PDA

View Full Version : Colt 1851 Navy

dale clawson
05-23-2006, 02:29 PM
I bought this pistol in unfired condition at an auction cheap, as it would not unlock the cylinder. It is a second generation Colt and my#4 son, Dave wanted it as he thought it might increase in value. He found a gunsmith in Fl. who was qualified to repair it, and left it knowing there would be a long wait. When he checked on it almost a year later, he found that the fellow had passed away, and had quite a time getting the gun back. Upon finally recieving it, he found that the cylinder had been replaced with an obviously used cylinder. He lost interest in it and returned it to me. I found that the part of the cyl. lock bolt that engaged the hammer was broken, and ordered it from Brownell. Upon installing it , it still wouldn't unlock. After much taking it apart, I put the grip frame on, leaving the screws loose, and it worked! butwhen I tightened the screws, it wouldn"t. I finally determined that the grip frame needed a recess ground into it to give clearence for the bolt, easily done with a dremel tool. The next problem was the hammer would not move back far enough to engage the sear. A little file work remedied that, then I had to relieve the sides at the back of the hammer groove to prevent the hammer from sticking back. It now functions beautifully. It would appear that the gun came from the factory in this condition, and this would account for it being unfired. Another matching Colt there was obviously fired a lot, and the Ruger Old Army I bought at a steal there had been fired some. I really enjoy shooting the Old Army, and have molds for round balls and a 230 gr. round nose which can be a pain to load with its flat base. It also is has a tendency for the bullets to move and lock up the action under full house loading.

kg42
05-24-2006, 02:25 AM
What a pity the original cylinder got lost; it reminds me of that Canadian Tire mechanic who was going through the engine compartment of my car, pointing at the defective cylinder of the power steering..... Well it happened that this model didn't have power steering.....

I used to shoot mostly LEE's 190-200 grainers (SWC) in my Old Army, the RB's being soporific and the special conicals shooting in corners. Fit wasn't too tight with range lead but they didn't move on their own and they did shoot tight groups :). I would "boat-tail" the straight bullets with a file to help loading...

I also tried to chamfer the chambers, like on some italian replicas, but the steel on these guns is tough and I didn't have power assistance for that either...:) .

Have you tried beagling your mold (stick a bit of aluminum tape between the blocs), to fatten your bullets?

kg

dale clawson
05-24-2006, 06:44 AM
Kg42: I've hesitated about trying to increase the size due to the problem of starting them in the cylinder. Have used a RCBS deburring tool with the center post missing to chamfer the base some. My 190 and 200 gr. semi-wadcutter molds are 452 dia. so unless I pick up a 457 in one of those, I'm stuck with the 230rn. When my wife was in business college, I worked in a service station. A couple came late one day and wanted the oil changed while they attended a meeting a few doors down. I informed them I would be closing before their meeting adjourned, so they arranged to pay in advance and for me to park it outside and leave the key in it , as they had spare keys. He paid for oil and filter, but I discovered that the car didn't have a filter( optional on a 64 chevy). I remained open until they returned, about 45 min. past regular closing, to refund his money for the filter. He insisted that his car had a filter as his service station man at home always changed it. I told him if he would show it to me, I would change it. After searching thoroughly he told me to keep the money, and he was going to have a talk with his man, cause he had paid for a filter every time he had the oil changed for 2 years.

kg42
05-26-2006, 07:14 PM
Dale, the 452-200-SWC was my favorite; it is a rendition of the H&G 68; mine cast .453 from the range lead I shot in that gun ( same as the ACP to simplify "production" ).
Its bevel base must have been an asset and I figured the sharp shoulder would scrub the barrel at every shot. Still gave me some work at loading... I somewhat lost interest when I got my first 44 :).

kg

dale clawson
05-26-2006, 10:17 PM
kg42: I guess what I need to do is slug the bore and see what dia. bullet it will handle, it may not be necessary to go as large as 457 . A bevel base would be an asset in loading, may have to look for a new mold. I do get great accuracy with the 457 round ball, haven't really bench rested the 230 gr. to see how good it shoots. I want to take a deer with it this fall, 30 gr. of pyrodex gives pretty impressive effects on small game and heavy guage metal.

kg42
05-30-2006, 09:55 PM
Dale, my Old Army was .452 all along and .454 SWC bullets wouldn't bulge once in the cylinder; they were from a friend's old SAECO mold, range lead again.... and what an adventure loading them with their sharp plain bases :-D ... But even those who started loading askew in the cylinder would be accurate....

The Lee ACP/SWC molds I was refering to cast about .452 with pure lead, is that what you are using?
Don't be afraid to try range lead, it might hurt a bit more at loading but that brute of a gun won't mind :) .

kg

dale clawson
05-31-2006, 02:05 AM
Kg42: I had just read somewhere, hard to remember stuff around 2:00A,M., that the cyl bores on old armys were 452. I'll have to give some of my 45 boolits a try. Thanks for the input!