PDA

View Full Version : A nice gift

d-o-k
03-04-2006, 07:26 AM
The lad & I went up the range this morning to shoot a bit of Western action & to my supprise & his joy (the Lad ) THe other gent whom we tend to shoot with had made up some .410 brass rounds by reforming .303 brit cases and machining the rims a little thinner to fit newer models ! Needless to say the lad was overjoyed by this ! The other chap themn mentioned that he had a stack of origanal brass .410 ammo for the Enfied converstions (fully loaded as it turned out ) I was able to go back down the hill to home & ring a matewho has one of these Old MkIII convertions & we were able to play round with these old rounds! Quite a event ! (if only my shooting had been up to scratch it would have been better !)

Dave

Toney
03-04-2006, 03:57 PM
I've seen the converted rifles, but did'nt know you could convert the cases to 410. Neat!!!

d-o-k
03-05-2006, 02:28 AM
I've seen the converted rifles, but did'nt know you could convert the cases to 410. Neat!!!
Yeah the origanal rounds were made up out of .303 brass & loaded with light shot or slugs as a Riot /crowd control round The SMLE convertions have a fair bit of headspace when using the New ammo Not that this is noticed . It was just great to fire the weapon with the correct type of ammo !

Dave

kg42
03-05-2006, 02:53 AM
Now you guys did it! I want one!

What is so special about the 410?
More than a decade ago, I bought a Belgian or French gun mag featuring a Lefaucheux 12mm "Dragon" ; not your ordinary politically correct european 12mm cough-cough... but the european equivalent of the 410.
Now i am not a fan of open tops or looooong cylinders, but that gun has been haunting me since... It was bigger than a Colt Dragoon.... and so much meaner :twisted:
And please nobody tells me to buy a Maxine/BFR/Taurus in 410 or a S&W..... I don't LIKE them... Maybe a Dragoon/Walker could be converted 8)8) ...

And read that http://www.pistolsmith.com/viewtopic.php?t=19757 , everybody has fun with the 410 but me....!!!!! :cry:

Bullshop Junior
03-05-2006, 05:29 AM
When I was living in Montana, I had an old 410 that I used a lot, but I sold it last year because I out grew it. Any way me and dad were trying to find something that would work for the 410 shell, because 410's are a little costy. Well we made one out of a 303 and it worked. Dad never had time to make me more, but I used that one shell with slugs until that case was no use to the scrap yard.
DANIEL/BS JR.
P.S. Maybe I should get an old junky Lee enfield. My dad has one with a 8mm bore and that looks like junk.....Maybe I can convince him that it is junk and get it to a 410, 28 or maybe 20?? :mrgreen:

kg42
03-05-2006, 10:32 PM
Daniel, what kind of accuracy did you get? What did you hunt with it?

Did you cast your slugs? What powders, wads, etc...?

Thanks ;)
kg

d-o-k
03-13-2006, 01:10 PM
Kg over the years Ive used winchester slugs out of single barrel .410s with about 4inch groups at 30 yrds & Have used them on medium sized Goats out to about 40 yrds with great sucess in the chest heart/lung I've yet to try them through a sighted weapon !

Dave

kg42
03-13-2006, 08:49 PM
Thanks Dave!