PDA

View Full Version : Prarie dogs with 243

dale clawson
05-22-2006, 04:04 AM
Finally got back to shoot some dogs, today. Started out with the 223, the scope had wandered a bit, took 5 or 6 shots to bring it to taw. Once on I was ringing their bell with satisfying regularity, this with a rossi break open. Then I switched to my Savage 243 as it hasn't seen much use since I got my 222. Our coyote numbers are way down due to an outbreak of red mange, it has really done them some damage. Hairless coyotes with huge scabs are butt ugly. I shot the 243 prone, sitting and offhand, depending on the range.Keeps me in practice for deer season. was using 80gr. Speer condums. shot one jackrabbit running at about 75 yds. Fired 85 rounds total in about three hours before the wind came up. Could have had more shooting if I had moved , but we are concentrating on the ones that have moved into the field, so I did some waiting between shots. Needed a spotter with the 243, as the recoil was giving me trouble seeing where I was hitting.

Toney
05-22-2006, 08:39 PM
I realy like our new 243, think i messed up telling Connie it was hers. Dillon and i was planning a trip to the woods and Connie tells me we ain't taking her rifle out!!!
Have you tryed any fmj, thinking about them for fall turkey

versifier
05-22-2006, 10:50 PM
Time to get creative Toney....
It's got to be broken in first so it feeds properly this deer season for her. :-D
Got to be sure you've worked up the most accurate load. :-D
The bullets need an expansion test. :-D
Don't you know that the barrel of a new gun has to be broken in? It might take several thousand rounds. :mrgreen:

dale clawson
06-11-2006, 02:19 AM
Toney why not try some cast bullets for turkeys. WW would be about right at about 1750 fps, works for me, as well as on prarie dogs out to 150 yds.

1Shirt
03-03-2009, 05:10 PM
243 works great for p-dogs, only problem with it is that due to recoil you seldom see the kill in the scope like you do with smaller cals like hornet,bee,222,223,etc.
Part of the fun of shooting the little critters is seeing the kill in the scope, or at least it is to me. I kind of like the 58-60 gr. for dogs, but for a lot of years, I shot the 87 gr BTHP out of 243 for everything from p-dogs to deer and it did a most creditable job.
1Shirt!:coffee:

missionary5155
04-10-2009, 10:35 AM
Good morning
My 788 .243 is my prime coyote tool. It is deadly out to 250 yards. The only dogs we have up NORTH there in eastern Illinois are those who get lost out in the woods or wander the river bottoms. Some can be right testy and loose the right to vote real fast. A 75 grain hollowpoint at 3200 fps ends the conversation with right fast.
Mike in Peru
HE is Risen