PDA

View Full Version : Attention RLB Gypsies

DrHenley
03-04-2014, 02:25 PM
The RLB Beta site has now been elevated to Permanent Refugee Camp status :D

versifier
03-04-2014, 04:43 PM
No Doc, I'm not buying it. Sorry, but I do not plan to join the new site. While my reason may not be a problem for many, it is more than enough for me. After reading the terms of use when I checked out your "new RLB site" weeks ago when it was first set up, I discovered that (just like at YUKU) everything posted (that includes photos) becomes the property of the site's owners and I would need their permission to publish elsewhere anything I might post. (My lawyer looked it over and agreed with me 100%.) That makes it completely unacceptable for me. FWIW there are a number of other popular firearms forums with similar terms of use, and I do not join them either. I was warned to always read the rules carefully before joining any forum. I signed onto pre-YUKU knowing that, and figured if I was careful about what I posted I could put up with it until we found a decent home. I think we have found a good one here. I do not consider this site to be another "bomb shelter". I consider it to be a welcome and suitable home for us. Obviously you do not.

Here at all three GunLoads forums (just like at Greg's original RLB site and several others) the individual posters retain full rights to what they post. Unlike many of you, I write for a living. Much of what I post on various forums is/will be published elsewhere when and as I see fit. I will ask NO ONE for PERMISSION TO USE MY OWN WORK. This is an issue I will neither debate nor compromise on, never have, never will.

Hellrazor
03-04-2014, 09:47 PM
I'll be hanging out over here. I am not a fan of free forums and their baggage either. Hopefully we can resurrect this forum and move forward instead of creating more forums for people to share less and less of their time reading.

Mike in tx
03-04-2014, 10:10 PM
Hellrazor I think a fair start to improving the usage of this forum has started.

BBerguson
03-04-2014, 11:46 PM
Yep, I kind of like it here too and the guys I really liked conversing with are here. Wasn't that the original goal to find a place we could call home? The only one missing is Greg and he was Mia from rlb anyways...

BB

SkyKid
03-05-2014, 12:54 AM
I joined both sites
I don't write like Versifier does so to me it's no big deal
I just want to stay in touch with as many people as I can that I've met on the RLB
I'm glad a lot of us are visiting both sites
I'll continue to do the same

elkhunter77
03-07-2014, 09:30 PM
I am also going to visit both sites. I like the folks at both of them. Besides, nobody wants to buy what I write anyway LOL

j1
03-10-2014, 07:22 PM
I currently visit three sites. No big thing for me as my writing will never be used commercially.

Jammer Six
03-11-2014, 01:30 AM
I don't write like Versifier does so to me it's no big deal

"I don't shoot so to me it's no big deal"

versifier
03-11-2014, 12:35 PM
There are a lot of folks I really don't want to lose touch with either, and aside from the "free forums" issue we don't need a mod who throws hissy fits. But at least it's now clear exactly where the problem is and I can simply avoid it while still having a nice place here for all who want to come. They all know we're here, that they're welcome, and we're easy to find.

Hellrazor
03-11-2014, 09:26 PM
You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink.....

elkhunter77
03-11-2014, 10:30 PM
Vers, what are these other sites associated with this one that everyone talks about? Do I need to register there also? Mark

versifier
03-12-2014, 01:27 AM
The other two forums are GunLoads (you need to register) and Cast Boolits (I'm not sure what their current policy I don't go there much unless I need to look something up). We used to have links to them at the top of the page. Start here at the GL Home Page (which is also well worth checking out, all kinds of interesting stuff there) and follow the links in the left hand column from there: http://gunloads.com/

Jammer Six
03-12-2014, 02:38 AM
Cast Boolits will welcome you with open arms, as long as you're a christian republican and blame everything bad in your life on the President. One of two sites I've watched defend racist language.

fryboy
03-12-2014, 03:49 AM
considering that some of your comments o'er at castboolits jammer added to by your " i dont shoot comment" i have to wonder why you hang around reloading forums ......

any site will be what the user makes it , they all only work by user input . reloaders , casters and shooters in general are a gregarious lot ( people who delve only into politics ... not so much ) those who either wish to share knowledge or learn from those who may have knowledge usually do well at such sites , the real statement i guess i have to make is that no matter where you go there YOU are

Jammer Six
03-12-2014, 05:02 AM
Get a grip. I'm an instructor. I shoot all the time.

I was commenting on SkyKid's comment about writing ownership.

elkhunter77
03-12-2014, 02:25 PM
Jammer I am an instructor also. Spent much of my life training SRT shooters and such. Sarcasm is the only thing that keeps me together anymore LOL I really try to stay away from politics, religion, race and just about any of them type of conversations. There is plenty of hate in my line of work and I really don't need to look for more.

versifier
03-12-2014, 02:57 PM
Skykid was just trying to mend a fence, he's an incurable optimist and an old friend. :mrgreen: I can see how his comment might have appeared to someone who doesn't know us both well and wanted to stick up for me because of what was said on the other site. Your hearts are both in the right place, I clearly recognize real friends by their actions. Jammer smelled the beginnings of a pogrom, as his "I do not shoot" reference alluded to the German priest who said "When they came for the Jews , I looked the other way because I was not a Jew....when much later they came for me, there was no one left to stand up to them." This time it was just one individual with ruffled feathers because he sees a different path than the one I wish to follow, not a systemic threat.

Jammer has a valid point about CB though. When I asked publicly that mods and others follow the clearly written forum rules and not make religious posts because they tend to be divisive and alienating to non-Christians like me, and that we should be focusing on what we have in common, i.e. shooting and casting, I got a series of hate filled PM's from two of the mods telling me that I was not welcome among "this group of Christians" and would never be. That was about eight years ago. I have not posted there since, and never will again. I still do research there for cast loading data and I consider it a valuable resource. But to me the site will always stink of pogrom, and it is never far from my thoughts when I visit there. This is the first (and last) time I will speak publicly about it, but that is the real reason why I'm no longer an active member there yet still remain a strong advocate of shooting cast rifle bullets in every other venue I belong to. That is actually the main reason why I asked to have the "Off Topic" section removed years back when I became a mod here, so it would never become an issue at RLG. And I'm happy to say it never has.

j1
03-12-2014, 03:09 PM
V I never knew that you wrote and published. What have you written?

I was once warned and finally expelled from some board for trolling. I used to fish and trolled for miles. I said that I did not think that citizens had any need for fully automatic firearms. You do not have to agree with me but if you do not let me state my opinion I have no reason to go on that board.

versifier
03-12-2014, 06:20 PM
Three volumes of poetry (hence my netname) with another almost ready, two DVD's of poetry (one live, one in the studio), three textbooks on teaching writing skills to different ages, dozens of scifi/fantasy short stories (some on audio cd's) & one novel in progress, my first children's book that will be coming out within the next year when the illustrator finishes her paintings for it, a handful of technical articles (firearm and shooting related, two of which you can find through the GL Home Page), a volume of Q&A's about handloading and casting on various forums I belong to that's about 3/4 done, one workbook that I use with the handloading classes I teach, and I also ghost memoirs, speeches (non-political), announcements, and obits. I travel around the state when I can reading and teaching writing workshops in elementary through high school, and I read both prose and poetry at open mics and coffee houses promoting my books & DVD's. Last summer I was honored with an invitation to read at The Frost Place, Robert Frost's farm in Franconia, one of the high points of my career. I am the only person in the history of either organization to have been concurrently a member of the NH Poetry Society and a NH Hunter Ed instructor. Someone has to bring a dose of reality to those tree-hugging liberals. I like to do my part.

http://www.messageinabottlepoetrymagazine.com/issue-8.php Scroll down to "No More Nightmares Now"

PARA45
03-12-2014, 08:54 PM
Vers, please don't criticize my bad spelling and bad grammar, sometime I get confused between Spanish & English. Then J1 writes to me in Spanish, and oh heck, I forgot what I was writing about....LMAO!!!!!

versifier
03-12-2014, 10:59 PM
My job is to encourage and try to set a good example. No one speaks in formal English, mostly no one writes in it anymore either. How do you get a point across when the concept doesn't exist in English? We reach out to other languages to gain understanding and we bring back what we learn and find our own words for it, until that new idea becomes accepted into our common speech. That is the way all languages evolve over time, importing and exporting new ways of looking at things. Me, I wish I understood Spanish better. Or, more accurately I wish I could understand it (and French and Italian and German) when it is spoken at normal hyperfast(to me) speed. I can get most of it when spoken in slomo, or when written. Central American poet Pablo Flores is a friend, when he is reciting I can understand him perfectly, in conversation he speaks Spanish so fast all I can catch is an occasional word. Both my Italian and Irish ancestors gave up their languages when they came here as did most immigrants then, figuring the kids needed to learn English to integrate and succeed here. Three generations later, the scope of that loss is staggering for the way it has so severely limited the average monolingual American's view of the rest of the world. Heritage abandoned. To me, words are tools, and the more tools I have, the better bridges of communication I can build with them.

RiverRider
03-13-2014, 12:21 AM
Those are some interesting thoughts, vers.

There was a fellow named Tom Lea who was from El Paso. He was a gifted artist. He was also a writer of some note. He wrote a novel called The Wonderful Country which was about a young boy who ends up fleeing across the Rio Grande into Mexico because he thinks he has become an outlaw. He quickly leans Spanish and manages to find work and survive and eventually makes his way back into the US as a young man and learns that he never was a fugitive in the first place. Anyway, what's interesting is the style in which the book is written which I think is using speech and thought patterns of a Spanish speaker, but directly translated into English. Besides being a great story it is an interesting read just for the style employed. It goes along with what you are saying to some extent.

I had the pleasure of a very brief conversation with Tom Lea back in the early 90s. He was appreciative of my appreciation of that book.

j1
04-06-2014, 01:50 PM
V I am impressed at your accomplishments. From reloading to writing. You are a true rennaisance man.

I love language because it is interesting and different than english. The subtle uses of the subjunctive in spanish is one example. It is used when expressing doubt. Often when the word "if" is used in english. If we were in spain we would speak spanish better. This is why I B S with Oscar all of the time. Gotta meet that man someday.

He and his wife did the safari to Africa. I would not have thought of bringing my wife, but I never said that I was smart.

j1
04-10-2014, 06:06 PM
The mods on the high road. Who wants them? What are the rules? Who needs them? Not I. Good board otherwise.

j1
09-03-2014, 07:58 PM
I read and post on several sites.

j1
11-02-2014, 07:30 PM
V I got ejected from a site but cannot for the life of me remember which site it was. I stated that if anyone really felt that they needed a fully automatic rifle so badly they should join the army. I was warned that I was "trolling" whatever that is. I will not be muzzled like an animal so I repeated the post and sure enough I was thrown off the board. Anyplace I cannot state my opinions I do not want to be.

j1
12-17-2014, 02:28 PM
V do you know Picklehead from the other site. He has mentioned you several times.

[smilie=w: