PDA

View Full Version : Home made shot!

d-o-k
08-28-2005, 06:43 AM
Ok! Calling all Rocket sientists.......Who has ever cast their own shot with homemade equipment ? I've been trying with a pan with 1/6 inch holes ! Held over a tub of water at a height of about 12" but I'm ending up with tear shaped shot! Any thoughts/suggestions?

Dave

RugerFan
08-30-2005, 12:54 AM
I haven't actually done it, but I got a hold of some ooold plans for a "Francis Bros. Shot Pot". Shoot me an e-mail at wolf913a@aol.com and I will send you the jpegs. The plans look a bit "Micky Mouse" to me, but maybe the darn contraption works.

I am also interested in making my own shot. John Wooters shows a pic of one in a book he wrote, but no intstructions on how to build one. His shot maker looked similar to the Littleton shot maker (a bit pricey at $375.00 http://littletonshotmaker.com/.

RugerFan
08-31-2005, 03:33 AM
Dave,
Also check out the following link. Very good info here:

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/vie...der=asc&start=0

d-o-k
09-13-2005, 10:49 AM
Cheers mate have PMed you & e=mailed so hope fully you get the address.

Dave

Toney
10-04-2005, 03:08 AM
[smilie=f: You guys figured it out yet

manleyjt
10-17-2005, 12:45 AM
Hey Guys Here is something I can help you out with. I have made shot with a littleton shot maker. The tail issue is common when using diesel fuel as coolant, dimples (like those on a golf ball) are common when using water, and the best is to use antifreeze. All will create a problem when washing and drying. if you do not wash and dry and graphite the shot will bridge in the loader and in barrel.

The nozzle on a littleton shot maker has a small hole that drops the lead stream at 90 degrees to a small lip that rolls the shot. the shot rolls off an goes into the coolant. it is best to have the coolant drop not more that 1/4 inch. so you will need to have some method of an auto level in the coolant tank (could be a small hole or tube that lets the coolant out as the shot enters the tank and allows you to catch the coolant and reuse).

You will need some method to dry the shot after washing the coolant off - wasiest is to use an old vacuum to push air through the shot. old units will heat the air and you can attach the hose to the outlet of vac.

After dry, you need to coat with graphite or mica. you can make a small tumbler (coffee can if cheaping it) to coa the shot. put shot in and leave space, put graphite in ( john deere uses graphite in their crop planter that use plates to dispense the seed), and roll or shake to coat all the shot.

You should also sort the shot to get large or fine shot segregated. If youa re worried about it.

I learned to make shot from acouple of good "olde" boys that I shoot with (that is literal in both senses of the word). These two guys have shot thousands of pounds of shot made from wheel weights or lead/wheel weights mix. They are on the winning team of our leage for the past six years. If you do your part the homemade shot will do it's part.

If you need more description you can email me if you are a member.

You should also take a look at the littleton shot maker. It is a little pricey but it could be fabricated. the heat source is an elctric range element. pot is aluminum. Nozzles can be bought from Littleton or if you are handing you can make your own.

Toney
10-17-2005, 02:58 AM
Welcome aboard manleyjt!!! Glad to hear from ya

Toney