PDA

View Full Version : Check engine light

picklehead
03-05-2014, 12:25 AM
My check engine light came on today.The truck is a 2010 ford ranger with 43,000 miles on it.I changed the oil last week like I always do at 4000 to 5500 miles.I checked the oil level and its fine but noticed the puke box for anti freeze was about empty and it wasn't like that that week because when I change oil,I CHECK everything.I know the level is differ from hot or cold but never seen it almost empty.It was 14 here this morning but the light didn't come on until I was half way home and the temp gauge is running where it should when very cold out.I checked the gas cap also because I know they will give a person fits on newer stuff time to time.

I can hook it to a computer but don't have a clue what the Ford codes are once it shows me.Any advice would be great and will change the anti freeze this weekend because its about time to do so.I haven't touched this truck since the day I bought it new,other than change the oil and air filter when needed.I hate to work on stuff that's new and don't know anything about them other than regular maintenance/simple stuff.

Hellrazor
03-05-2014, 12:39 AM
Does your heater work ok?

Some of the Ford codes:

http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/ford/

SkyKid
03-05-2014, 12:58 AM
Picklehead
Check your oil dipstick
I had a check engine light on the other day(2009 F150)
So I opened the hood and looked around pulled the oil dipstick out to check level and that's when I noticed it wasn't all the way down(I had checked the oil level a few days ago so I don't think I pushed the stick all the way in when)

Clayt
03-05-2014, 11:56 AM
Every code can be found with a google search. Just because the light went out for a while doesn't mean the code was gone. Some codes require a complete cycle of operating temp and highway driving conditions to reset or reappear. The code(s) will still be in the CPU memory.

Go to Auto Zone or a place like that and they'll read the codes so you can figure out what to do next.

Loosing antifreeze is NEVER good. It's a closed system and it went "$omewhere".

picklehead
03-05-2014, 10:57 PM
I jumped the gun on the anti freeze.It is fine,the truck wasn't level and had cooled off.I checked everything I know of so far other than putting it on a lift.I unhooked the bat and the light is gone for now but will hook it to the computer Friday.

kodiak1
03-06-2014, 12:58 AM
I had a 1989 Bonneville the Check engine light come on at about 90,000 it stayed on and was still on when I sold it at just shy of 400,000. I am sure that I had changed every other bulb in the entire car in that time but that damn check engine light stayed on strong and bright!
I finally after about 50,000 put a piece of mend all electrical tape over it so that it wouldn't shine in my eyes while driving at night.

She was a great car…….

Ken.

Hellrazor
03-06-2014, 01:44 AM
We have a work truck that throws the check engine light on when you are plowing 10+" of heavy wet snow. Truck must not like the stress on the motor/tranny or something. They never find a real issue, they reset it or it goes away on its own.

RiverRider
03-06-2014, 02:44 AM
I went through a freekin NIGHTMARE with a '99 Suburban this last spring. I changed every transmission part there was that might even be next to anything associated with the code---and some of those parts twice. I kept clearing the code with my reader and it kept coming back and putting the truck in limp mode, 2nd & 3rd gear only. I finally gave up and let the POS sit in the driveway until the battery drained down really good for a couple of months. When I went out to start it to get ready to sell it (very cheap!), I had to jump it. I decided to drive it around on the acreage behind the house. No CEL. I drove it to the store, no CEL. I drove it again and again, no CEL. I figured that the computer had more thoroughly cleared by sitting there with a dead battery for several months and that just clearing the codes with my reader had been leaving something bad behind in the computer. So I put it up for sale and a guy showed up with cash in hand. He wanted to drive it around the block and I said "sure." He came back two minutes later with the CEL on. He made a ridiculously low offer and I took it. Aaaarrgghhhhhh!!!

BBerguson
03-07-2014, 12:51 AM
Had a similar issue with a ford expidition. A really long story turned really short... It was a bad fuse box. Replaced it and it's been fine ever since.

BB

picklehead
03-07-2014, 01:32 AM
HellRazor,you might be on to something because I had one helluva load of wood on it Sunday.Its not back on yet and who nows.If it was an older truck/car then I wouldn't even care but it only has 46,375 miles on it.I thought it was about 43,000 and asked the Ford place if the light came on to tell me that I need to change the trans fluid or do a full service and they said NO and bring it in.Yea,i bet I do.They aint getting my money for nothing and will see how it does since I unhooked the bat and got it to go away.If it comes back then I will do something about it.I ran the piss out of it today on the way home and everything seems normal.

I just wonder if running it in 4 high the other morning up to 50 MPH done it.I caught myself in a clear straight stretch running it faster in 4 high than I ever have before.I think the book says no more than 25 in 4 low and 45 in high.

mikeh
03-07-2014, 02:05 AM
Did you reset the odometer counter for engine maintenance? How about the fuel tank - remove and then put cap back on with one or two clicks (my vehicles will give me an engine warning light if the cap is not sealed).

picklehead
03-07-2014, 03:10 AM
Yep Mike I did.The gas cap was the first thing I checked along with the oil cap.Ive been known to get in a hurry when changing oil and thought I might have not put the cap back on.

