PDA

View Full Version : 451 round ball in 45ACP

dale clawson
05-15-2006, 01:09 AM
I came about a lee 451rb mold in a group of molds I bought on Ebay, but the only gun I had in that dia. was my 1911 45. I remembered seeing rb loads in my reloading books for the 45acp rimmed, so I decided to load some up . I used Alcan 7 because I have a lot of it . 5.5 gr. gives good accuracy, but does not cycle the action. I could drop to a 6 lb. spring and get it to cycle,but I would worry about forgetting and touching off a +p load, possibly eating a slide sandwich! For plinking, shooting rabbits in the garden, yes ,I live in the sticks, or letting my grand children shoot with something they can handle, it fits the bill. Its touchy getting set up to seat the ball halfway, and setting my lee fc die, but moves along smoothly on my Lee classic turret press after that. That fourth hole makes it easy to add the fc die after the powder through die with the powder measure. 100 rounds are quickly assembled, and make for some fun shooting.

Toney
05-15-2006, 01:38 AM
Neat load! I will have to try some

krag35
06-01-2006, 11:01 PM
How'd this turn out? Sounded interesting
krag35

dale clawson
06-02-2006, 12:20 PM
I need to spend time at the bench to properly evaluate these loads, but in shooting rabbits at about 25yds. I'd say they shoot lower than the 200gr. loads I've been shooting. Cast of wheel weights,there is no expansion judging by the few recovered balls, but the rabbits haven't noticed. Business has kept me from shooting as much as I like, well, if I shot that much, I'd be out of business.