PDA

View Full Version : Fed 45 Auto SP Primers

Mongchi
04-07-2014, 02:09 PM
I just ran into a problem that I have never seen after having made some 25K to 35K reloads. I was running some Blazer and Federal 45 Auto brass with small pistol primers through my Hornady AP Press and had a problem. Several of the primer cup tore and only on the Federal brass. I had to stop and size the Brass on my Rock chucker.

Has anyone seen anything like this. I gonna try my RCBS Primer pocket uniformer on my case prep. I don't care about a few pieces of brass but it really puts a hamper on a progressive press when you have to stop and clear the problem brass.

Thanks

versifier
04-07-2014, 02:32 PM
A couple of possibilities come to mind. Both of them come down to this: what brand of dies? It is possible that the decapping assembly on your die is too large in diameter to handle the SP flash holes and some of those cases on the smaller end of the spec range were too tight a fit. If not, I'm thinking that the decapping stem was either set a bit too low, or depending on the brand of die, it might have unscrewed a bit and ended up too low. (A problem like that would have broken the decapping pin/holder assembly on RCBS, Lyman, or Hornady dies but not Lee's which are integral and much more ruggedly made.) Remember that it is only in recent years that .45ACP cases with SP primer pockets have been readily available, and an older die set may simply not have been designed with them in mind. Some years ago I pulled the decapping assembly right off of a set of RCBS .30-30 dies when I got a box of brass with SR primer pockets. First case through the die did it. RCBS sent me a whole new stem, pin, and expander ball to replace it and the tech said to not use that brass. I know the .45ACP die has no expander ball, but the diameter of the decapping pin itself might be the problem with the SP brass.

Mongchi
04-07-2014, 06:05 PM
Thanks Versified,

The dies are RCBS Carbide and they were bought new 2004 to 2006. My original thinking for posting in the "Component" was Federal primers are softer. I had lighten the trigger on my Ruger SP101 357 DAO with a wolf spring fro 15lbs to 8lbs. I liked it so much I cut the spring and streched and got it to 5lbs got would get a Click-No-Bang with CCI and Remington primers. I have never had a problem like this before and use a lot of Fed 100's. I don't know the orgin of the brass, a buddy gave it to but I think it is factory.

They are now in my scrap brass bucket not worth the work. I got what I paid for, free and "anything free is worth saving up for"

Hellrazor
04-07-2014, 07:51 PM
That would be a real PITA on a progressive press. Never saw that happen before..