PDA

View Full Version : How about a brass rating scheme??

klausg
07-25-2006, 04:04 PM
Hey gang-

I did very well on the brass-scounging recently and got too thinking that I don't know enough about the various makers out there. So, I figured I'd start this one and get a little input. I'll start out with what I've already gleaned from here, and personal experience.

Winchester- top-notch

Remington- not great, not bad, I've never had any problems with it

A Merc-not worth picking up, sadly you have to pick it up to find that out

PMC- personally no difficulties unless the flashhole is off center, (broke a few de-capping pins), I'll use their handgun as I can eyeball the flashhole before I break another.

Aguila- I have some .357 that is on reload number 5, jury is still out

Federal- much the same as the Aguila, except that I have some .375 H&H also

@#%&*! Commie steel cases- good way to break an ankle

I'm looking for other opinions and any other brass I've forgotten, I've also come across some weird ones, are there any out there with collector value? Thanks in advance & take care.

-Klaus

Baldy
07-25-2006, 07:56 PM
I don't know of any I would call collector value. The only thing I pick up is the 45acp's. Steel,aluminium, or AMERC are junk. Anything else that I can stick a 45 in I shoot.

Canuck44
07-31-2006, 04:18 AM
I have to go with what Baldy said. I won't shoot steel cases in my guns, period. I reload so buying factory ammo is not on anyway. The only good thing Amerc brass is good for is filling up space in your brass recycle pail. Just "CRAP".

I haven't found any significant difference in shooting anything and everything I find. All lasts forever.

I shoot a lot of 9MM and reload for this caliber. Winchester and Remington brass is what I use all the time. The local RCMP use these makes to practice with so I get a ton of brass for free at the range. Brass from both companies shoots and lasts the same.

Take Care

Bob

The Flemish
08-01-2006, 10:37 PM
Sellier & bellot works well
no problems in .38 & .357, some ones are reloadet for the 6 time.

Chris

Explorer1
08-21-2006, 02:28 AM
Precision shooters rave over Norma and Lapua brass, but it is far from cheap or available in all cartridges. Remington is generally the next brand preference, Win tends to be a little softer.

Federal seems to be more willing to make specialty runs than the others, such as IHSMA cartridges.

Star brass has earned a great following, as has the new Nosler line.

So many options, what's a guy to do? (commonly I buy what's on sale unless it has a special purpose...)

BluesBear
08-22-2006, 04:52 AM
I've never had any problem with Speer/CCI, Fiocchi (GFI) Mag-Tech (CBC) or Starline brass either.

I believe Black Hills and Cor-Bon brass is produced by Starline.

I've discovered that it's more how important how the brass is worked during reloading and firing than who produced it.

But I will agree that A-MREC is JUNK.

Bullshop Junior
09-20-2006, 06:36 AM
I had a box of mixed brand 223 that I have had since I got the rifle (2 years ago). they where geting close to 50 shots, and what made me thow them away was I cept lossing them hunting, and there was only about 10 left. I do not really like remington, my they have a thiner neck,and when using cast bullets the bullets will some times fall into the case. winchesters are ok, but When I load up hot for L.C . militery, and then use the winchester cases, I usly have to get them out with a hammer. they have a thicker web.
DANIEL/BS JR.

Jammer Six
10-05-2006, 06:53 AM
I'm new to reloading, and brand new to this board.

Not much experience to draw on, only a few thousand loads so far.

Don't like cleaning Federal, Winchester or Remington.

Whatever those companies use for powder, it doesn't like to come out.

I clean brass like I mean it:
http://www.oz.net/~jammer/Brass/index.html

8)

But those three brands don't come clean after 24 hours sometimes.

I like Armscor, (headstamp AP) because it cleans right up.

I like nice, shiny brass, because everyone knows shiny brass shoots straighter, and I like the inside as shiny as the outside, so if I decide to weigh a charge, I can look inside and see at a glance that I got all of the powder onto the scale.

Probably too picky.

But that's one of my favorite things about reloading- I can be as picky as I want to be. :mrgreen:

Looking forward to chattering with all of you here.

rocklock
10-17-2006, 02:19 AM
I reload for quite a few oddball calibers (11x59R Gras, 8x50R Siamese, 8x58RD, etc.) and have been quite pleased with Buffalo Arms brass.

I have had some serious problems with Bertram brass, however.

OLD RSM
10-18-2006, 08:05 PM
I use .45 APC, 9mm,.38, 30-06 and .303 British
I like in order Federal, Winchester,R-P and pickups.
Cheers Gerry

kg42
10-18-2006, 09:01 PM
Winnipeg! Another place where you can't read the brand of the pickup brass in spring :mrgreen:. At first I wondered why you put them all together :).

