PDA

View Full Version : Carnuba Wax?

kodiak1
08-14-2006, 12:56 AM
From what I have read on forum threads and in books and on the internet, This is the wax used on Edam or Gouda Cheese.
Okay so if you want to add Carnuba you have to buy the cheese and eat it. That was the easy part. No I didn't eat the wax!
Now when you peel that wax off there is the red stuff and the yellow stuff underneath kind of looks like a cheese cloth.

Sorry for being ignorant but sometimes it comes with age with certian things.[smilie=w:

To the question which one or both do you melt down to get the Carnuba?
I have always taken it as being just the red stuff, but I am not sure and I know there are many of you out here whom will be able to help me on this. PLEASE.
Thanks Ken.[smilie=s:

versifier
08-14-2006, 01:13 PM
Just the red stuff, but I don't know if it is the pure form of the wax. There was a thread on it next door on CB, which, if I remember correctly, included sources. A search on it there should get you good info.

MT Gianni
09-04-2006, 02:14 AM
I found an old container of floor wax, metal can probably from the 70's that says it's 80% carnauba tree wax, balancevegetable waxes. It has been well worth the dollar I paid for it. Gianni.

C1PNR
09-04-2006, 09:43 PM
My favorite source for the "free" Carnuba wax is the red seal on the top of Makers Mark bottles.;)

It's actually fun to gather more wax!:coffee:

Canuck44
09-07-2006, 06:16 AM
Just made a batch of Felix lube and managed to get a nice feed of cheese as a bonus. Seems to work really well. Wife bought a small package of small cheeses and turns out the wax wrapper was exactly a tablesppon of wax.

My Felix lube now hasa slightly pinkish tone.

Take Care

Bob

leftiye
11-23-2006, 03:34 AM
ebay! There's guys who make lubes all over that place. Several of them sell carnauba in sticks.

freakshow10mm
03-30-2007, 05:08 PM
Here is a link to where you can get some.

Users on Glocktalk.com report very little to no smoke.

http://www.lsstuff.com/lube/

Shooter6br
11-18-2007, 11:05 PM
I use Johnsons Paste wax.$ 4.50 a can at Lowes. Melt alittle in a metal can add bullets and shake around. Dry on wax paper. Takes awhile to dry. Cheap and can use on wood and leather. Try that with Lee liguid !!! Rick:) P.S only problem is wife makes me use it on household projects!

testhop
11-23-2007, 01:31 AM
welcome shooter6br
i made the same mistake with simple green great b.p cleaner made the mistake of telling the wife how good it was now every once in a while she tell me tom you are out of gun cleaner
so shooters be careful what you tell those femails it could come back and hauntyou

tom

RussB
12-19-2007, 02:20 AM
My favorite source for the "free" Carnuba wax is the red seal on the top of Makers Mark bottles.;)

It's actually fun to gather more wax!:coffee:

Yep! Right on the money!

miestro_jerry
01-17-2008, 01:26 AM
Carnuba wax is a little pricey on eBay, and I couldn't drink enough Makers Mark to have a devent amount, so maybe the Johnsons paste wax is the way I will go.

Thanks,

Jerry