PDA

View Full Version : Glock problems

j1
02-09-2014, 02:01 PM
Are Glocks really more dangerous?

DrHenley
02-09-2014, 02:34 PM
GLS (Glock Leg Syndrome) can be fatal. The secretary at work was a friend of the family:
http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/2013/11/19/2809256/coroner-phenix-city-officer-died.html

RiverRider
02-11-2014, 12:00 AM
I'm not sure whether I believe they're actually more dangerous or you hear more about accidental self shootings with them because they're so danged prevalent. I know I prefer an XD, in part because of the way it feels in my hand and in part because of the grip safety the XD has. It also has loaded chamber and cocked indicators.

Clayt
02-11-2014, 02:36 AM
Glocks are as safe as the hand that holds them. Just like any other quality firearm. You'll know if you "trust'm" in the 1st 5 mins of handling and shooting one. If you don't feel comfortable there are MANY that are of similar shape only a bit differently designed action.

PS--- I like Glocks. I have used and abused one for 20 years. I think of it as the most intuitive point and click device I've ever owned.

~Clayt

DrHenley
02-14-2014, 12:56 PM
GLS (Glock Leg Syndrome) is real and was fatal for a policeman here a few months ago. Phenix City Police Sgt. Daniel V. Davis died on Nov. 10 after suffering massive blood loss. He accidentally shot himself in the leg, severing the femoral artery and bled out before the ambulance arrived.
Phenix City is the sister city of Columbus, Ga, just across the Chattahoochee River.

The Phenix City Police Dept. uses the 40 S&W Glock 22.

A google search of "glocked himself":
https://www.google.com/search?q=glock+yourself&oq=glock+yourself&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l2.3107j0j9&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8#q=glocked+himself

j1
02-14-2014, 01:54 PM
The problem with the Glocks seems to be the lighter than average trigger pull. If I recall correctly the
N Y C and Chicago police departments changed the triggers on their Glocks to a heavier pull.

versifier
02-14-2014, 05:25 PM
Never draw with your finger in the trigger guard. Failure to learn basic safety lesson: Natural Selection.

DrHenley
02-14-2014, 10:00 PM
Some of the best documented cases of GLS were while holstering. The trigger caught on a fold of clothing or edge of the holster.

versifier
02-15-2014, 04:58 PM
"Always pay attention when holstering" was like a reinforcement of "Pay attention when you zip up your fly."

But I hear what you're saying.

Doing things the same ways that were always safe to do with a revolver are downright dangerous with a Glock. Looking at the reports, clearly it is often complacency that kills, experienced people who should know better feel that they don't need weapon specific training when they switch to a Glock. And sometimes it takes years for karma to catch up, but sooner or later they the ones end up shooting the ends off their winkies or their legs, (or someone else's leg, or winky, etc) and of course it's all the Glock's fault.

Like anything else though, all it takes is awareness and practice to be safe. Complacency results in statistics. I carry both a revolver and a Glock, never had an accidental discharge, all body parts more or less intact. If you don't practice, you fumble under stress and make stupid mistakes. If anything, practice with the Glock makes me more aware when drawing and holstering the revolver, never a bad thing.

What would happen if firearms manufacturers started suing those who did stupid things with their products, damaging their good name? Likewise felons using their guns, too? Journalists sensationalizing it? "Your inappropriate and irresponsible use of our product and the subsequent national exposure by the news media has damaged our professional reputation resulting in a demonstrable loss of sales of $Mil per month since the incident. Sales figures attached."

RiverRider
02-15-2014, 06:36 PM
+1

"I-already-know-everything-I-need-to-know" attitudes are dangerous, and sadly they are very prevalent. A perfect example is when you try to convey the idea to folks bent on using a 1911 for concealed carry that they'd best engage in some very intensive training so that they will operate the safety instinctively. That advice is almost universally ignored in forums.

It's funny how ignorance and downright stupidity go on naked display wherever there's a gun counter or a 1969 Chevelle SS 396 with the hood up.

DrHenley
02-15-2014, 07:53 PM
Before participating in IDPA, I carried a Charter Bulldog. It was only after a couple of years of IDPA matches that I felt competent enough with a 1911 to carry one every day.

The first year of IDPA was quite a revelation! After decades of target shooting from a stance, I never dreamed how FAST I could miss a man sized target 7 yards away LOL!

Or how easy it is to not seat the mag completely when under pressure and have it drop out of the bottom of the gun on the first shot.

Or how easy it is to not watch where my muzzle is pointing.

Or how easy it is to forget to take off the safety.

Or how easy it is to jam a gun that never jams at the range.

Or how slow a slide moves in cold weather when you have too much grease on it.

RiverRider
02-15-2014, 08:19 PM
Yep. You can lay that first-hand experience on the table for all to see but there are still knotheads aplenty out there.

I've owned five different 1911s that I can recall and never had a bit of trouble shooting them---although I never could shoot my P-13 as well as any of the others. But being honest with yourself requires a touch of humility, and I guess that's something that will get hammered into you as you mature (I think this has happened to me over the years)...but I recognize that if I choose to carry my 1911, I am taking unnecessary risk. That's why I always carry a CW40 and/or an XD40. I think even those with little experience at all will never forget to point the gun and pull the trigger. These pistols are as simple to operate as a DA revolver. A 1911 requires more than a DA revolver or the semi-auto pistols that operate like them.

One day and hopefully soon I will hop back into handgun shooting with a bit of fervor and get myself back up to the level where I once was. I have a Springfield Range Officer that is a sweet shooter, just got it late last fall, and I want to get very, very proficient with it. I intend to drill enough that I can safely and competently carry a 1911 on a daily basis.

j1
02-19-2014, 03:43 PM
I am getting nervous, for reason, about my Glock. Think I am going to shoot up my 40 S & W ammo sell my Glock and buy a Sig in 9 mm. I have enough things wrong with me do not really need or want a hole in my leg.

Hellrazor
02-19-2014, 11:35 PM
Hah. We made j1 paranoid. I will give you $5 for the Glock.

RiverRider
02-20-2014, 01:54 AM
Geeze, John. Now look what you did, you got Hellrazor slobberin' all over hisself.

Honestly, I think you'll be fine with your Glock. You're obviously far more concerned with the safety of handling it than most folks. But if you really have negative feelings about the Glock, give the XD a look. It's got several safety features that are absent on a Glock, and if you've never handled one you may be surprised at the feel of it. I know it feels way better to me than a Glock does (and I'm really NOT a Glock basher!) and I believe it may be more accurate to boot...at least that's what the guys at the last concealed carry school seem to think based on how they see folks shooting (they say that folks who shoot XDs seem to turn in the best targets). Also consider the added complexity of a manual safety. Manual safeties require training whether they are on a Sig or a 1911 if you want to be truly competent with the gun.

Just my 2 cents, old friend.

Clayt
02-20-2014, 01:07 PM
Hah. We made j1 paranoid. I will give you $5 for the Glock.

That's not right!! I'll give you $6!!

mmax
02-20-2014, 04:07 PM
Now what need would a French Model have for a Glock....I'll give $7

versifier
02-20-2014, 04:34 PM
Safer than one of these:245

Hellrazor
02-20-2014, 09:48 PM
No slobbering here. If I can get a Glock for under $10 I might just own one. For semis I have a S&W 9, XD 45 & XDM 40.

RiverRider
02-20-2014, 11:16 PM
I'll go $8.50!

Hellrazor
02-21-2014, 09:19 PM
ok ok $8.75

Getting too damn close to my $10 max...

RiverRider
02-21-2014, 11:42 PM
So, John...are we getting your attention and interest with this bidding war?

SkyKid
02-22-2014, 12:06 AM
Ok OK $8.95 and that's my final offer

j1
02-22-2014, 02:53 PM
You know I have bought lots of guns and shot them very little. Gotta get out the Glock and a box of ammo and see if we are friends. I remember that it is really light. 9 plus 1. That ought to do the job.

Hey Sky that and a Sig 226 and we have a deal. I'll even pay the shipping.

Hellrazor
02-22-2014, 09:32 PM
Ok, how about $8.99 and a picture of a sig 226.

RiverRider
02-23-2014, 05:48 AM
Hey, ya know that's not really a bad offer John. How dangerous could a picture of a P226 be? ;)

Hellrazor
02-23-2014, 12:38 PM
And look at the bright side. No worry about a bullet or ammo shortage.. :twisted:

versifier
02-23-2014, 03:51 PM
Hey, ya know that's not really a bad offer John. How dangerous could a picture of a P226 be? ;)

That depends on how close to Massachusetts you happen to be. I'd post the picture at the border and keep my Glock. :mrgreen:

j1
02-24-2014, 04:13 PM
I really like my mod 60. No safety. No light trigger pull till you cock it. Only possible negative is are five shots enough in a home invasion situation? I am old and like well tried guns. It was good enough for the detectives of the N Y C P D detectives for a lot of years. It is good enough for me.