Welcome aboard Gerry.

kg

Baldy
10-19-2006, 07:07 PM
Jammer I don't know what your problem is with the brass. I can take any one of the three, and put about 200rds in my vibrator tumbler for 2 hrs and they come out looking new. Try putting in some Nutone car polish with corn cob. That's what I use, and I have no troubles at all.

Jammer Six
10-19-2006, 11:43 PM
I like the brass as shiny on the inside as it is on the outside.

The reason is so that when I'm weighing loads, I can look inside and know that I got all the powder out.

And because I'm uppity, picky, and downright persnickity, all rolled into one. :coffee:

Bullshop Junior
10-23-2006, 02:14 AM
A little bit of turtle car polish wax, mixed in the media. They come out looking better then new.
DANIEL/BS JR.

d-o-k
10-23-2006, 08:18 AM
Bertam brass comes in for some really reports ! ........Cause every word of it is true ! They used to make fantatic Brass & then it went belly up ! I still get my .310 cadet brass from them but that's all I would have to put Winchester at the top of my list followed by Highlander ,PMC, Federal ,with Remmington & Bertam right on the can't get anything else list !!!!!!

Dave

Canuck44
10-23-2006, 02:48 PM
Winnipeg is to cold in the winter for the brass to tarnish! Brass won't tarnish when the temperatures go below -40F for months on end.:mrgreen:

Jammer Six - Use the liquid car wax (just a capfull) in your media and tumble your brass for a couple of hours and it WILL be clean and shinny. If it isn't try tumbling your brass with the machine plugged in.
Just kidding, but I think you will find it works.

Take Care Eh

Bob

Jammer Six
10-23-2006, 03:21 PM
If it isn't try tumbling your brass with the machine plugged in

:mrgreen:

I've been wondering about that.

Maybe you can take a look, and tell me where this thing plugs in?

http://www.oz.net/~jammer/Brass/index.html

Daveb
05-07-2007, 04:30 AM
Hey! I just stumbled onto the thread and thought I'd ask if anyone has had any experience in reloading Independence brand brass. I bought a couple boxes of 357 loads in this brand and have been reloading them. They are on their 4th time around and still looking okay. Just wondered if anyone else has used this brass. Is it worth keeping? Thanks!

kg42
05-07-2007, 08:29 PM
They are said to be made in Brazil by CBC/Magtech. Do you still have the boxes?

You just reminded me of that advice I regularly get on ranges: " After 4 or 5 reloads brass is not good anymore" ... [smilie=w: ...........shorrry :)

kg

Bullshop Junior
05-08-2007, 04:13 AM
Hey! I Just got my first 303, and traded it for a different 303 today. I was looking at my 303 brass, and I have same pmp, and some weird ones with a flame for a head stamp. I only have one of the flame ones, But someone just gave me a box of pmp 30/06 brass, and I had some in 303. I would like to know your opinion of these cases.
Also, my brother has some 6.5X55 brass with the flame, and will not use it because he does not know what is is.
Thank you.
Daniel/BS Jr.

lovedogs
05-20-2007, 03:13 PM
Jammer Six... I hope you were kidding when you said shiny brass shot better. That' definately not true. It just looks better. I've been reloading for 39 years and have finally come to think that polishing cases is like putting make-up on a woman. It makes them look better but it doesn't do anything for their character. I've many sets of dies that have never had a cleaned case ran through them and they're not worn out as some think will happen if you don't clean your cases. I just make sure they're not dirty inside and wipe them off with a rag before running into the die.

Cleaning a case doesn't change their tolerances so I don't see how they'd make for more accurate loads. In fact, the top barrel makers will tell you that those who clean their cases religiously have more throat erosion than those who don't clean cases because of the abrasives they're blowing down their barrels.

Besides looking nice there's no advantage to cleaning cases. It's all hype and many fall for it. Look how much money people are making from this case cleaning business. I chose to invest my $$ in powder and lead.

Sigma 40 Blaster
06-11-2007, 07:13 AM
I have had some trouble with .40 S&W Speer, apparently their cases are a little shorter and thinner than Winchester et al and are the only cases I have had misfeeds with. The shorter and smaller case also make for a little harder blast...

Hunter
06-20-2007, 05:05 AM
I like Federal, Hornady, and Winchester brass the best.
Remington is not bad and PMC is fair.

robertbank
07-19-2007, 09:10 PM
I should add since taking on my .303 Brit Longbranch I have found IVI brass in that caliber to be very consistent.

Take Care

Bob