PDA

View Full Version : been working !

d-o-k
10-20-2006, 09:06 AM
G'day Fellas ! I've just got back from a 5 week stint up North in the Desert ! It's the Old cry of terrible way to earn a living (dogging) But the moneys good :mrgreen: I reckon it'll take a while to get back to sleeping in a bed & not having to face my own cooking (but then again after today I may be back out in my swag again ...see rifle talk )

Dave

dale clawson
10-20-2006, 03:29 PM
Dave; Good to see you posting again, welcome back. Does dogging mean Dingo control?

versifier
10-20-2006, 04:07 PM
Welcome home. I was hoping that it was work and not something more serious. Tell us about the trip. What you do is so outside of our regular experiences that it makes for fascinating reading. When you retire, it might make a good selling book here.

Canuck44
10-20-2006, 05:45 PM
Good to see you back Dave. Trust shooting went well. Understand from your other post you are getting hot tongue and cold shoulder for supper these days...LOL. Serves you right! You should have bought the L.E. and the .243. The water doesn't get any hotter than boiling.:mrgreen:

Take Care - Will try to meet up with you in Chat one night.

Take Care Eh

Bob

kodiak1
10-21-2006, 01:55 AM
Jeez Dave I just got done tellin everyone here how they had busted you and you were shakin time. HARD TIME!!!!!!!
Try and help and look at the story he comes out with!!!!!!

Good to hear from you Dave.

Ken.:coffee:

d-o-k
10-21-2006, 11:49 AM
Jeez Dave I just got done tellin everyone here how they had busted you and you were shakin time. HARD TIME!!!!!!!
Try and help and look at the story he comes out with!!!!!!

Good to hear from you Dave.

Ken.:coffee:

Ken !!! Doing 5weeks on the fence is doing Hard time trust me on this!:mrgreen:
The dingo fence runs from the Great Australian bight in South Australia & divides WA /SA /NT/ Qld where it finarly ends in a field in the middle of nowhere ! Before WW2 there were Dog control Officers every 20 odd mile ! They were issued with Push bikes & on these they had to carry a Crow bar ,Shovel , Water bag ,Fencing gear ,Rations . They lived in small huts & were resupplied every 6mths ! The number of deaths through Snake bite ,suicide ,disease ,even murder was amazing ! Many like Light house keepers just went insane ! After the War vehicles were intoduced & comunication became avalible & their numbers were reduced . These days thefence is maintained by contracters (enter me ) I patroled roughly 3000kms of the Fence in 5 weeks working up to 18hrs a day ,7 days per week . Durring this time I repaired fenceing ,Baited ,Shot 427 Dingos , 300 foxes , repaired /replaced a head Gasket & destroyed 129 1/2 camels (one got away but I'm damn sure he would'nt of seen the sun set )

Dave

Baldy
10-22-2006, 02:45 AM
Good to here from you Dave. Sounds like you been a busey man. Well a fellow's got to make it while he can. That's the way it was for me too. Are the hides worth anything, or do you even get to keep them? Well anyway I hope you made a ton of money and can take a little holiday.

kodiak1
10-22-2006, 03:02 AM
Dave that bit on the Camels are those the one's you puff or the lumpy things they ride in the deserts?
If its the lumpy critter's I did not realize that Australia imported any.
Ken.

d-o-k
10-22-2006, 04:20 AM
Dave that bit on the Camels are those the one's you puff or the lumpy things they ride in the deserts?
If its the lumpy critter's I did not realize that Australia imported any.
Ken.

There are approx 700,000 feral camels in Australia & apart from a Thriving Live export trade of young Camels ,there is a market for Human consumption & pet food . As for dogs most properties pay a bounty of between $60 - 150 per set of ears . The Fence is contract & pays a set amount P/A (enough to keep the wolf from the door for several months)

Dave

kodiak1
10-23-2006, 12:55 AM
Damn look at that a lesson in geography (I guess that's what that would fall under). They fairly tuff to upset? What you plug them with?
Ken.