PDA

View Full Version : Favorite powder in .22-250??

klausg
08-09-2006, 04:57 PM
Hey gang-

After a very long hiatus, my .22-250 is back; I don't think I've shot it in about 10 years, sadly my old reloading log is MIA and due to an extreme case of CRS I have no clue what I used to shoot in it. So it's back to square one with load development. I found 100 rds of brand new Rem brass on a deal so I'm good there, but I would rather shorten my development time with a little advice from you guys; I know that kg 42 & d-o-k almost have to have a pet load or two:mrgreen: . I'll be shooting Nosler 55 gr BT's and possibly Sierra 50 gr spitzers as my triple-deuce really likes those two bullets, that and IIRC it has a 1:14 (1:12??) twist so I don't think I can stabilize anything heavier.

As an aside, a good range report: My .222 is a Savage 24, .222/20 ga that is just surprising the heck out of me. I bought it as a pickup gun, which is what it still is, but it's just shooting way beyond my expectations. I imagine it would do even better with a trigger job, I haven't slapped a scale on it but it's got that 50 lb shotgun trigger feel to it. I put an old Lyman All American 4X on it, I would rather an old steel tube Weaver, but ... At the range for load development I find that it generally shoots just about anything I feed it with a 4 shot ragged hole and one flier. Whether the flier is me, the trigger or the barrel heating up I haven't determined yet. That barrel is just super-thin, about as big around as one of those semi-fat pencils you used to use in kindergarten, and five rounds is about all I can shoot before I have to take a break and scounge brass for awhile. The absolute best group was w/ the Nosler 55gr BT and a load of H322, (sorry don't have my notebook with me), .44" w/one flier. Deciding that further investigation wasn't really necessarry, I proceeded to shoot up the balance of my loads. I had 25 rds in five shot strings loaded with IMR 3031 and Sierra 50 gr. So 5 different loads of 3031 produced a single hole around .75" w/4 fliers, (two I called)[smilie=w:
-Klaus

versifier
08-10-2006, 12:02 AM
klaus,
First off, I have never met a Sav24 that wouldn't shoot like a house afire. I had a .30-30/20ga that would do 1/2 MOA with no trouble at all. I d&t'd to mount a Williams FP sight on it and that made the scope unnecessary (besides, the shotgun kicks hell out of rifle scopes). With the peep sight, it was good for everything from small game, to birds, to garden varmints, to deer and hung just inside my closet ready and waiting. Like a fool, I let my brother have it in trade, figuring I could get it back anytime as promised, but the %*/!@# sold it to one of his friends who won't part with it now for any money. Oh well.... live and learn.
As to the .22-250, 32.5gr of IMR 3031 under Sierra 55gr SBT's or HPBT's at approx 3500fps. RE-7 and IMR 4064 do a good job, too, but the above load does 10 shots in .35" at 100yds in my Rem 788. The same load with the 52gr HPBT MK is just as accurate, but I prefer the hunting bullets for their better performance on varmints. During initial load/bullet testing, I also tried Nosler, Speer, and Hornady bullets. They didn't do any better than MOA, and the Speers wouldn't shoot less than 1.5" (again, 10 shots @ 100yds). All bullets tested did their best with IMR 3031, but it was pretty close. RE-7 was #2, and it meters much more easily, but IMR 3031 is my "go to" powder for seven different cartridges and I use more of it than I do of all other rifle powders combined.

klausg
08-10-2006, 06:06 PM
versifier-
Thanks for the info and please excuse me for not including you in my thread. It seems that between yourself, d-o-k, and kg 42 I might never need to buy another load manual [smilie=1: . I have pretty much the same experience as yourself with 3031, it's kinda my "go-to" powder when I'm not sure what else to use. I'll work up some loads and give it a shoot this weekend. A bit about the .22-250, it's an old Ruger M-77 tang safety w/a bull barrel and a equally old Burris 4-12X. I got it used way back in the late '80's for a song; I had to refinish the stock but still a good deal. Then the Army shipped me to Germany, and other places so it remained in storage at my Dad's, (along with some of it's brother's). I currently have firearms stowed everywhere, siblings attics, friend's gun safes etc. in 4 different states. Eventually I will get all of them together again, so don't be surprised if in the future I'm asking this same question in re .41 Mag, etc. Anyway, thanks again, take care.

-Klaus

Daveb
08-25-2006, 07:33 PM
The mention of a Savage Model 24 takes me back to my preteen years-and that's REALLY going back! Had one in 22 Long Rifle and .410- my first gun ever! Like some of you I got trading fever and sold it a long time ago and wish I still had it. As for loads in the 22-250. I have a couple I use in my heavy barreled Encore under a 55 gr Nosler BT. I use 36.5 grains of AA2520-look at the velocity versus pressure. I also have used 40 grains of H-414. Both loads use a standard primer and give good loading density. I really like the way those ball powders flow through the measure. Good Luck!
Daveb

dale clawson
08-26-2006, 12:19 AM
33 gr. of 3031 has shot better than I can when my brother fired it in two different rifles, sub .500 in both. Bullet was Sierra match boattail hp 52 gr.

Alvin in AZ
10-06-2006, 12:32 AM
Hi guys first post here. :)

I'm not saying it's worth anything but you asked for my favorite. ;)

Using Remington brass because it won't fit in the others... 40.7gr of DuPont's 4350 CCI's BR-2 primers and 52 or 53 grain hollow point match bullets.

The fresh dumped powder won't fit in the case, it will stand slightly proud of the mouth. Carefully tap the case to settle all the powder down and it'll stop settling about half way down the neck, just enough room to seat the bullet.

On my 700 action I've got the bullets seated just shy of pulling the bullet out of the case, so I can change my mind without making a mess. :) BTDT

22-250s aren't particular IME, so make what you want out of what you got and see how she shoots. :)

After many hours of pouring over load data that give pressure numbers and interpolatingmybuttoff this is what I'm supposed to be getting with a 24" (1 in 14" twist) barrel...

3615 fps @ 49,620 cup with 52 or 53 grain match bullets.

It doesn't much matter what powder I used or how much, my old 80's 700VS/12XLeo (if I don't get in the way;) will link three bullet holes together at 100 yards, no sweat.

Alvin in AZ

MT Gianni
10-22-2006, 12:03 AM
My Savage 24 is a 22/20 gauge and it had a cheap chinese red dot scopeon it when I bought it. other than leaving the battery on it has been trouble free even with 20 gauge loads. Gianni