I love this Odometer because it goes up to,I DONT KNOW on TRIP.I use it to remind me when the oil needs changed.For the REG ODOMETER,i don't think it can be reset and don't think we are on the same page.Mine has the true mile reading and trip.Our car has two trips,A and B but they go to 999 only.I put a sticky note on the car to say when to change the oil.It wouldn't matter if the trip went to 100,000 on the car because the wife resets it every time she fills up with gas.Dont know why because it don't matter what gas mileage it gets,,,EMPTY IS EMPTY the way I see it.Put gas in it or walk.I wish my truck got 36 MPG though and that's what our car gets on average no matter where she buys gas at.My truck gets a whooping 18.5 to 19 on a good day.

Hellrazor
03-07-2014, 09:33 PM
Pickle, We beat the crap out of our work trucks plowing. The one that has the issue is a 2005 F250 and has thrown that code since 20,000 miles or so. Nobody wants to buy my work truck if they saw me plowing with it :)

mikeh, welcome aboard. The new gas caps are a PITA. Ran into that issue a few times.

Kirbydoc
03-08-2014, 02:04 AM
I had a 1962 Catalina, no check engine light on that beast! ROFL!

picklehead
03-09-2014, 09:20 PM
I think I figured it out.The temp gauge has been running a tad low and thought it was because its been cold here.I put a thermostat in it today and hope that takes care of it.The temp gauge is running in the middle of C&H now like it always has.It wasn't easy to change but not that bad either.Three bolts and one hose clamp= 45 minutes.

picklehead
03-13-2014, 01:40 AM
Got the truck fixed.Took it to Advance Auto and the computer said coolant bla bla.I put a thermostat in it and problem is solved.Guess the thermostat was sticking open and not letting the motor get up to 190 or so.I thought the temp hand was running a tad low because it been just freaking cold out.

$20 and 45 minutes of work got it.The temp hand runs in the middle now like always instead of two needle widths down.I bet that's why I noticed it was burning more gas also.If the temp isn't right than the computer tells it to add fuel or air.Its was tight getting it changed but id bet the Ford garage would have handed me a bill for about $400 or more.I almost took the throttle body off to get to it but had about 3/8" of room to change it.

HELLBOY,you was beating the nails head all to heck when you asked if the heater was working good.Its was,but not like it has and thought that 10 to 25 degrees outside was the problem with the heater and motor temp.You get a pat on the back brother.

Hellrazor
03-14-2014, 10:41 PM
All of the Fords I had or had at work have excellent heaters in them. Nothing like plowing snow with the heater on max, the windows partially open and wearing a tshirt.... just to keep the windshield clean.

j1
05-25-2014, 05:34 PM
How would you check it if the bulb burned out? :coffee:

Do Hyundais have check engine lights? I have overheard people knocking Hyundais as cheap, poorly made vehicles. I must have been lucky. Not joking.

j1
08-27-2014, 09:23 PM
Sell it while it still runs.

Kirbydoc
08-29-2014, 08:27 PM
I DETEST check engine lights and their stupid code readers. I have an O2 code that comes on. I have replaced the sensor one time, repaired the wires one time, and replaced the wires once. I*t's *on* *# AGAIN #*

Clayt
09-02-2014, 11:28 AM
There may be more than 1 "O2" sensor on your engine.

j1
10-15-2014, 07:28 PM
Strange Pickle none of MY guns HAVE a check engine light. Maybe that only comes with the Weatherby's.

Clayt
10-16-2014, 10:55 AM
J1,
ROFLMAO! :lol:

Kirbydoc
10-17-2014, 03:04 AM
It does have more than one O2 sensor but It is specific. I know I have replaced that bugger, fixed the wires twice too. No joy in Mudville.

j1
10-17-2014, 03:37 PM
Hey Clayt, bonjour. Nice to learn who else has a good sese of humor.

Clayt
10-20-2014, 05:23 PM
Bonjour! Closest to French that I am is the toast I had on Saturday

SkyKid
10-20-2014, 11:10 PM
don't forget to Oui Oui mon ami

j1
10-22-2014, 07:24 PM
My dog and I both wee wee. Can't use more masculine terms cause I have to give him commands and if there are little kids around I can still tell the dog to "Go make a wee wee.". He knows what it means and obeys too. He is a great dog. I am really glad that we got him.

Hellrazor
10-22-2014, 07:33 PM
j1, did I ever tell you my dog was religious?

j1
10-23-2014, 10:54 AM
Bon jour Hell you are evil. No you never told me that your dog was religious. What religion is it?

We have been to Paris and I can say that it is a beautiful old and interesting city.

Hellrazor
10-23-2014, 08:44 PM
Its amazing how religious she is. All I have to do is yell "Jesus Christ! Get over here!" She is sitting in front of me in a flash.

Mike in tx
10-23-2014, 11:16 PM
I grew up on a dairy farm and every cow was religious; my father trained them well.