PDA

View Full Version : Shot loads for the 45ACP

dale clawson
05-15-2006, 12:32 AM
Shot loads for 45ACP: After reading about shot loads for 45colt, I began trying shot loads for my 45acp. Due to the limited case capacity, I selected the fastest powder I had, bullseye. 3.5gr. looked safe with the light shot load. Topping the powder with a styrofoam wad, I compressed it firmly with a fired 223 case to flatten the styrofoam as much as possible. 85 to 90 gr. of #8 shot( smallest I had)filled to just below the rim. Another wad was pressed firmly on top, and glued with Elmer's glue. After a few failures to hold, I substituted Dap tub and tile caulk, with better results. Patterns from 10 ft. covered 8 in. on a paper plate, a little sparse for my liking. Did test it on a snake that had gotten himself hopelessly stuck in a bullet hole left bt my Ruger old army with 230 gr. slug. I put it out of its misery from 5 ft. with one shot of #8. One in. hole. I snapped a shot at a starling who was trying to nest on my porch, at 50 ft. it dropped dead! I was more surprised than the bird. Hovering carpenter bees working on my deck met their end quickly. These do not cycle the action, but feed through my 1911 from the magazine ok.

dale clawson
05-15-2006, 12:45 AM
In a quest for more shot capacity I Cut a 30-06 case just below the shoulder, and ran it in a 41 mag. die a little at a time , turning the case each time I advanced the case farther into the die, got an offcenter neck the first time, until it would just chamber in my 1911. About 1\2 oz. #8 shot on top of 4 gr. bullseye gives an impressive pattern fired into water puddle at 15 ft. Of course this load has to be loaded singlely, and dumped from the action. Fun load to play with.

dale clawson
05-15-2006, 01:28 PM
The low pressure generated does not expand the case, so reloading doesn't require resizing. I have reloaded thse several times so far, it is something to do with cases with split necks.

versifier
05-15-2006, 07:56 PM
Dale,
There was an interesting thread about loading shotshells for handguns on the Cast Boolits Forum a month or two ago. There were lots of different methods discussed and evaluated. I think you'd find it interesting.

robertbank
05-20-2006, 10:00 PM
I have made shot loads up for my .45LC as well. Instead of using foam try cutting out cardboard from a cigarette package or a corn flake box instead. I do that and top the case off with another similar cut piece, crimp and apply candle way to ensure the top was stays in place. Might give you a little more capacity for shot.

Take Care

doc25
05-22-2006, 06:44 PM
I have made shot loads up for my .45LC as well. Instead of using foam try cutting out cardboard from a cigarette package or a corn flake box instead. I do that and top the case off with another similar cut piece, crimp and apply candle way to ensure the top was stays in place. Might give you a little more capacity for shot.

Take Care

Maybe you can use .454 casull brass to make a longer shotshell as well.

Here is my .357 mag recipe. 5gr 700x, WSP primer, about 95 gr 7 1/2 shot (about 69 pellets). I use a cereal box over powder wad and a regular cardboard box over shot wad that I crimp and use clear nail polish to seal with. It shoots well and does not make the hole in the center of the pattern that the commercial ones are reported to do.

I know guys who use reversed gas checks to close bullet but they report getting hole in center of pattern probably due to GC engaging the rifling and centrifugal force causing the shot to spin.

robertbank
06-07-2006, 01:39 PM
Neat idea. .454 cases would work and definitely add capacity. Anyone out there want to donate 10 cases to the cause? I like your nail polish idea to seal the top wad. Wax works but the nail polish would be easier to apply.

Take Care

doc25
06-12-2006, 11:08 PM
As you noticed I said use clear nail polish. If you use fire engine red nail polish you will likely attract the attention of odd men at the range!!!