if I do, I will have the money to buy the new gun I want, get it set up the way I want, and will still have enough to buy the turret press. I want to get a stevens 200 in 7/08, and I got to give up one of my rifles, and money comes hard for me.
DANIEL/BS JR.

Ranch Dog
11-28-2006, 12:44 PM
...money comes hard for me.

You might want to consider just the standard Lee Turret Press (http://www.bosesguns.com/product_p/lee90932.htm) as it is about $25 less than the Classic Turret Press. I've been using the Lee 4-hole Turret press and figure I have close to 60.0K rounds through it. It has been the best money I've ever spent but I do figure the Classic Lee Turret press has got to be as good. I was offered one of the first Classics' but said "no thanks"... I hate to ruin a good thing.

I reload 25 ACP, 218 Bee, 223 Rem, 30 Carbine, 30-30 Win, 30-30 AI, 300 Sav, 32 WS, 35 Rem, 356 Win, 375 Win, 44 Mag, 444 Marlin, 45 ACP, 45 LC, 45-70, and 450 Marlin with the press.

With the cartridges that have an OAL of 2.3", I use the Auto-Index to sequence the turret. I use the simple Auto-Disk to drop the powder on the pistol cartridges but I use the Adjustable Charge Bar so that I can drop any charge I desire. The press is quite capable of turning out the advertised 200 rounds an hour in this configuration. On my rifle cartridges, other than the straight-walled cases, I use the Pro Auto-Disk to drop the powder. With the higher capacity cases, I use the Double Disk kit with the upper disk being the Adjustable Charge Bar. It does an outstanding job. If the cartridge over all length is greater than 3" or if you don't want to use it, you can disengage the Auto-Index and rotate the turret manually. It takes about 3 seconds to disengage the Auto-Index.

The utility of having the dies on a turret plate cannot be appreciated until you are working with the press. There is simply zero time spent on adjusting dies. I have all the types of presses from a "C" frame up through the Load Master and by far the simple Turret has more utility than any of them and I would put the accuracy of the delivered round of ammunition against any.