PDA

View Full Version : Pro 1000 by Lee

Baldy
06-27-2006, 12:42 AM
Anybody out there got any pros cons on the Lee pro 1000 press? I got one coming and I am just trying to get a head of the learning curve.:confused:

kg42
06-27-2006, 09:52 PM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAArrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh h! Run for your life, don't leave any forwarding address and let the wife use it.......
Just kiddin :):)

I bought mine $80 I think, in LEE's surplus items. It's a used and reconditioned one.
I mostly bitch about the priming system which started goofing up when it got dirty, I think (or maybe it's because my bench is not straight; the primers don't always come right and jam the plate).
A shooting pal doesn't have the same problem; however we agreed that you should always have about 10 extra primers in the tray as they are fed by the pressure of the next ones in the "primer trough".

I tried to load the tray with more than 110 primers but they wouldn't go through (SP or LP I can't remember...).

So at the end, with the priming problems I don't go any faster than with my old Turret, but it's more relaxed with three operations being done at once; and it seems that the little nylon hex ratchets last much longer in the 1000.

Also LEE says that you've got to take the whole carrier away to change the shell plate but I don't; it's very easy to unscrew the thingy (drive bolt) holding it with the carrier in the press: use a little hex wrench after dropping a screwdriver in the front hole of the plate to block it.

Don't hesitate to ask if you have problems or if I wasn't too clear :)

kg

Baldy
06-28-2006, 01:11 AM
Thanks KG. This is a used press and the gentleman I got it from has told me about the primers also. I will take your advise to heart and go slow and keep the primer tray full. Thank You very much for your feed back.:mrgreen:

versifier
06-28-2006, 04:01 AM
Just remember the warning Lee puts out about only using CCI & Winchester primers. It's never been a problem for me as that's pretty much all that's available around here, but there is likely a good reason for the warnings. I use an AP2 which has the same feed system and I really like it, but you do need to have plenty of primers in it for it to run smoothest. Not such a big thing for me, but on the turret I bet you'd be inventing some new words if you weren't aware of it.

Baldy
06-29-2006, 12:55 AM
Hi Versifier. I think I am going go real slow with it for sure as I am mostly self taught. I made enough mistakes with my Dillon. Oh by the way Versifier those Nickel plated shells are still going and they will be on their 7th round this week end. I had a brass one split at the mouth and I had to pitch it. I have no idea how many rounds might have been on it. I use Winchester Primers only at the present. Have a Good day..Baldy:mrgreen:

kg42
06-30-2006, 12:34 PM
Baldy, in case the original got lost, you can download the Instruction Sheet from LEE's web site: http://www.leeprecision.com/html/instruct/index.html

kg

Baldy
07-01-2006, 03:25 AM
Thanks Versifier I'll go there and get a copy.:mrgreen: