PDA

View Full Version : new here

gooser
05-21-2006, 04:02 PM
Hi folks I'm new to this site,I've been on several others and enjoy the wealth of information shared by all.

Toney
05-21-2006, 07:35 PM
Welcome to the guide Gooser!!!

Gunload Master
05-22-2006, 02:06 AM
Good to have you aboard Gooser!

d-o-k
05-22-2006, 05:52 AM
Welcome to the Guide Gooser Great mob of Blokes Here !

Dave

dale clawson
05-23-2006, 01:45 PM
Welcome Gooser: What do you shoot, hunt, reload?
Dale

kodiak1
05-26-2006, 04:13 AM
Hello Gooser. Greetings from Canada. This is a good sight a little slow at times but it is growing and you get real good responses to your questions the people here are great. Ken

klausg
05-26-2006, 07:46 PM
Gooser- welcome on board; great bunch of guys read this one & the other CB side. All of them have managed to answer my questions; a lot of reallly good information gets put out here. Anyway nice to have you aboard, take care.

-SSG Klaus

gooser
05-28-2006, 05:54 PM
thanks guys, I'm glad to be here.
Dale- I hunt mostly waterfowl,deer,varmits,preditors....etc,ect......g et the idea? lol, I shoot several different guns and reload for 30-06, .223, 7mm mauser.

kg42
05-28-2006, 08:22 PM
thanks guys, I'm glad to be here.
Dale- I hunt mostly waterfowl,deer,varmits,preditors....etc,ect......g et the idea? lol, I shoot several different guns and reload for 30-06, .223, 7mm mauser.

What...?! No handgun, no casting? You know it's going to become mandatory for every member under the GunLoads bill ;)?

kg

Baldy
06-06-2006, 02:57 AM
Welcome Gooser.:mrgreen: I see you are from Michigan. We lived there for a short while in the southern part of the state. We couldn't hunt with rifles. We had to use shot guns. From the list of your gun you must be in up state. There sure is some great looking deer up there. Ours down here in Florida don't get much bigger than old farm dog. Hogs are the big game animal in our area.
Enjoy the form. Some good fellows here.

gooser
06-13-2006, 12:01 AM
Oh ya, handguns too......357 mag, 38spl, 44 black powder, 41 black powder, 22 ruger mark II. I enjoy shooting my handguns but I don't reload for them.

Thin Man
06-16-2006, 10:54 AM
Hi gooser and welcome. I'm new to this forum too, but have really enjoyed being here. Gonna stick around a while. You really gotta look into reloading for the handguns. Shooting them will move into a new dimension - you can shoot cheaper, with loads that are not readily available (or at all), in greater volume, and can tailor the load to the specific firearm. This makes sweet music at the range and can only enhance your experiences in shooting. I got married in 1970 and got my first press (RCBS JR) that same year. Liked both hobbies and am still busy with both. Had to buy cast boolits for the first 3 years, then bought a used Lyman pot, several molds and a sizer all in a package. Have been casting pistol boolits since then. In spite of all that time casting and shooting, this site ahs advanced my knowledge and skills a couple of notches above where I was even a year ago. A note of caution - beware of the Group Buys! A guy can go broke real fast by lusting over those offerings. Glad to have you here.

d-o-k
06-16-2006, 11:33 AM
G'day Thin Man, welcome to the site.

Dave

ancestor
07-16-2006, 09:48 PM
I'm new at this. Do a bit of loading in 375 mag. bit long in wot teeth I have left,and bones creak. Still manage to get out and creep around.mostly rain forest and alpine.Here Reds, Chamois,and Tahr.Duck and geese.

d-o-k
07-17-2006, 03:34 AM
I'm new at this. Do a bit of loading in 375 mag. bit long in wot teeth I have left,and bones creak. Still manage to get out and creep around.mostly rain forest and alpine.Here Reds, Chamois,and Tahr.Duck and geese.

G'day Mate ! I'm across the Creek from you in South Australia ! Good to see a Kiwi on site ! I know where your comming from with the creaking bones ! But hey us Old Blokes are like a good wine ......we've matured with age ! You from the North or from the South Island?

Dave

ancestor
07-17-2006, 04:04 AM
South Island west coast. Have hunted over lot of N.Z.
Great to meet keep the old bones a creaking and the eye sharp

Baldy
07-19-2006, 02:54 AM
Here passing for a few days and some new guys. Well welcome to all.[smilie=w:

Baldy
07-19-2006, 02:59 AM
Dave I can't seem to catch anybody up on the chat. I left it on almost all day and I heard nobody. I am doing something wrong, I am sure. Oh well that's me to a tee. I take my meds and I am in my own little world.

Gunload Master
07-19-2006, 03:32 AM
A warm welcome to all new members! Enjoy your stay and dont be afraid to participate!

ancestor
07-20-2006, 12:07 AM
Have been down to Stewart Is, at the bottom of N.Z. White tail deer were liberated by some forward thiking people probably 100 years ago. Any how it was blowing 50 knots+horizontal rain couldnot get inflatable ashore had to watch the little blighters eating seaweed on the shore.Is this normal for these fellows or is it a bad habit they have picked up overhere:

versifier
07-20-2006, 03:10 PM
It is normal for them. It is not an unusual sight to see them along the New England coast at low tide or after a storm. Seaweed is and incredibly rich source of minerals for them, great to build bones and antlers. Bears also will eat it as will domestic livestock when there is access.

ancestor
07-21-2006, 01:54 AM
Many thanks Versifier,Hope the weather is a little kinder next trip. Will work close to shoreline.

d-o-k
07-27-2006, 10:49 AM
Have been down to Stewart Is, at the bottom of N.Z. White tail deer were liberated by some forward thiking people probably 100 years ago. Any how it was blowing 50 knots+horizontal rain couldnot get inflatable ashore had to watch the little blighters eating seaweed on the shore.Is this normal for these fellows or is it a bad habit they have picked up overhere:

I haven't Heard of Stewart Island in years [smilie=2: Couple of Mates of mine hunted it back in the late 60s as meat shooters! They damned near died there due to the foul weather ! They couldn't get resupplied or get their deer off the island for about a month! They reckon it's the place that Wind was invented !

I know this is off topic but do you still have the Forrestry dept Goat & rabbit control shooters over there ? I know that the Old deer cullers finnished up years ago (almost came across to take up a position with the forrestries dept myself but backed out at the last min prefering to take a position on the Dog Fence over here for a couple of years ! All seems like a 100yrs ago now but I sometimes wnder if I should of taken the post your side of the creek

Dave

ancestor
07-28-2006, 03:38 AM
Dave Hi, The old forestry was taken over by the dept of conservation which is run by the greenies headed by a green politician and a bunch of academics on top floor, whose only ambition seems is to rid the country of all introduced species. They drop 1080 poision by the ton(it is so toxic it has been banned just about everywhere in the world) and basically destroyed the old infrastructure which worked so well.A real good one is modern goat hunting;catch a billy and put a radio collar on him.wait untill he geta a herd and go in and try to shooty them.Only problem is the goats are better at at geography and go through to a new range out of listening distance. We shot a mob of them and handed the collar in to be thanked as it was another of their lost souls.Miles from where it was supposed to be.
There is still some rabbit shooting but the colese virus has slowed it down.There are rumours that the numbers are coming back. They Butcher the tahr with shotguns from helicopters in the national park.Considering tahr live above the snow line they dont do any one real harm and it is only hunters which put in the effort to climb up and get them it seems a waste to me. Any how enough of the misery there is still plenty of game around and we can shoot all year round so it is not all gloom and doom.
On Stewart I's; well it is bordering the southern ocean and it blows a bit roaring fourties and all that,We had a 3month odessy with fishing rods and rifles down around the fiords and the islands surfing offthe southern ocean waves in fovaux so can't complain though longer would have been better. If you are ever over this way we should be able to jack up something.
regards graham.

d-o-k
07-28-2006, 06:37 AM
We have the same problem over here ! The dept of National parks & wild life became the dept of Heritage & conservation ! We've got Kids running the section that concerns us Pro shooters who were still in nappies when I'd shot my 1/2 million in Roos ! But they have the Book learning to tell me how many tags I'm allowed at any set time now ! We spend our spare time toying with ways of messing with their minds esp when they decide to come out & audit us of a night ! They don't seem to realise that most of us work right out bush & have the devils own tme finding us ! Most of our Goat culling has been handed over to the Sporting shooters these days! But I'm still getting the occasional contract . Bloody "1080" Whilst I admit it's a step up from strychnine & I've used it for "stiffening" Dogs for years ! It's still a evil drop ! Old blokes always tell of how a crow if it picks up a Bait will try & poision humans by dropping it in to a water supply ! Whilst a crow will do this, it is so they can wash the 1080 out of the meat! They have to be one of the only animals/birds that can't be poisioned! The new methord that is being tried over here for baiting is Pure cocaine this causes the animal to go into rapid Hypitermia resulting in death !

Dave

ancestor
07-28-2006, 09:20 PM
Dave if they try cocain over here they would take a fair proportion of the human population not the animals.I could emvisage the junkies following the poison layers into the bush maybe they would dissapear for ever.May be the greenies have set you up to get their fix.I have heard that crows are clever,do you cull them? The old deer cullers shot deer by the thousands ,then the professional meat hunters took over using helicopters and cleaned out thousands more,once the govt started the 1080 they had ban the wild meat in case they poisoned the European customers.All venison from here is now farmed.It is not the same as the wild,which we eat.I understand where you are coming from from re the audits it is the modern beaurocrat's way of justifying there existence.Still we still manage to get s shot away now and then. Good Hunting May your eye be true
Graham

d-o-k
07-29-2006, 02:19 PM
I would love for any of our tree hugging junky mates to take one of the new baits as they are pure & would /will stiffen a human as fast as a Dog ,or a goat ! WE shoot crows out of hand over here due to the damage they do to our lamb crop ! as well as foxes ! My brother loses 20% of his crop each season to natural causes & so I'm kind of called in to do what I do best as I live on our Farm (small station ) I have a 220 swift that is just set up for ruining a Crows day! When I applied for the forrestry positon over your side of the creek itwas right at the end of the Gov culling of Deer . The whole deer farming thing was tried over here & I feel somebody made a quid out of it but it were'nt the farmers ! We have several herds of Fallow wandering round the state these days including one up the back of our place ! They come under the heading of Feral & so they are fair game to shooters . They have no commercial value to me so are of very little intrest apart from meat for the Freezer

Dave

ancestor
07-30-2006, 12:38 AM
220 Swift gee thats going back a bit! There would not be many 22's around today any better. there was some muttering over here in my youth about them being a bit hard on barrels. Have you found this?.Do load it yourself? I toyed with the idea of a222 a few years ago for flat shooting on the tops but gave the idea away in favour of 300mag I guess i am the old school believes in bullet weight Graham

versifier
07-30-2006, 02:51 AM
Graham,
Like the .22-250, the .220Swift only eats barrels if you load to max. Anyone can cook a barrel quickly that way. If you load in the middle of the pressure range, you will double or triple the life of your barrel. In general, that's also where you find your most accurate loads with both rounds. Personally, I'll give up a few hundred feet per second to hit golf balls at 400yds. :)

d-o-k
07-30-2006, 04:00 AM
Graham as Versifier says yes you can eat a barrel out in the swift if your not carefull ! In my misspent youth I once burned the throat out of a Sprinter barrel in my Swift in just over 500 rnds (driving a 40 gn pill at a little over 4000fps to prove it could be done ) The Barrel smith I delt with (long gone but his son now runs the show ) Damned near killed me when I took the rifle in to be rebarreled a month after he'd fitted the new barrel ! )
If you keep your loads down to reasonable verlosities . 5/6000 rnds is possible before any signs of wear & tear! I once fell eyre to a .224 improved (22-303 ) that had the neck sharpened form 60deg to 45 deg ! It was built on a Pat 14 action.
The rifle came with the advise of one load! Using a 52 gn bullet !!!!! (warning bells should have started to ring ) At 400yrds it would explode Crows ! I hit a Rabbit at 150 one night & it was blown into 3 peices (one of wich was inside out ) ! It was just too much hassel so I sold it to a mate ! He asked ,what it was the equivilent of? I made enquires with the origanal owner who muttered something about it being like a swift !!!!!!! (warning bells ringing now & sirens & flashing lights ) I passed this info off to the new owner ! In the comfort of the fact he was a competant reloader ect
I got the phone call that you never want to recive The New owner had taken the said load & with out reduceing it (thinkng that it would be mild comming from a "Enfield" action & forgeting the PAT 14 is a enfield in name only ) Had used the load in his Swift !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:shock:
It had taken several Blows with a Hammer to open the action& to the best of my knowlage there is still a reward offered to any one can find the primer from the fired case !!!!!!!!!!!!! AS the chap reckons it just was'nt there anymore!!!!! On asking the origanal owner how he came upon this load it was a case of just loading until the primer was backing out of the case& then backing off 1/2 a grain until he could extract the round ! Which also explained my only getting 4/5 loads out of a case & thinking I had better get the headspace checked !

Dave

ancestor
07-31-2006, 04:25 AM
Versifier Thanks ; I could not hit a golf ball at 100yds let alone 400. I would have to see the ruddy thing first.Take your point about loading for accuracy above velocity.I found with the 375 The old nitro express stuff by H&H grouped better than the more modern loads.Also the 270 grain and the 300 grain had almost the same point of impact out to about 200yds.
I am loading 270 grain Hornady round nose s.p. for the bush and 300 grain SPBT for the more open work.Am near the same point of impact at 2700fpsfor 270gn and 2530 for the 300gn Which is not far from H&H original.:coffee:

ancestor
07-31-2006, 04:51 AM
Dave, Did not see the primer over here!! could be in South America Or Antartica! As you know your Aussie Possums are eating us out of house and home over here,Well I had been Waiting for a stag on the bush edge one evening, the stag never turned up but a squalling pussum came grizzling down the track and I let drive with the 375 at about 25yds.We found a bit of skin and a couple of feet and a hole in the ground so I get a fair Idea where you are coming from.
Getting ammo is a real pain over this side of the alps and I will probably have to consider loading 300 Win Mag. These shells have a very short neck. Do you see aproblem with this. I have Norma brass and are considering using Lee neck sizing and factory crimp, collet dies.I would value your input on this one. The rifle is a Brno.We have a magpie problem over here they are cunning enough for me,the crows must be something else.I used to shoot Fallow in my mispent youth and really liked it .You are lucky to have a herd.
May the eye always be true good hunting Graham:coffee:

d-o-k
07-31-2006, 07:10 AM
Graham the .300win is a dear old friend of mine (as is the 375 H&H of which a Old 601 Bruno still haunts my safe) Don't let those short necks scare you with reloading for it ! Reloading really opens up the scope of the range of uses for the .300 !

ADI's AR 2213SC & AR2209 work well in the 300 Win mag & I love AR2209 in the 375 with AR2206H being ideal for reduced loads in both rounds ! The formula being
Take the max listed load for a bullet weight listed with AR2206H & multiply it by 60% & the result is the reduced load ! (great for cast bullets )

Dave

versifier
07-31-2006, 02:48 PM
Go for the Lee Collet & FC dies. I have yet to see them fail to improve accuracy in ant chambering I have tried them with. Heavy loads in magnum cases have a reputation for stretching case webs and resulting short case life (head separations), some complaining of only two or three loadings. But again, like with the Swift, I believe loading down in the middle of the pressure curve will give you many more loadings, better accuracy, and longer barrel life.

ancestor
08-01-2006, 03:25 AM
Dave/Versifier,
Many thanks, I am using A.D.I. AR2209 in 375 and find results very uniform.Use78grn in300grn and 81.1 grn in 270 grn bullets.I figure using 180 grn bullets in the 300 and figure using AR2209 in this.Will save on having to use different powders. 180 grain may not be the ideal choice,but I figure it will shoot flat enough for the ranges I confine myself to.
Dave do you find much variation in different batch lots in A.D.I. Why I ask is I got a new lot and the supplier supplied match primers which upped the velocity 50ft/sec and very uniform. Not worried but wonder? Whether it be powder or primers.Latest news this am, Dept of conservation wants to wage unrestricted warfare on Canada geese,and is muttering about having no restrictions on shooting.In most places they can be hunted for 8 months of the year anyhow.They are also thinking of adding Plovers and Paradise Ducks to this in some areas. It seems Aeroplanes are scared of the Plovers. the mind boggles. Good Hunting And may the eye be tru Graham:coffee:

d-o-k
08-01-2006, 08:24 AM
I must admit I'm very pleased with the ADI lne up of Powders back when we had a sready supply of imported Powders I did'nt give Mulwex as they were known, much of a look in . Once I started using them though I 've found them to be very uniform from Batch to batch! Also they are very tempriture tolorent ! I can load up a batch in winter & use them in summer with no pressure differances ! I reckon the 180gn is a great choice for the 300 Win when you have a 375 lurking in the back of the safe .For heavier work ! I have always pondered the idea of a 300 & 375 H&H at the same time but it has yet to happen!

Dave

ancestor
08-03-2006, 12:20 AM
Versifier /Dave , thanks for advice. I have not been able to spot any sign of head separation, but am not sure how this would show . I have to trim a slight shaving off winchester cases at each reload but all other measurements seem Ok with a vernier, though I prefer feel with a light caliper. Still the brass has to come from somewhere. The book says to look for a shiny zone just forward of the belt ,this I have not seen yet.I wonder if the Lee collet crimp tends to cause this elongation which is very small. I am up to 10 reloads in some 375, should I toss these.Graham.:coffee:

versifier
08-03-2006, 02:50 AM
Graham, if you're getting ten reloads out of magnum cases, it seems to me that you are obviously not pushing the pressure. But I do have one question: you said you "trim a slight shaving" at each reload. Are the cases reaching and/or exceeding their maximum length (2.850" for the .375H&H), or are you just returning them to their "trim-to" length of 2.840" without having reached or exceeded the maximum? Conventional wisdom says to scrap the cases after five trimmings, but this assumes you are taking .01" or more off each time you trim, i.e. they really need trimming because they are getting difficult to chamber. The way you phrased it makes me wonder (but considering that if we were talking face to face we probably would barely understand each other's accents :mrgreen:), so I want to be sure I understand exactly what you meant.

The way I was taught to spot an incipient head separation is to take a 6-8" length of thin steel wire and put a right angle bend 1/4" from one end. Stick the bent end into the case and use the point to feel the inside surface of the case down near the head. If you feel a bump or groove on the inside of the case wall from thinning that is not obvious from the outside, toss the batch of cases. The .303 Brit case is famous for this, (that's how I learned about it), but magnum shooters also use it to make sure their cases are OK.

d-o-k
08-03-2006, 09:52 AM
The way I was taught to spot an incipient head separation is to take a 6-8" length of thin steel wire and put a right angle bend 1/4" from one end. Stick the bent end into the case and use the point to feel the inside surface of the case down near the head. If you feel a bump or groove on the inside of the case wall from thinning that is not obvious from the outside, toss the batch of cases. The .303 Brit case is famous for this, (that's how I learned about it), but magnum shooters also use it to make sure their cases are OK.

Hell I did'nt think anyone did that anymore ! I've mentined it to shooters over here & they look at you blankly ! I learnt the same way !:-D

Dave

ancestor
08-04-2006, 09:36 PM
Dave / Versifier, I trim cases at 2.843 where the trimmer gauge is set. I checked the wire method and also cut one case down the middle. all is well So I figure if I keep to about 8 loads and check all cases with the wire that should be Ok.Would you agree with this. Any thing which feels suspicious I will cut and look.Most of the large capacity british cartridges are fairly mild in the pressure area is my understanding,and the 375 is in this bracket; the 300 will be something else and I have no intention of pushing any where near the limit. Dave; My son has a nice Westley Richards 303 built on a longtom action and proved for Mk7, I used it a lot in my youth. The S.M.L.E. was the standard issued to the cullers,and most of the real big tally men used this rifle exclusively in the early days.I guess if you look at it the 30 06 and the 303 would have accounted for more game than any other caliber.Many thanks for your help and may your hunting days be many and the shooting eye's true. graham:coffee:

klausg
08-04-2006, 10:10 PM
Graham- I'm not familiar with the ADI powders, so I'm not sure how hot you're loading, however your game plan sounds about right. I shoot an H&H also and I have some Federal brass that is on the 10th loading and no problems so far. Of course the last four have been cast loads as I am trying to find something that won't aggravate the bulged disk in my neck. Mine is a Win Mod 70, Classic stainless, (nearly a necessity up here). Anyway if you decide to go cast try an NEI .375-304-GC, I bought a couple hundred from Bullshop on the other forum and my rifle loves them. Right now I'm trying to find the recoil level that my neck can stand vs. accuracy vs. enough energy for a brown bear. Once I get it all wrung out and dialed in I'll be sure to post the results. Take care

-Klaus

d-o-k
08-05-2006, 06:06 AM
ADI AR2206H = H4895
AR2208 = Varget
AR2209 = H4350
AR2213SC = H4831
AR2217 =H1000
AR2219 =H322
AR2225 =Retumbo

This is a comparisson of ADI to Hogodon Powers as a lot of Hogodon powders are manufactured in Aust for Hdgodon now

Dave

ancestor
08-06-2006, 12:59 AM
Klaus, I have not considered reduced loads,mainly use her for the occaisonal wander thru the bush. I find I can shoot about 10 loads off the bench before i start getting knocked about and the flinch arrives.However I have found prolonged shooting is not so good for the scope,I have had 2 scopes come apart inside. Do not feel at all any discomfort shooting at animals in the bush and it sure puts them down. Getting components down here is not easy. I am using Hornady 270 grn and 300grn bullets, graham :coffee: