PDA

View Full Version : Iron Vs Scopes for kids learning to shoot

d-o-k
08-21-2005, 04:11 AM
I've just been elected Feild rife Capt of our Local range ! (a dubis honnur)One of my duties is to arrange a kids /juniors shoot. Now I come from the Old school of thought of training kids with Iron sights & then progressing up to scopes ! But of course! I'm getting a lot of flack from the Scope only members ,who have never shot with lever guns or in the field ! Only ever shot on the range ! Any opinions on the Iron/scope debate?

Dave

Toney
08-27-2005, 09:19 PM
iron shights would be best for young eyes

d-o-k
08-28-2005, 06:48 AM
That's the way I've been thinking along those lines I must admit ! It will seperate the wheat from the chaff that's for sure ! I know I started with Iron sights many years back & it has come in handy over the years !

Dave

snowtigger
10-02-2005, 04:41 AM
Iron. If your scope quits, you got a backup.

John L. Takach
10-15-2005, 09:38 PM
iron iron iron!!!
young eyes tend to use a scope to scan for game.
iron sights take away that temptation.
just another old guy's opinion.--John L. Takach

d-o-k
10-17-2005, 05:05 AM
iron iron iron!!!
young eyes tend to use a scope to scan for game.
iron sights take away that temptation.
just another old guy's opinion.--John L. Takach

Nothing wrong with Old eyes John! Trust me on that ! I've just picked up a Old Lithgow .22 single shot with iron sights & the kids love it ! The Problem is that the wife has claimed it as her own ! But it is a joy to se the jkids having a ball with it (as is the wife ) to say nothing of me having a trip down memory lane !

Dave

John L. Takach
10-17-2005, 03:34 PM
hay D-O-K the thing about using a scope to scan the wooded area is
what may be in the scope could be something or someone that is a
touch of the trigger away from harm

David R
10-22-2005, 11:51 PM
I think they should learn both, start with Iron, and once shooting habbits are proper, then move up to a scope. I have seen many men that use a scope and just don't get the hang of it. I grew up with one. Some of the matches I shoot are for military rifles, or just Iron sites only. Now that my eyes are getting old, I prefer a scope, but still shoot the iron matches.

David

swamp
04-11-2009, 05:41 PM
I know this is an old thread but I cant help but respond.

Common man, iron sights for the kids, or any beginner for that matter. If you have to learn how to shoot with a scope after mastering iron sights, you're to dangerous to be shooting a gun in the first place.

rtracy2001
08-30-2009, 05:28 PM
Either standard iron sights or a receiver sight (peep sight). I learned on iron sights, but I wish I had learned with a peep. (I still have trouble keeping both eyes open when using a peep.)

Now days, the kids will learn to use a scope by playing Halo anyway. My 11-year old still curses open sights, but that is what she will use until I say otherwise. (I have let her use a scope a couple of times and man, Halo works! she can pick juebugs off a fence at 50 yards with he mom's 10-22.)