PDA

View Full Version : Ruger SR9C

versifier
03-02-2014, 01:37 AM
I have to say, the more I shoot this pistol, the more I like it. I'm not a big 9mm fan. Never have been, never will be. About two years ago my shooting buddy bought one and it really impressed me, accuracy, comfort, adjustable sights, 10 & 17 shot mags. Not a lot of decent holster options just yet, but they're catching up. I bought one just like it almost a year ago, just passed its 1000rd mark. We shoot at 12" round gongs at 25 & 50yds and a 24" square at 100yds. No problem hitting any of them offhand with them.

I pinched a nerve in my neck two weeks ago, really messing with my right arm and hand. But, I really wanted to shoot, and the doctor is sitting on my shoulder shaking her finger at me saying "You better not shoot your rifles for a while!" Just lovely. Phone call the other day, he's got an hour or two let's go shoot! So I brought the Ruger with one 17rd mag and shot left handed unsupported with my right hand in my pocket. I have never shot lefty before, left hand, right eye. 25yd gong, 17 shots, 17 hits. Glad I only brought one mag. :mrgreen: Sure looked impressive but I probably couldn't do it twice if anyone was watching except my buddy. He laughed and tried it same way with his. Same thing. Looked even more impressive both of us doing it. Time was running short at that point so we quit while we were ahead. Nice to know what the weak side can do. I really have overlooked it. I'm realizing that there are a lot of things I don't do well with just my left hand. Fortunately shooting the pistol isn't one I have to worry about.

Mike in tx
03-02-2014, 01:58 PM
Everyone should at least try shooting with the weak hand. It might come in handy someday, including mexican shooting with 2 revolvers. LOL

elkhunter77
03-02-2014, 06:31 PM
Vers I have shot lots of 9 over the years, some duty and some not. I like 9's and really respect the firepower, especially with the hot loads. Mike is spot on about weak hand shooting. I and most others I know and train with practice it a lot. Not just for potential injury problems but sometimes tactically it might be necessary. Give it some thought, it can't hurt.

versifier
03-06-2014, 02:04 AM
I have no choice at the moment, but I am not opposed to doing a lot more of it because it was a lot of fun. It may be a while until I can shoot righty again, or a real rifle. We'll try it at 50 this week and see what happens. If my shooting last week was really not a fluke and I don't have to spend months learning new technique, I'll be very happy.

RiverRider
03-07-2014, 01:13 AM
Can't shoot righty?? WTH happened, vers?

versifier
03-07-2014, 02:02 AM
I think the T1/T2 disk blew out on one side and pinched a nerve that works my right arm. Typing lefty is not easy, I'm back to two fingers, bought some speech recognition software so I can write but haven't installed it yet. Hand tingly and shaky, I drop anything heavier than a mug of tea, spill shot glasses in my lap, and can't tie my own shoes. Waiting for MRI results. Either way it won't be good news, but since I can't do anything about it for now, I will enjoy doing things I still can.

I'm enjoying shooting lefty, but I'm forbidden real rifles and the repetitive motions of the loading presses until they know what's going on. Just as well, the tops of the longer distance target boards are under two feet of snow, but two gongs at 25 and one at 50 will keep me occupied. I have plenty of loaded handgun ammo.

RiverRider
03-07-2014, 02:06 AM
Well that really sucks. I've never had a REAL serious problem like that, but I've experienced some short term things that make you appreciate being whole. I hope they can fix you up good as new.

picklehead
03-07-2014, 02:33 AM
The 9mm impressed me the day that I missed my target.The 115 XTP bullet blowed a quarter size hole out the back side of a 5" yellow pine tree at about 25 yards hitting dead center.Never ran it across the chrony but pretty sure the charge was 6.5grns of Power Pistol.Thats what Lyman said was the best charge so I started at 6grns and it didn't kick nowhere near as the factory win junk loads so I quit at max charge.It was way more accurate at full house to.

I think that I should have tried to learn cast in a 38 or 357 before I jumped straight on the 9mm because I hear they are harder to load for but hey,why not start with the hardest.

Hitting gongs at 100 or 50 is a helluva lot better than I can do with the XTP'S and assuming your shooting cast.I can hit a milk jug at 50 to 70 but it takes me 10 to 15 shots to get in the groove.I damn sure cant do it on the first or fifth shot unless I get lucky.I think you are doing damn good.

versifier
03-07-2014, 02:38 AM
They will, I just don't like waiting. This is nerve pain and while it does suck, it's amateur stuff compared to how much the lumbar back hurts when the sciatic nerves get crushed (I have had that rebuilt twice, fused the last time, so far so good on that). It's just enough to distract, but I can usually ignore it when I have something else to concentrate on, like a good book or a good woman. I'm more aggravated than anything when I can't tie my own shoes or I have to pour two shots to get one inside me. If nothing else, the lefty practice will do me good. I like that idea of Mike's with the two revolvers, we have a m686 and a m27, both with 8 3/8 barrels. I will have to try that when the right hand is back online.