PDA

View Full Version : Al 8 Powder

dale clawson
10-27-2006, 02:16 AM
On my trips back to my home area I had noticed a little sporting goods shop in a small town, but it was always closed at the time I was there, until today. I was low on large rifle primers but found his price a little higher than I paid at home, so just took a couple hundred. I was looking at his powder prices and found them also a little higher, but I understand his being a small shop in the middle of nowhere. Then I saw a can of Alcan 8 peeking from the back of a shelf, so I asked if it was for sale. He said yes, and began wiping dust to find a price, then asked if I would give $5. I took him up and was pleased to find it looks like the day it was made. I don't know when they stopped importing it, but I used it in the late 60's. I bought some Al 7 at an auction a few years ago at $ 5 each for two eight pound kegs, plus a keg of SR 7625 at the same price and have enjoyed many rounds of cheap shooting. Today was only a pound, but the price was right.:-D

kg42
10-27-2006, 03:13 AM
Pffffuuuuuuuu...!!! For a moment I thought you were going to ask for reloading data in the 8mm Nambu Imp. or the 33 1/2 Rev. Short..... :mrgreen:

kg

Bullshop Junior
10-27-2006, 03:19 AM
Yes AL-8. Now that my friend, is GOOD powder! My dad got a couple pounds at a small shop in Glendive Montana. Good stuff I tell you. I used a lot of that stuff in my old marlin frackenstin rifle, a pre micro-groove 336 in 35 remington. I also used a lot of another powder that dad got at that gun show. He got 3 - 10 pound kegs of IMR-sr4756, for 10 bucks each. The guy had three more kegs for the same price. How I wish we got those! Dad gave me a coffee can full of 158gn cast bullets, and I shot them all in one winter, with the 2 powders. It does not matter what kind of powder it is, if is is the right price it is GOOD!!!
DANIEL/BS JR.

rocklock
11-06-2006, 01:01 AM
Great find!

AL-8 was the best powder I ever used for the .44 Mag.

dale clawson
11-10-2006, 01:30 AM
I will be trying it in my 45 acp behind 255 gr. swc.

KCSO
11-14-2019, 07:12 PM
O would like to fix more al8 as it is my best powder for my 357 carbines. With the 180 Safeco bullet i am getting uber an inch at 50 yards and i am down to my last pound.