I like this site there are lots of interesting and humerous people on here. Y'all are a good bunch of guys, really.

j1
02-27-2014, 10:04 PM
Got my Glock and handled it a lot. Checked and found out how to field strip it. Now if it ever stops snowing I am ready. Gotta get a really good holster. It holds 9 & 1 of 40 S & W. nice light small poweful gun.

j1
02-28-2014, 03:25 PM
In gunstores watch the lack of proper gun safety often exhibited by salespeople AND customers.

You can like the U S army or hate the army but they knew proper range safety. Shame that they told me to chew on a cleaning patch and stick it in my ear while shooting big bore rifle. Now every new recruit is fitted for ear plugs.

j1
02-28-2014, 03:45 PM
Wanted an excellent and safe holster for a Glock model 27.

Got a Galco. It seems pretty good so far. I stll like revolvers better. Now if I could only find one with a lock built right in. If I do not get shot in a gun store I may live a long time. Heck I already lived a long time. Think of all my horses and dogs I outlived. Wowser.

Hellrazor
02-28-2014, 09:31 PM
In gunstores watch the lack of proper gun safety often exhibited by salespeople AND customers.

Yea that is always interesting.

I walked out of a shop when the guy behind the counter pulled a semi from the case, didn't open the action and handed it to me muzzle first. I wasn't happy and he knew it quickly.

I told some moron I would shove the rifle up his ass if he pointed towards me or anyone else to look through the scope again. He was standing behind people and looking through the scope while pointing it at the back of their head. He started to argue about it and the owner threw him out of the store.

j1
03-02-2014, 02:34 PM
Another thing which makes me nervous is going to the public range. Good place to get shot. The world unfortunately is FULL of fools. Usually I shoot alone or with company here on the farm. No fools here but me, and I know and like me.

j1
03-04-2014, 05:34 PM
Heck my local gun shop offered me $300 yesterday.

j1
03-07-2014, 06:01 PM
My father died without getting senile. May he R I P. I hope I never get senile also. I am here to learn and like to learn. The S & W model 60 is my buddy. I know it well. Gotta make the Glock my buddy too. Your buddy would never shoot you in the leg.

j1
03-10-2014, 03:51 PM
Glocks are good guns. Light powerful enough capacity no damned safety and no built in lock. The 27 is great. Mine is made out of solid plastic too. Nothing to rust like on those damned Smith & Wessons. Are you having fun yet? I am. Lots of ice melted and got chopped. Gonna do some shooting before it snows again.

j1
03-10-2014, 03:59 PM
Hey v that's not a 1939 is it?

elkhunter77
03-11-2014, 10:38 PM
We have a gun store in Grand Junction, about an hour and a half away from me where a clerk got shot. Seems clerk was on phone and customer brought in a 243 that he wanted to trade. He touched off a shot and it hit the clerk in the gut. He survived but has been very sick with it for over a year.

j1
03-12-2014, 02:51 PM
At least the owner of my LGS almost jumped on me when I showd my Glock. Iremoved the magazine which was unloaded and he took my pistol and racked the slide several times before handing it back to me along with the Galco holster I was buying. By the way I informed him that I was carrying and was going to draw my pistol. He has to err on the side of safety. Good for him, and me too. The Galco seems nice so far.

Well I have been carrying for about two weeks and I can see how shooting yourself in the leg is easily done with the Glock. I (after reading some info on the experiences of the Washington police department and comment by Doc Henley) can visualize the accident occurring. Extreme care in holstering is required.

j1
04-09-2014, 02:06 PM
Well after several weeks of carrying I came to a conclusion. Remove the holster and place the pistol in the holster, THEN put the holster containing the pistol on my belt. Slow but safe. Safe is better than fast. The pistol draws fast and that is what may count someday.

j1
05-26-2014, 01:48 PM
New York trigger pull spring increases trigger pull from 5.5 to 11 pounds. :-P

j1
07-12-2014, 11:55 AM
In my limited experience the problem with Glocks lies in getting the proper holster.

Hellrazor
07-12-2014, 02:46 PM
In my limited experience the problem with Glocks lies in buying a glock in the first place.

I fixed the quote :)

SkyKid
07-12-2014, 04:26 PM
[smilie=l:

versifier
07-14-2014, 03:24 PM
I have always found Glocks and Bianchi holsters to be a good match. I like their military holster for my full sized G21 and the Accumold paddle holster I had for my smaller G23 and concealed carry was great in the car, cant angle easily adjustable to be strong or weak side and even crossdraw. No belt holster is really comfortable or easy to access quickly if you have an excess of midriff, then you're better off with a shoulder rig if you can find a comfortable one that's made for the model you want to carry.

j1
08-17-2014, 01:46 PM
What if you have fat shoulders too? How about an ankle rig?