PDA

View Full Version : Reloading dies

lilalbertdavis
09-09-2006, 12:00 AM
Will any die fit in any reloader? I bought the cheap one, the RCBS Rock Chucker and would like to partake in pirchasing a set of 300 weatherby dies online. You's guys help?

kodiak1
09-09-2006, 01:44 AM
All the major die makers dies are 7/8" 14 TPI. and will fit in your RCBS.
I don't have and haven't seen any different sized diameters on dies.
So Lee, RCBS, Redding, Lyman, C&H, Pacific, Dillon will fit for sure.
Ken.

versifier
09-09-2006, 04:11 AM
The Rockchucker is the standard by which all other single stage presses are judged, and it's been in production with only minor changes since (I believe) the early 50's. There are a number of more expensive presses, but you've got a Lincoln, not a Ford. You really begin to appreciate the difference between it and a truly cheap press when you have a lot of fl resizing or case forming to do. Some use them for swaging, too, and nothing puts more stress on a press than that. It doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles, and that's a good thing for a beginner. That way you concentrate on learning each step in the process thoroughly, one at a time. My first press 35+ years ago was one of them, and it still sits on my bench and is in constant use. I have other presses, but I use them for lighter duty chores like priming or sizing cast boolits, all the real work gets done on the trusty old RCBS.
You will appreciate a rugged press working with big magnum cases, and all the big names make good dies in that size that will fit your press. Lees are about the best deal around, good quality and they include a shell holder (except their RGB sets) that other companies charge you for separately.

lgs
09-09-2006, 02:54 PM
My parents gave me a Rock Chucker for a christmas gift when I was 16. That was 30 years ago. Still using it for all my rifle loads. I have no idea how many rounds I have loaded but I uselly shot between 2000 to 3000 per year through my rifles. My Rock Chucker has never needed repair.

Marshal Kane
09-12-2006, 05:29 PM
Albert Davis, I hope you were joking when you called the Rockchucker "the cheap one" as you have one of the best built single stage presses on the market at an affordable price. Since you already have the Rockchucker, suggest you look over a RCBS die set while you're shopping around. They have a reputation for turning out excellent dies and all RCBS equipment carries a lifetime warranty with customer service second to none.
Kodiak, you are close to being right about the 7/8"x14 tpi dies being the standard for dies. There are other dies still floating around which are unique. The Dillon Square Deal, Lyman All-American, and Star Lyfetime are some falling in that catagory. The Dillon Square Deal is the only one that I know of still currently being made.

Ross
09-13-2006, 02:08 AM
Most Rockchuckers have a bushing in the die station for the standard 7/8-14 dies, and you can remove it to accept the Piggyback or larger dies for your Snider or .577-.450 Martini Henry.
I like mine for those last two.
Cheers from Darkest California,
Ross

Canuck44
06-01-2007, 03:48 AM
If you are loading the old military rounds I have come to like the Lee collet die system. Have them now in .303 Brit and .308. I shoot lead and am slowly moving to the Lee FCD to lightly crimp my lead boolits.

Take Care

Bob